Dangerous Areas In Bangkok

timonase

Khlong Teuy slums at night I guess would be dangerous. Mostly any "slum" I would say. A slum is generally considered a squatters compound in Bangkok.

Well, I'm not too sure about this. A few years back I used to live in the Bon Kai area of BKK (near Lumpini Tower) and would cut through - at all hours - the so-called "slum" there as a short cut to Rama IV Road and I never once felt unsafe or threatened there.

I would include the low-class guest house/restaurant Soi Ngam Duphlu/Soi Sribumpen area near the Malaysia hotel off Rama IV road as a much more dangerous place. It attracts not only low class foreigners, but also low class Thais. (Generalising, of course.)

Other potentially dangerous places in BKK:

1. Any low class Thai entertainment place, namely Karoake bars and ordinary bars.

2. Banglamphu area - numerous attacks on foreigners reported there over the years.

3. Samut Prakarn - in some respects a pretty lawless area.

4. Anywhere where a genuine complaint about bad service, being over-charged etc. can quickly escalate into a dangerous confrontation.

5. Anywhere where there are katoey.

6. Taxis in Bangkok - particularly for lone women at night - many women do not take taxis at night here because of the risks.

7. Patpong, Nana and Soi Cowboy.

8. OUTSIDE OF BANGKOK: Pattaya - ultra dangerous for many - Koh Samui - not too far behind - Koh Phangan - has it's fair share of murders, rapes, sexual assaults, beatings, muggings etc.

9. Thai rock concerts and festivals - particularly if free -

10. In the vicinity of technical colleges - rivalry between students belonging to different colleges can sometimes result in vicious "scraps" - machetes and guns being the favoured choice of weapon.

11. Songkran - for many Songkran means five or more days off work and the consumption of a lot of cheap alcohol - drunken fights and disturbances often result - even in BKK.

Khlong Teuy slums at night I guess would be dangerous. Mostly any "slum" I would say. A slum is generally considered a squatters compound in Bangkok.

Slum or not slum, there is no area in BKK comparable to Gangland in LA.

Even those shying away form common sense are pretty safe in Bangkok.

KhlongToey is my post code and I have seen nothing there other than a lively eco-system that has developed around Lotus and Carefour.

Safety is not high on my list of priorities in BKK. It just comes and is always there, like warm weather.

Reports, for those who love to collect them, do tell things happen - but sporadic occurrences in a 10 million people city.

IMO, safety concerns are more appropriate in places other than BKK or even Thailand as a whole.

Does he mean un safe for your wallet or mind if so after 3am around asok and to many lady boys asking for a ciggy and trying to get you to feel the balloons :o

Edited by colino

Does he mean un safe for your wallet or mind if so after 3am around asok and to many lady boys asking for a ciggy and trying to get you to feel the balloons :o

That's not a threat to the general safety of 10 mil people.

60% of Thais have never heard that Bangkok has ever been called that name. How many know about the overpass near the Landmark hotel on Sukhumvit and the katoeys pickpocketing there?