Thailand health ministry reports five new coronavirus cases

webfact

2 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Really???

You're late to the party !

If you're not "faux-naive" here is the story...

Yes we do have a thai minister who is a convicted drug trafficker (heroin !), and who spent 4 years in an australian jail.

Life is sweet... ????

https://www.smh.com.au/national/from-sinister-to-minister-politician-s-drug-trafficking-jail-time-revealed-20190906-p52opz.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sapson said:

Stunning really the UK near 10,000 infected and here less than 100, really truly amazing Thaland.

10,000 cases in the UK? The current total being reported there is 798.

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

But not officially confirmed, I suppose. Now it's starting to surface, private hospitals like the Christian one in Bangkok have acquired capability for testing and the bottleneck at NIH is surfacing in all it's ugly glory. 

Aint' that the truth - real ugly. 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2020/03/13/celeb-may-violate-cybercrime-laws-by-saying-he-has-covid-19/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluedoc said:

This really is more serious than just a stupid comment. This man is in charge of the Thai Nations health and he comes up with this blame the farrangs rubbish. His government needs to vet all his comments. He’s a loose cannon just saying things to do what? Upset the very few that are still trying to support his country. Anyone that has arrived in the last month will have been checked, so will be clear. Any that have been here over a month are obviously clear anyway. The fact that farrangs walk around without a face mask is two fold, firstly WHO have said they are only needed if you are infected so you don’t give it to other people and second as most of the people in Thailand that are farrangs are happy to be around other farrangs as they don’t have either. So health minister shut your dirty mouth as you talk s^*t,

Nobody is that dumb so I reckon either ; He is getting excuses in for the inevitable large increase in cases or a Farang shagged his mia noi.

Edited by joecoolfrog

In the newspaper that can not be named, the health ministry said about 4,200 cases are patients under investigation which in other words mean they have Coronavirus but not confirmed because testing facilities are overrun.

This number would put Thailand in the top numbers of cases worldwide after Italy and Spain but before Germany.

Now figure out yourself why this government is trying to hide the real numbers instead more racism against foreigners is sprouted.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brunolem said:

They are not really hiding data, it's just that they don't test.

Those who test, like South Korea or Italy, come up with catastrophic results...the others prefer to stay in the shade.

The problem is that the economy and the markets don't care, they just go as if everyone was infected...confirmed or not.

Interestingly, the worst affected market is the Thai SET...do markets know something that the Thai authorities don't, or pretend not to?

Taiwan, Singapore, and South Korea are proving to be the "gold standard" countries for how this pandemic should be dealt with, and all other countries of the world should consider it to be the model of how things should be done.  The relatively low numbers of "official" cases for any particular country are meaningless unless sufficient testing is taking place.

Aggressive testing, not only of symptomatic, but asymptomatic suspected cases seems to be a vital part of an effective strategy in dealing with this virus.  In Taiwan, SIngapore, and South Korea, this is the cornerstone of their proactive approach, which is absolutely necessary now.  However, In many other countries, you still can not be tested unless you are presenting symptoms and/or have recently travelled from a country with known community transmission.  This is not a proactive approach; it is only reactionary, and if there is anything that can be learned from the history of spread in China or in Italy, it is that reactionary strategies do not work well at all.

Without aggressive testing, a single asymptomatic case can and will become multiple cases, and multiple cases will turn into clusters, and clusters will turn into widespread community transmission before public health authorities are even aware there is a problem.

It seems to me there is a great deal of transparency and a fairly aggressive stance on dealing with the virus from the Thai government and health officials here in Thailand, but at the same time, curious lapses or conflicting information of some important topics that the public needs to know.  Is the present strategy with regard to who is allowed to enter the country, and what type of quarenteeining should be required sufficiently being addressed?  I hear conflicting reports from officials at present, so I wonder about this.

If you have precise and verifiable (science-based) information on these things and can provide links, please do so! 

According to a news report aired today by the National Broadcasting Services of Thailand, test kits are being distributed to about 35 hospitals and there are plans to add 20 more hospitals to the network, which would allow about 4,000 tests to be conducted daily.  Is this sufficient?  What do you think?  If you have precise and verifiable (science-based) information to add, and can provide links, please do so! 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

In the newspaper that can not be named, the health ministry said about 4,200 cases are patients under investigation which in other words mean they have Coronavirus but not confirmed because testing facilities are overrun.

This number would put Thailand in the top numbers of cases worldwide after Italy and Spain but before Germany.

It does not mean that at all.   Many of these people are being investigated only because they have recently arrived from hotspots or been in close contact with a known case. Most of them will prove not to have corona virus.

Conversely, the majority of cases are likely not under investigation due to being mild (or even asymptomatic) and not meeting the tight criteria being used to identify suspected cases.

Numbers of PUI are meaningless unless put into context understanding the criteria used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who are not aware, an excellent source of well-vetted data on the state of the worldwide outbreak, by country, can be seen at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

They have one statistic that really puts things in perspective and that I have not seen on other sites and that is "total cases by million of population"

If you sort the table by this stat, it shows you that Thailand has a very low number compared with the hotspots.

Thailand:

337542364_snapshot_2020-03-14at11_35_04AM.jpg.68d810681dca3246167fd6ffa3654999.jpg

Top Hot Spots (based on tot Cases/1M pop)

112145944_snapshot_2020-03-14at11_33_08AM.jpg.d3d5dd2048c942889d4e42f5722d74a2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It does not mean that at all.   Many of these people are being investigated only because they have recently arrived from hotspots or been in close contact with a known case. Most of them will prove not to have corona virus.

Conversely, the majority of cases are likely not under investigation due to being mild (or even asymptomatic) and not meeting the tight criteria being used to identify suspected cases.

Numbers of PUI are meaningless unless put into context understanding the criteria used.

In a civilised country I absolutely would agree with you.

However, I don't believe any of the Thai government propaganda.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

This is not a proactive approach; it is only reactionary, and if there is anything that can be learned from the history of spread in China or in Italy, it is that reactionary strategies do not work well at all.

How would you expect China to have adopted a pro-active policy with the Novel Corona Virus out break?

Edited by Traubert
Spelling

19 hours ago, Brunolem said:

They are not really hiding data, it's just that they don't test.

Those who test, like South Korea or Italy, come up with catastrophic results...the others prefer to stay in the shade.

The problem is that the economy and the markets don't care, they just go as if everyone was infected...confirmed or not.

Interestingly, the worst affected market is the Thai SET...do markets know something that the Thai authorities don't, or pretend not to?

The lies and deception from CCP China created this panic, by not telling the world for 2 months, even arresting whistle blower doctors, they allowed the Wuhan virus to be exported around the world, now countries that are too slow to recognize the effects, and are not taking extreme precautions on the health and economy side are being battered, that’s why for 2 days you had huge losses in the US, after an announcement without strong measures, then late friday, you had the announcements of strong measures and the US market rockets up, the world markets are all inter connected right now on the news, if they think it’s not being treated seriously by governments and may be, it lasts longer, then back down the markets will go, as for the SET, with these uncaring gangsters anything is possible

Total BS last night i saw a girl serving in a big music venue she was wearing a mask said she just had a flu her thai bf just returned from working in korea so he has not been tested or quarantined, i told her boss an older thai lady its her son, "she was being reckless" blank stare response so i got out of there quickly warned friends to stay away as it would have being busy later on.

Thai don't care about virus they are being told its foreigners they come with it and leave or something stupid made up excuse with no contact tracing, no locations, fake numbers, no testing and cyber laws threatened.

wearing masks just looks good...

• Like 2

If Thailand is serious about containing a severe outbreak, they should ban inter-provincial travel during Songkran.

You see what happened in China during CNY.

On the other hand, will some restriction like this announced - probably yes.

Will it be strictly enforced - no.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, unamazedloso said:

please give locations! i know of people in bkk that are positive and im not seeing verification in the media. Why? Hiding real stats much? Hope the government gets sick....

You might have noticed that this post was a quote of a news source. 

Saying "please give locations" is like shouting into the wind because neither the author, nor the news site is reading TV. 

That's not how the interwebs works. 

On 3/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, keith101 said:

I have been told that there are so many people who are sick and not being tested probably just assuming they have the flu or maybe dont want the numbers of infected to include up country stats as well .

Sharing the same drinking glass causes a lot of country people who sit around in groups to get sick as i did the one time i shared with the labourers who building my house , never did it again .

I am sure my Thai wife and myself are just getting over it, the doctor said no you not have the flue you get problem from the grass fires what a joke but that Thailand. a bigger problem the Aust dollar dropped a whole baht last night big trouble ahead

I'll give it a week, and if official/real sources suggest Pattaya is a place to avoid, then I will self-insulate up in the village home in Nakhon Nowhere .  New Tesco Lotus and Big C thankfully only 30 mins away. 

On 3/13/2020 at 1:09 PM, PatOngo said:

Would that be due the total incompetence of the foul mouthed, xenophobic health minister?

You and I might well think that, but he's in the government so Prayuth must love him and Prayuth must thinks that Thais in general love him and that he reflects their opinions (no matter what they pretend to you and me).

Best to just let them get on with it in my opinion. They know best - their country, their future.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, sapson said:

Stunning really the UK near 10,000 infected and here less than 100, really truly amazing Thaland.

Health minister blaming farangs for not wearing a mask yet his fellow ministers cronies allegedly seemed to have acquired a few million.....

Meanwhile every pharmacy and 7/11 in my area are sold out....so how exactly would numb nuts expect us farangs along with his own people be able to buy and wear one.?

And as stated many times before, they DO NOT DO ANY GOOD, USELESS.

He should be dragged into the center of bangkok and made to kiss the feet of every farlang that walks passed i dont think you will see him on the streets for a ling time because someone will get him he is a sick individualand should be locked up and lets hope the uk goverment do the same to thais  here in the uk