Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft board

rooster59

Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft board

2020-03-13T211753Z_1_LYNXMPEG2C280_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-ECONOMY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Bill Gates, Co-Chair of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, attends a conversation at the 2019 New Economy Forum in Beijing, China November 21, 2019. REUTERS/Jason Lee

(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp <MSFT.O> co-founder Bill Gates, who made the company one of the world's most valuable technology firms, stepped down from the board on Friday to focus on philanthropic works related to global health, education and climate change.

The billionaire and his wife Melinda run one of the world's largest charities, the Gates Foundation, which has billions in assets and funds global health programmes to combat disease and poverty.

Gates quit his full-time executive role at Microsoft in 2008 and remained as chairman of the board till 2014. Since then he has been a board member.

"It's been a tremendous honour and privilege to have worked with and learnt from Bill over the years," Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella said.

With the departure of Gates from Microsoft Board, it will now consist of 12 members, the company said.

Gates also stepped down from the board of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc <BRKa.N>, where he has served since 2004.

(Reporting by Munsif Vengattil in Bengaluru; Editing by Arun Koyyur)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-14
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, balo said:

Bill Gates, where would we be today without him I wonder?

No Windows, no MS DOS. Maybe the world would have been a better place. 

You might just have it as Gates bought the dos program from an unsuspecting developer and then repackaged it to IBM.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, balo said:

Bill Gates, where would we be today without him I wonder?

No Windows, no MS DOS. Maybe the world would have been a better place. 

He created the free software movement.  If you shipped computer systems, with M$, you had to agree not to do the same with other operating systems.  Free software was the only place to go.     Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Facebook and many other companies would not be in business today without free software.  

Other than his standing up to China, not a fan. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Because all posters on here achieved nothing apart from getting married to a Thai and live on the money

they get send from overseas.

Marry to a Thai and get a marriage visa to brag about how they are contributing to the Thai economy. Everybody needs something to brag about otherwise life becomes empty and meaningless. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Marry to a Thai and get a marriage visa to brag about how they are contributing to the Thai economy. Everybody needs something to brag about otherwise life becomes empty and meaningless. 

Yes it's true but don't put someone down because he (she) achieved something.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ravip said:

At the rate people are been bashed, are there any good people on this planet other than the TVF posters? Seriously?

There is a quite accurate  expression that is well known in Australia...or used to be.

"if it is rotten a million blowflies can't be wrong."

51 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

There is a quite accurate  expression that is well known in Australia...or used to be.

"if it is rotten a million blowflies can't be wrong."

So the TVF 'blowflies' are right compared to the rest of the world (or the majority there-in)?

...and as you know very well, it's very rarely that someone gets applauded here-in!!!

33 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If he wants to give back so badly he could start with a refund for my lousy Windows 10.

To be honest, I never had any serious problem with Windows 10 Pro x64 that I am using. Maybe, I am been just lucky?

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

You joke surely he bought a QDOS off Tim Patterson for $50k and flogged it to IBM. The real genius has been forgotten, the bloke who Patterson was influenced by, putting it mildly, Gary Kildall, had to look it up, poor <deleted> but not a business man.

I tend to agree. He wasn't so much an innovator as a thief (OK, maybe that's a little harsh, but you get the point). I bet Mark Zuckerberg is still jealous. But still, Gates knew where the industry was going and made the right moves at the right time.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Stick with Win7 ... ????

I much preferred 7 but MS have already stopped technical support. Having said that, if some of the recent Win10 updates are a sign of things to come we are better off without them! ????  

• Like 1