The world is changing. How will Thailand react?

khunpa

1 hour ago, AjarnMartin said:

What’s a ‘diluted’ man? Someone who mixes water with his alcohol? ????

What is a diluted person?
transitive verb. If someone or something dilutes a belief, quality, or value, they make it weaker and less effective.
Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, baansgr said:

The seeds have already been planted, some banks refusing foreign currency, politions calling white foreigners dirty and spreading the virus...the long term effects should be more worrying to Thais..although they can be relatively self sufficient, without tourism dollars they are a p poor nation...prior to the millions that started coming in the early 2000s, Thais rarely had a car, telephone or even a TV...theoe days are around the corner very soon again

And there you have one of the main issues in this Country.

Many Trillions of Baht flooded into this Country during the Financial meltdown in early 2007/8

Thailand was taken from a Banana Republic to a wealthy Nation almost overnight.

Thats when the real problems with Corruption, and general attitude of some of the population started.

The nation is wealthy, but continues with the banana republic attitudes, and are very reluctant to change, whether thats because they dont want to, or are incapable of the ability to transition, who really knows

On 3/14/2020 at 1:51 AM, AussieBob18 said:

will it lead to Thailand changing those anti-western Expat policies

Thailand does not have anti western policies, but military like policies and pro money policies.

When the military took over they decided to do just that - take over, and started organise and

control more. it is not specifically against westerners, but just the asian way of control.

you can find the same measures implemented in japan, singapore and china.

but if you have money, no problem. for example, owners of elite visa or investment visa

are exempt from 90 days reporting, TM30, ext.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Traubert said:

Handshakes dont spread infection. There's whole series of events either side of a handshake that can make a handshake contribute to a possible communication of the disease. Maybe Thai people are a little more savvy than that.

Though savviness has surely been lost on you.

31 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
What is a diluted person?
transitive verb. If someone or something dilutes a belief, quality, or value, they make it weaker and less effective.

No thanks, Matzzon, I’ll just take more water with it... ???? I note that your generally supercilious attitude to most things has meant the erosion of your sense of humour... what a shame...

Edited by AjarnMartin

30 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I think it is a very dangerous situation and that is why i cancelled my visit to

THAILAND allthough it cost me dearly.

Indeed if the virus will beak thailand the way it is doing not to Italy, foreigners, or farang

as the locals call them, might find themselves in great danger. Not only from thai gangs and

criminals, but also from security forces who might find them as easy target.

as Pol Pot, the butcher from cambodia, said in his trial: "ASIA can be a wild place".

this comes from a man who did not hesitate to kill one third of his own people...

madness can break out in an unexpected way, once the bodies start piling up.

i've just red an article that says that this virus crisis might even lead to a new war

between china + china proxies and the farang world.

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. These things must happen, but the end is still to come.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:17 AM, Matzzon said:

No, most of the people will not blame you as a foreigner. That´s a very bad attitude to think like that. To me, that´s a bigger reason for You to be thrown out of Thailand.

You hoping for other farangs to be thrown out of the country , i hope your the first one to be hit by this situation . 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. These things must happen, but the end is still to come.

"I hear new news every day, and those ordinary rumours of war, plagues, fires, inundations, thefts, murders, massacres, meteors, comets, spectrums, prodigies, apparitions, of towns taken, cities besieged, in France, Germany, Turkey, Persia, Poland, &c., daily musters and preparations, and suchlike, which these tempestuous times afford, battles fought, so many men slain ... shipwrecks, piracies, and sea-fights, peace, leagues, stratagems, and fresh alarms. A vast confusion of vows, wishes, actions, edicts, petitions, lawsuits, pleas, laws, proclamations, complaints, grievances, are daily brought to our ears. New books every day ... whole catalogues of volumes of all sorts, new paradoxes, opinions, schisms, heresies, controversies in philosophy, religion, &c. Now come tidings of weddings, maskings, mummeries, entertainments, jubilees, tilts and tournaments, trophies, triumphs, revels, sports, plays: then again, as in a new shifted scene, treasons, cheating tricks, robberies, enormous villainies of all kinds, funerals, burials, deaths of Princes, new discoveries, expeditions; now comical then tragic matters. Today we hear of new Lords and officers created, to-morrow of some great men deposed, and then again of fresh honours conferred; one is let loose, another imprisoned, one purchaseth, another breaketh; he thrives, his neighbour turns bankrupt; now plenty, then again dearth and famine; one runs, another rides, wrangles, laughs, weeps, &c."

Richard Burton, The anatomy of melancholy

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:28 AM, Matzzon said:

They??? One diluted man has done that. 

If you really think it's only one man thinking like that ,i geuss your not staying in thailand or your living under a rock . Time for you to start opening your eyes . And don't look at thais that are in tourist areas but people that are not really in contact with farangs , they tend to believe whatever one diluted man is telling them . 

On 3/14/2020 at 11:14 AM, khunpa said:

Yes, I think that too. And I am worried about the effects of that. 

Now that they do not have any kids stuck in a cave somewhere, the Farangs are not of much use.

Your overthinking something a not so smart minister said,and now his Twitter account is closed. Have they found any infected western foreigners in Thailand so far? I think not. Don't worry. 

Edited by Max69xl

33 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

If you really think it's only one man thinking like that ,i geuss your not staying in thailand or your living under a rock . Time for you to start opening your eyes . And don't look at thais that are in tourist areas but people that are not really in contact with farangs , they tend to believe whatever one diluted man is telling them . 

I'm living in Thailand since many years, and Thai people dislike their ministers (especially in this government) much more than they dislike foreigners. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Thailand does not have anti western policies, but military like policies and pro money policies.

When the military took over they decided to do just that - take over, and started organise and

control more. it is not specifically against westerners, but just the asian way of control.

but if you have money, no problem. for example, owners of elite visa or investment visa

silver lining is all good - but the Junta are definitely anti-western and pro-china

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

"I hear new news every day, and those ordinary rumours of war, plagues, fires, inundations, thefts, murders, massacres, meteors, comets, spectrums, prodigies, apparitions, of towns taken, cities besieged, in France, Germany, Turkey, Persia, Poland, &c., daily musters and preparations, and suchlike, which these tempestuous times afford, battles fought, so many men slain ... shipwrecks, piracies, and sea-fights, peace, leagues, stratagems, and fresh alarms. A vast confusion of vows, wishes, actions, edicts, petitions, lawsuits, pleas, laws, proclamations, complaints, grievances, are daily brought to our ears. New books every day ... whole catalogues of volumes of all sorts, new paradoxes, opinions, schisms, heresies, controversies in philosophy, religion, &c. Now come tidings of weddings, maskings, mummeries, entertainments, jubilees, tilts and tournaments, trophies, triumphs, revels, sports, plays: then again, as in a new shifted scene, treasons, cheating tricks, robberies, enormous villainies of all kinds, funerals, burials, deaths of Princes, new discoveries, expeditions; now comical then tragic matters. Today we hear of new Lords and officers created, to-morrow of some great men deposed, and then again of fresh honours conferred; one is let loose, another imprisoned, one purchaseth, another breaketh; he thrives, his neighbour turns bankrupt; now plenty, then again dearth and famine; one runs, another rides, wrangles, laughs, weeps, &c."

If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,  But make allowance for their doubting too;   
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,  Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,  And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster  And treat those two impostors just the same;   
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken  Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,  And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings  And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings  And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew  To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you  Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,   If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute  With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Life is the same as it always was, but me thinks more people now dont understand it as much as the people used to understand it.  Aussie Bob

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 5:11 AM, Shoeless Joe said:

When you say "they", I assume you mean the Thai government, which couldn't be further from the truth. You are basing your ludicrously wild assumptions on a couple of statements made by the Health Minister. The first, we could see was his annoyance at being ignored by a tourist when handing out face masks (and I wonder how that tourist feels now?). This is a n official who is under immense pressure and intense scrutiny AND it seems the alleged second comment originated via a Twitter feed (now taken down) from his office was likely published by staffers.
So you're take that "they" have started blaming foreigners is at the very least spurious. There haven't been any such pronouncements from the Prime Minister's office and experience has shown us that his declarations are what really matters.

Regards,

Joe

They (the Thai on the Bangkok Omnibus) are fed that Thailand is the centre of the Universe, The king is a deity, and Buddhism is the only religion from day one of their lives.
Of course they believe all their problems emanate from "Dirty Foreigners" 
Who remembers when AIDs was prevalent and who was to blame for that.
Maybe they had a point then.
On the point of the PM, He hasn't denounced the statements made by Anutin.

38 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Your guess is wrong, as well as your belief about the Thai people. I have been living and staying in Thailand for over 20 years, so I´ve come a little bit further than Nanaplaza, and I not fixated on 6 as you seem to be. Today I have a good life with a wife and two children. You know, living the life you only dream about.

However, if so many people tend to believe what one man and the government are telling them, why do you see so much demonstration on the streets right now? Is that because people are happy and trust the government? I do not guess, I know it´s time for you to wake up. I have been living in many places that are not tourist areas, like on the country side of Surin, in the outskirts of Yasothon and in a small village close to Petchabun as some examples. I´ve never met people that show anything else than kindness to me, and accept me like one of them.

Clearly I have so much experience of living in Thailand, that you are the one with a blindfold. Just wake up and see reality and not the kind of weird stuff drunken friends, the ones that lost it all and blame Thailand for it and the news are feeding you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I thought you couldn't sleep because of your non-existing income letter. You sound a bit bitter. 

What is wrong with you people - those like you - I am truly lost for words - get help

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

And you might want to look at this post and replies - it is a fact for many Expats in Thailand.

51 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You hoping for other farangs to be thrown out of the country , i hope your the first one to be hit by this situation . 

Sorry to disappoint you. That will just not happen. Your hope is in vain. The chance that I will will be thrown out of the country is approximately same big as being hit by a Boeing Jumbo Jet.

And, yes! If somebody is so misinformed that they cook up a story of millions of Thais sharing Anutins look at foreigners, and believe that the Thais are going to want us gone or maybe be aggressive against us, just because of a virus. Yeah, then I do not share the belief that person is a suitable entity to reside in Thailand. On the other hand, if that is ones belief, why in the world is the person worried, questioning it and seem to wait and see if something happens. In that case it´s just to pack the bags and take the safe way out, instead of running scared.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:51 AM, AussieBob18 said:

Actually, and please dont take this the wrong way anyone, but on this level of thinking I see the corona virus as a good thing in this regard, and it is worth discussing what will happen in Thailand over the next 1-3 years for Expats. The economic disaster that has been going on for years has started to bite because of this virus.  The virus has clearly shown the dangers of the all eggs in 1 basket tourism approach (discourage westerners). And the virus has clearly shown the downside of pushing out the Expats. 

But the point is, will it lead to Thailand changing those anti-western Expat policies, or will it lead to them doubling down on them.  I think it will be one or the other - I cant see it not being addressed - the issues and results are on full show and I can assure all TV posters that this is being talked about on many Thai media outlets and social media platforms (cannot link for TV rules).  Right now if there was an election this weekend, IMO the Junta would be thrown out, and most of their policies (especially towards westerners) would then be reversed. But the Junta might double down and all that, so it could get worse if/when they blame Expats and foreigners for it all. 

This is quite a good assessment in regards to what's going on with western expats etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

A wonderfully literate piece of writing.  However, the author was ROBERT Burton, not Richard Burton.  Nevertheless, thanks for the post!

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

even if they did not make it in a lab, and this has been scientifically disproved by DNA analysis, they did suppress the information by arresting the first eight doctors who sounded the alarm. then they delayed as long as possible while they cranked up production over night using their gigantic communist slave labor force to make masks and everything needed to fight a pandemic. they had about a month lead time compared to the rest of the world.  now they are coming out as the saviors of the world offering free support to everybody except the USA of course. They are really going after Italy now.

they run a huge social media disinformation campaign running 24/7 against the west. no different than radio Moscow during the cold war.

it is a real opener to monitor Radio China International on the short wave bands. Broadcasting the poison and lies in Thai and just about every language in the world.

Well they did make it in a lab and correct they did suppress information and are the true evil in this world. I would gather the numbers who died are way way higher than they let out and the actual virus probably hit more than quite a few million people there. They might release another one someday that will curtail and dwindle their out of control population. I am sure they see the need to have to do it and in the end if it hurts and decimates the world I would bet all they think is it is an easier world for them to take control of. So will we ever really hear of how many people were infected and how many deaths they truly had? Not a chance!

On 3/14/2020 at 11:51 AM, AussieBob18 said:

Actually, and please dont take this the wrong way anyone, but on this level of thinking I see the corona virus as a good thing in this regard, and it is worth discussing what will happen in Thailand over the next 1-3 years for Expats. The economic disaster that has been going on for years has started to bite because of this virus.  The virus has clearly shown the dangers of the all eggs in 1 basket tourism approach (discourage westerners). And the virus has clearly shown the downside of pushing out the Expats. 

But the point is, will it lead to Thailand changing those anti-western Expat policies, or will it lead to them doubling down on them.  I think it will be one or the other - I cant see it not being addressed - the issues and results are on full show and I can assure all TV posters that this is being talked about on many Thai media outlets and social media platforms (cannot link for TV rules).  Right now if there was an election this weekend, IMO the Junta would be thrown out, and most of their policies (especially towards westerners) would then be reversed. But the Junta might double down and all that, so it could get worse if/when they blame Expats and foreigners for it all. 

look at the upside.  this virus could be a god send.  in one way it is here to test our spirituality or lack of it.  the stock market plummets and Mammon is falling.  all those rich cats will have no where to seek solace.  this could become a much needed paradigm shift that is long over due for our ever dependent image conscious species.  i am hoping that this crisis will serve as a crucible in an effort to force us to examine and redefine our values.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, Logosone said:

I was a foreigner in the Caribbean once, when hurricane Ivan hit. Before the hurricane most locals were anti-foreigner

hilarious  really when I  guess those "locals" werent  so  local 400 years  ago

11 minutes ago, malibukid said:

look at the upside.  this virus could be a god send.  in one way it is here to test our spirituality or lack of it.  the stock market plummets and Mammon is falling.  all those rich cats will have no where to seek solace.  this could become a much needed paradigm shift that is long over due for our ever dependent image conscious species.  i am hoping that this crisis will serve as a crucible in an effort to force us to examine and redefine our values.

money number one.....and 2 -3-4-5-6-7-8-9

• Like 1

I think that very soon the only foreigners left in Thailand will be the retired expats and a smattering of foreign workers. The situation is very grave , and people will not be travelling anywhere for a while. 
There will be a reaction, hotels, restaurants catering to holiday makers will be empty, condo rentals and sales will stop, shops of all kinds will not have any customers. Plus, who knows what the situation will be with health care, hospitals etc ? A lot of Thais will loose their jobs, it’s all very sad. With no help from the government , how will the Thais manage ? In Europe we have all sorts of social care and help, and even people who are at home instead of at work will not have their salaries frozen. The reaction will not be good for normal Thais.