Logic behind high 'tourist' green fees

chingmai331

Big promotion at Alpine, a top course near CM, last Sunday. Thai and Thai resident pay 1300 baht, tourist pays 3000 baht.

Yeah, i get the logic behind the public parks charging 'farang' fees at 2x the local since the locals pay tax and must live with govt.  But how on earth can golf courses charge 2x, or more, simply because of a tourist stamp, not a long-term visa.  Is there a govt reg which  specifies what green fee to pay at private golf courses?

Don't the private courses want more players?  

Alpine was not crowded but my friend stayed home.  

You are obviously not long enough in Thailand when you are still looking for some logic.

There is no logic! You can search for it as long as you want but you won't find it because if was never there.

Don't expect logic and life becomes a lot easier.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, timendres said:

Logic? You know we are in Thailand, right?

I would walk up, ask the fee. When told 3,000, I would simply say "I can afford 2,000". If they did not take that, then I would walk. Maybe if enough people did that, they might rethink their pricing.

The guy at the cashier has her/his rules and is not the boss who can decide. So it´s useless to try it. It´s not the cashier´s business so she/he doesn´t care if you leave or not.

23 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Not always. Depends on their numbers/overheads etc.

For logic try this perhaps the promotion was to try and encourage people to play more often there (maybe join) so did not want to offer to tourists who will not be regular customers..........

Or maybe to reward regulars.

Anyway sounds a great price for the weekend - I hope you took advantage of it? 

12 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

The guy at the cashier has her/his rules and is not the boss who can decide. So it´s useless to try it. It´s not the cashier´s business so she/he doesn´t care if you leave or not.

make it his business.

3000 for tourist, but 1300 for resident?  offer the cashier 500 to give you the resident fee.

and now she/he cares.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, timendres said:

Logic? You know we are in Thailand, right?

I would walk up, ask the fee. When told 3,000, I would simply say "I can afford 2,000". If they did not take that, then I would walk. Maybe if enough people did that, they might rethink their pricing.

Seriously?  Cashiers get paid the same whether you play or not.  Besides, farangs who are Thailand residents get the same price as Thais.  Only the tourists get fleeced. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Seriously?  Cashiers get paid the same whether you play or not.  Besides, farangs who are Thailand residents get the same price as Thais.  Only the tourists get fleeced. 

Not exactly a gimme to become a Thai Resident is it.....only 100 can apply and be accepted every year??

On 3/16/2020 at 7:40 PM, chingmai331 said:

Thai and Thai resident pay 1300 baht, tourist pays 3000 baht.

Yeah, i get the logic behind the public parks charging 'farang' fees at 2x the local since the locals pay tax and must live with govt.  But how on earth can golf courses charge 2x, or more, simply because of a tourist stamp, not a long-term visa.  Is there a govt reg which  specifies what green fee to pay at private golf courses?

Alpine was not crowded but my friend stayed home.  

This is why it is unlikely that many tourists will return, they are not stupid. 

Double pricing does irk people. To have it published and endorsed by the government as official policy as in Natl. Parks makes it worse. 

Add this to the unknown of Covid phase 2 and people will be unlikely to commit to flying long distance only to be stuck outside their country again.

Might get the odd Chinese but do they play golf and visit natl. Parks?

• Like 1

It is ridiculous to complain about dual pricing.

Many western countries do it.

The City of San Diego gives big golf discounts to residents.  One of the courses is Torrey Pines where they will play the US open in the future.  Big discount I believe about 1/2 green fee for those with a resident card.

And places like Disneyland have offered discounts to state/local residents during certain times for years.

So, no need to cry discrimination.  If you don't like it or cannot afford it, then don't go.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I wish this were true, but it's not.  Tourists will keep coming back during the high season every year.  Yes, they clog up the courses...but it's a necessary evil.  The tourists paying the higher green fees is what allows the courses to survive.  At least in Chiang Mai. 

I don't get the logic of this thread.  Most of these courses wouldn't exist if not for the four months out of the year when the tourists show up.  And I'm not talking farangs.  It used to be the Japanese, then the Koreans.  Now it looks like the Chinese will be the new cash cows....although post-COVID, who knows.  They come in by the busloads. 

These tourists paying tourists prices allows the local Thai and foreigners to pay reasonable rates throughout the year.  So to the OP, you should appreciate that you even have a golf course to play on instead of worrying about how much they charge the tourists.  

Most if not all golf clubs in Thailand are owned by extremely wealthy Thais or large companies. You really think they depend on green fees for their income? You think Wangjuntr survives on it's income alone. My club were I play has never shown a profit since it opened in the 90's relying on the parent company to make up the shortfall. Our dual price 1st April to 31st October is 500 baht Thais for green fee, visitors 1000 baht.

I can show you an offer from a big course in Bangkok to a Korean group. 30 people for 60 days. Hotel room, breakfast, lunch, dinner, green fee. Excludes caddie and optional cart costs. 5 million baht.

• Like 1

I have seen GolgDigg also show some rates for Thais and foreigners on their app recently too. Obviously, the Thai rate is lower. Golf here annoys me. I love to play and we usually play every fortnight, but Thailand has absolutely no clue about golf, its etiquette and how a golf club should behave. 

The wife bought me a green fee pass for Muang Kaew course a year or two ago as an anniversary present. It was a nice enough course but nothing special at all and it cost 2800THB (70 GBP). Just for comparison, we played the Old Course in St Andrews last Easter for 110GBP. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bartpix said:

Just show the poster below which says these prices are upto September 30th 2020.

image.thumb.png.26938d0e9adcbffa9c4c99f2d58bd1b4.png

The Siam courses look a good deal as does Phoenix and Greenwood ....the rest are all within 100baht, more or less than what is available with PSC.  Also note that this month (maybe May Only??)Plu Ta Luang have introduced compulsory carts....sneaky.

6 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:
12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Nope, only need a Thai driver's license. 

What to be classed as a Thai Resident or apply to be a Thai Resident?

Do you even play golf?  When a golf course advertises a price and says "for Thais and Thai residents only," what do you think they're talking about?  All the foreigners I know just show their Thai driver's license to get the Thai rate.

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Do you even play golf?  When a golf course advertises a price and says "for Thais and Thai residents only," what do you think they're talking about?  All the foreigners I know just show their Thai driver's license to get the Thai rate.

While that is usually true, Greenwood informed me that this promotional price is for Thai citizens only.   Anyone been to any of these courses in the last week or so (with Thai Drivers' Licence) and obtained these rates?

PH

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

While that is usually true, Greenwood informed me that this promotional price is for Thai citizens only.   Anyone been to any of these courses in the last week or so (with Thai Drivers' Licence) and obtained these rates?

PH

I have never been to a golf course in Thailand that offered prices for Thai citizens only.  I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen it.  Sorry, but I've never heard of Greenwood.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I have never been to a golf course in Thailand that offered prices for Thai citizens only.  I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen it.  Sorry, but I've never heard of Greenwood.

To date, those I have been to that offer discounts, have always given that rate to falang with DL.  This, from what I have been told, is different (even though, apparently an initiative of TAT, figure that one out...internal toursim I guess while the borders are closed) and is why I asked for first hand experiences.

Greenwood is in Chon Buri province about an hour south east of Bangkok - Peter Thomson design and a good layout.  Well worth a visit, even at their usual rates.

PH

• Thanks 1

I don't think a thai driving licence makes any difference at all. I think if i got mine out they'd laugh me out of the clubhouse.

Most courses I've played the bar that arranges it negotiates a price for golfers who are foreigners and thais, same price. Whether Thais get a secret low price playing in their groups I don't know, if they do it's hidden (I'm talking about the Pattaya circuit courses).

Certainly at the Navy 9 hole courses in Sattahip, dual pricing is alive and well

22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Most single/male group tourists, specially from the Western countries, return for bars and girls and the possibility of finding a bride for marriage visas. Thais don't visit bars that westerners frequent and not going to marry a bar girl becuase they are already enjoying them for free. So no competion there. 

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't think a thai driving licence makes any difference at all. I think if i got mine out they'd laugh me out of the clubhouse.

Most courses I've played the bar that arranges it negotiates a price for golfers who are foreigners and thais, same price. Whether Thais get a secret low price playing in their groups I don't know, if they do it's hidden (I'm talking about the Pattaya circuit courses).

Outside of the Society golf circles it does....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yes i do play Golf,and have done for the last 20 years, i also caddied for 12 years at a private members club in Surrey till i retired 3 years ago. In my time here (on and off since 2007) my Thai drivers license has never made any difference in the Green fees i have payed at any Golf courses in Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Korat, Hau Hin or Chonburi.

• Like 2

Further to the above, Phoenix where i am playing tomorrow were not interested in my Dl or Pink card and my green Fee rate for tomorrow is 900 baht...a Thai that i am playing with, there Green Fee is 510 baht.

Edited by keithsimmonds