Visa to France suspended. Bangkok branch closed

All appointments made in Thailand for a visa to France have been cancelled until further notice.

TLS, the company dealing with visas for France and Portugal ( maybe other countries) has been told to close and it seems that no reopening planned before May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes 

Exactly and that worries me

My partner’s  trip and mine are planned end of June 

Appointment in April cancelled 

So I will definitely try to get in the queue as soon as and if they open again but it will definitely not be before the 17th of April 

We're planning on visiting Iceland in July/August, my wife has to apply via the Danish Consulate, she has an appointment tomorrow.

The Danes have said that applications for short term visas will be refused for travel to Denmark but there's no mention of Iceland

As far as we are aware her appointment for tomorrow is still on, they're still taking appointments for tomorrow.

The Danes have said that applications with special circumstances will be referred to Copenhagen for a decision.

It's worth pointing out that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee admission at the border.

• Like 2

I do doubt that the governments are going to be able to hold their people on a lockdown ( at least as it is ) for more than a month 

Fear, justified or not, has been instilled, again rightfully or not, and rather than educate people the decision has been taken to park them

Although it is a war against the virus this outbreak is not a palpable threat other than being  relayed by news and governments’ spokesman/ spokeswoman, and, of course, the victims and their families 

But that is my personal approach ( not a wishful thinking)

25 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You could well be right, but is that an educated guess or based on fact?

It took China around 3 months to even start returning to normality, and that was largely thanks to brutal restrictions on movement, a compliant population, and a health system significantly better prepared for this type of disease than the various European health systems.

For idealogical reasons, the EU is anxious to not restrict movement within the Schengen zone. There are small ways in which this could assist the fight - movement of personnel, equipment etc - but, overall, it is a major disadvantage. Based on how well things are going in Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria, it will take far longer for Europe to reach the stage that China is at now. Conservatively, six months seems about right but, of course, it could be far longer.

Edited by donnacha

5 minutes ago, alyx said:

I do doubt that the governments are going to be able to hold their people on a lockdown ( at least as it is ) for more than a month 

I agree. Already, after just a few days, many reports of people on lockdown getting bored and organizing raucous house parties, defeating the whole purpose.

People may be scared and shocked right now, but they will transition to blasé pretty quick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, donnacha said:

People may be scared and shocked right now, but they will transition to blasé pretty quick.

Sooner the better. There must still be a few people left who are not zombie sheep? I never saw such passive acquiescence; maybe the regimes are rehearsing for a proper war, and this would only encourage them.

• Confused 1

And I may just have been proven wrong regarding how long the ban on flights might last as my partner has just received a flight’s update although it is the company protecting itself 

127E46C6-3FAF-4CC3-B0FA-FC0D1A96416E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, spinner2020 said:

I never saw such passive acquiescence;

The vast majority are complying because they understand that, while the virus may not be a mortal danger to them personally, it is to the elderly and those with underlying conditions, in their families and their communities. They experience empathy. They do not want to inadvertently hurt other people. This is a good, ethical, and non-zombie-sheep-like way for normal humans to act.

• Like 2

Well, that may be true because most of the people are not travelling as extensively as the expatriates and....we are at the beginning of it. 
Also note that it has been enforced ( fine and jail for the trespassers ???? if I may remind you ) so I do not think that they go along because they think it is right and, definitely will not stick to this state of mind as soon as they realise that no one in their neighbourhood died of it 

By definition, humans have a short memory 

1 hour ago, alyx said:

And I may just have been proven wrong regarding how long the ban on flights might last as my partner has just received a flight’s update although it is the company protecting itself 

127E46C6-3FAF-4CC3-B0FA-FC0D1A96416E.jpeg

Thai is accepting bookings for CDG next week.

My flight with Thai to LHR on 1st April not cancelled as of 3 mins. ago (and still accepting bookings).

The ruling from EU is that foreign nationals will not be allowed entry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51927790

Finger crossed that airlines will consolidated flights (emptier because foreigners have had their tickets cancelled) to return nationals.

Only a few countries had banned flights prior to the EU ruling (which, according to CNN, is not legally binding).

UK yet to announce its participation in the ban.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-travel-ban-uk-eu-foreign-office-advice-dominic-raab-europe-a9407431.html

Edited by Enoon

Well our flights were on the 30th of June and both delayed 

not sure what is going on and I will enquire on site this afternoon but definitely not related to the nationality of the passenger as I am French and they have just reschedule mine as well 

33 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

EU has decided to close the borders 30 days from March 19,not 6 months. It was in the news this morning. 

Yes I know that, that's why I asked the question, I wondered if the poster who made the claim may have had some inside knowledge. 

23 hours ago, alyx said:

I meant that TLS was dealing with the visas of other countries. I am not sure that Austria is one of them

You are quite right, TLS at Sathorn City Tower deals with France, Portugal and Hungary.

Austria is done by VFS, I think in the Trendy building.

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Maybe not 6 months, but seriously?

You have to keep in mind that only 1 link in the travel chain has to break in order for your entire travel plan to die.  The departing airport/airplane, connecting airport/airplane, etc can be locked down at any time, destination airport/airplane.  At the whim of the govt. 

You should wait 1-2 months for the panic to calm down first.   Or put another way...let's say you do arrive in the destination airport.  What would you be able to do???  will a taxi/bus/etc even be available for you to get home?

These are all things to think about.    None of these circumstances are your fault, but still directly affect your travel plans.

3 hours ago, alyx said:

Apologies 

I misread their messages 

They only rescheduled the time of the return.

Three days a week, Thai had 2 flights from Paris to Bangkok. Seem fair that they cancel some of them nowadays. The flight from Bangkok to Paris was operated normally last night. With presumably only Europeans and permanent residents on board.

That mistake prompted me

to go to Thai airways anyway ( actually quite a lot of people waiting in line ) and asked them about the change of schedule:

Thai airways does not operate night flights from Paris to Bangkok at that time of the year. 
I then exposed my problem: my partner cannot apply for a visa as Schengen has closed its border. Please note that this ticket is not refundable. As we are a couple, we needed to travel together but my ticket expires on September the 30th. 
This has been solved: change authorised, free of charge with a deadline 25 of December 2020.

i have also asked if there were disruptions on that route: the answer is that flight are operating as usual 

15 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I'm in Austria. I do not expect to return to Thailand before may be July. You can say Europe is closed. Borders are shut. Many airports are shut.