New Laos Border Announcement

The US Embassy has issued a statement about new Laos border rules: https://la.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-vientiane-laos-march-17-2020/

Of note, it says: "Individuals not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms who enter Laos from a country with a common border with Laos and from a province of that country that also shares a border with Laos are required to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine if the province from which they entered has more than 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19."

The question is: what does self-quarantine actually mean?

I was planning on heading for Savannakhet. But can we still get a visa and come back next day?

Thanks for any updates.

4 hours ago, stewartthailand said:

I flew into Vientiane this Monday and flew back to Bangkok this morning. No hassle or different procedures at Watteau.

at Suvarnabhumi it was chaos. They blocked off the bottom of the slope up to immigration and were refusing to let anyone through who had not downloaded the AOT app and completed the online T8. Luckily I had done so with a backup paper T8 and was able to get through. This was about 12.30 pm and there was about 200 being held back and about 4 or 5 between all the IO desks ie no queues ????

I'm flying in tomorrow afternoon. What's the AOT app and online T8?

9 hours ago, ELLHNAS said:

Well seems Laos is Officially closed now for visa on arrival, sorry for breaking the news

Odd since the e-visa site is still up with no new announcements. https://laoevisa.gov.la/index

Nothing on the IATA website for Laos. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Perhaps it has not gone into effect yet.

http://vientianetimes.org.la/freeContent/FreeConten_Govt56.php

All visas on arrival and they said tourist visas ended - as of today.

They did say that you can get a visa from the embassy. I e-mailed the embassy and their consult but, they have not answered if this is true/

I have a trip booked from the 28th of March that seems to be yet another lost ticket as I had originally booked for Penang - which they locked down the other day.

What to do...it's a long train trip to Bangkok to just get told "NO."

Then coming back...the news says that I will need Virus Insurance (never heard of that) and a doctor's slip to get back in....is that true?

Where does one get virus insurance...?

I have just been told ( maybe rumour?) that the  Chong Chom crossing into Cambodia will allow  exit  but..... No re entry there. People are told they need  make their  way to Phnom Penh and fly back into Thailand....plus will require the  medical certificate and  health insurance !

If true perhaps same  might  apply at  any Laos crossing?

21 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I have just been told ( maybe rumour?) that the  Chong Chom crossing into Cambodia will allow  exit  but..... No re entry there. People are told they need  make their  way to Phnom Penh and fly back into Thailand....plus will require the  medical certificate and  health insurance !

Sounds like a rumor. Why would they let you leave the country if you could not enter again at the crossing.

Cambodia is still open for entry and Thailand is open for those from Cambodia by air or land.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Sounds like a rumor. Why would they let you leave the country if you could not enter again at the crossing.

Cambodia is still open for entry and Thailand is open for those from Cambodia by air or land.

I hope it is only rumor ! I only made what I have been told known so that it can be verified ,or dispelled.

Just now, jim hayes said:

So, some borders and Savannakhet airport have closed but people can fly in to Vientiane or Luang Prabang, if flights are allowed I would guess that entry via the bridge at Mukdahan is possible.

I've just read this on the news section. No more visa on arrival.

I was granted an evisa for Laos on Tuesday 17th March, the article mentions that if you already have a visa you also need to obtain a health certificate, surely no doctors in rural Isaan are testing for COVID 19!  

Plan B, go to immigration and apply for 60 day extension to visit my wife.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

This is not rumour anymore unfortunately .... this is true...

Yesterday, I crossed over from Chong Chom into Thailand at 7.10am on foot... no problems..

My friends arrived 4 hours later, and were informed, they could enter Cambodia, but.. they could only

re-enter Thailand by air from Siam Reap or Phnom Penh..

All of us, are on Non-O Multi Entry Visa's, Married to Thai National, and carry UK Passport...

I was lucky..

Edited by weaver93
  • Thanks 1

Government Notice!

With reference to the Lao Government measures to prevent the outbreak of coronavirus disease
(COVID-19), applicants should be informed that Lao eVisa Service will be temporary suspended with effective date from 19th March 2020 (17:00 GMT+7) until 20th April 2020.
Remark: Applicants who have received eVisa approval letter before 20th March 2020 can still use eVisa to enter the Lao PDR.

(From the Laosevisa.gov.la website)

I flew to Vientiane earlier this evening, Thursday 19th March.

I was nervous but then I found somewhere online that the cancellation of Laos VOA wouldn't happen until Friday. So I went to Don Mueang and asked the AirAsia check in staff and they said it was still ok for VOA.

So I flew to Vientiane and the taxi driver from Wattay International Airport said the suspension of VOA would happen tomorrow, Friday 20th, as I had read online. Is it ironic that the locals both here, and LOS, think they will soon allow flights from china and everyone in SE asia is now far more scared of "the farang" instead !??

But despite all the visa run companies cancelling the runs to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, there are no appointments for almost 30 days. And when an appointment is cancelled, from what I have heard, a new one does not then become available. Maybe just me, but I find it difficult to believe that all those appointments will be filled by people who are not using a Laos VOA.

And then I wonder what happens at the border to Nong Khai with insurance and medical certificates etc???

7 hours ago, jimjum said:

But despite all the visa run companies cancelling the runs to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, there are no appointments for almost 30 days.

I think i would go to the embassy and try to get the visa application done. I suspect there will be very few people there.

But you would not be able to pick up your passport until Monday unless they are making exceptions.

7 hours ago, jimjum said:

And then I wonder what happens at the border to Nong Khai with insurance and medical certificates etc???

The medical and insurance should not apply to you since you are not traveling from one of the listed countries.