OA visa issued April 2019 asked for insurance March 2020

I arrived back here yesterday on a valid OA issued April 2019. Used twice before. My last entry was 23 Oct 2019 and I was stamped in until 21 Oct 2020. I was asked for insurance because I was entering after the 31st Oct 2019. They stamped me in for a year after I pleaded for 30 minutes. They really did not know what they were doing. I have travel insurance that is valid until May, so they wanted to stamp me until then even though the policy is issued outside Thailand. Then they said they will give 90 days. Not sure what that was about.

I had been referred up 4 levels and dealt with 6 officers. I used the corona virus saying I did not want to travel but just stay here while things are bad. They were reasonably sympathetic and eventually caved. But the lady who stamped me in took a photograph of my passport and visa. Guess I was lucky. I thought this was all sorted but still an issue for me and hopefully only a 1 off. 

Entered at Swampy.

Edited by rhodie
added entry
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Sorry, entered at Suvarmabhumi.

I was actually on the same path as you...april 2019 issued and I went out in October returning before the 31st as a failsafe until things calmed down. Was going to head to Malaysia for that extra year but just cancelled all when they closed borders...probably for the best then...these IOs still are mixed up about it...like Russian Roulette with your Visa

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

I was actually on the same path as you...april 2019 issued and I went out in October returning before the 31st as a failsafe until things calmed down. Was going to head to Malaysia for that extra year but just cancelled all when they closed borders...probably for the best then...these IOs still are mixed up about it...like Russian Roulette with your Visa

I honestly did not expect it, but it was a bit worrying for the 30 minutes. I sat at a desk on my own for about 15 minutes while they were discussing it. 

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Wow, 4 months after the IO top decided that entering Thailand with a valid OA Visa (or permission to stay) IO border-immigration still don't have their act together!

Countless people (including myself) have entered and re-entered Thailand on a pre Oct 31, 2019 issued OA Visa and were stamped in for the fully year they are entitled to.

Luckily you did stand your ground otherwise they might have given you a 30-day VisaExempt stamp, or some other clueless period of stay.

FYI > There were 2 reports last month of people having trouble entering via Phuket on their valid OA Visa because of the health-insurance issue.  But you entered via Suvarnabhumi and had to deal with 6 officers before they stamped you in for the 1-year period you are entitled to ???

All OA-holders better be prepared to stand their ground when being challenged by these clueless border-immigration officers!

Or get insurance. Time is running out. I know its only March but don't be surprised if we hear more and more about this. There are the legal eagles on here who will state the police order xyz...but its not much good when you are put on the spot at immigration.

8 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Or get insurance. Time is running out. I know its only March but don't be surprised if we hear more and more about this. There are the legal eagles on here who will state the police order xyz...but its not much good when you are put on the spot at immigration.

Or switch to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa. 

When being refused on entry with a valid OA - Visa for reason of the health-insurance requirement, border-immigration will stamp you in for 30 days 'to get your act together'.

Instead of buying the bogus health-insurance (dirt-cheapest option now between 6.000 THB to 11.700 THB in the 50-74 age bracket), you can also immediately apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO and subsequently apply for the 1-year extension of that Visa (no health-insurance required).