Last squawk for cockfights for now

snoop1130

Last squawk for cockfights for now

By THE NATION

800_cde2c1f88ba58df.jpg

Covid-19 has slammed the door on cockfights, and don’t expect to see fighting fish in combat either, or horse racing or even human boxing matches, until the crisis is over.

Interior Ministry permanent secretary Chatchai Phromlert has ordered provincial governors and district chiefs nationwide to immediately stop issuing licences for organised events in these sports, a move that will save unlucky gamblers a lot of money.

Chatchai issued the order at the behest of Minister Anupong Paochinda, who wants to curtail large gatherings due to the virus hazard. 

“These kinds of activities increase the risk of Covid-19 infection among people,” Anupong said.

Even event organisers who’ve already received a licence have to call off their plans, he said.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved a proposal to shut down for 14 days all venues that host large gatherings, including restaurants and bars, in a bid to reduce the risk of contagion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384342

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-18

43 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

To the victor the spoils. To the loser the barbecue.

I presume you've never been to see cock fighting. They do not actually fight to the death here. Good birds are highly prized and they are separated once the winner becomes obvious. There is, of course always the risk of serious injury, but that's not the primary aim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Interior Ministry permanent secretary Chatchai Phromlert has ordered provincial governors and district chiefs nationwide to immediately stop issuing licences for organised events in these sports, a move that will save unlucky gamblers a lot of money.

The news of this ban must have been lost along the way;

this morning I attended two or three cockfights during my very short mountain bike ride..

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

The news of this ban must have been lost along the way;

this morning I attended two or three cockfights during my very short mountain bike ride..

Couldn't have got the memo. How very unusual.

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

This is just so dum and a little gay. This is not as manly as real cockfighting. ????

Why not just legalize gambling if this rubbish sport is allowed via permit. All my neighbors do this, see many weirdos riding around holding their cocks.

A possible metaphor for Thais in general perhaps...

Life is strange.

13 hours ago, ParkerN said:

It's still barbaric, same as it would be if it were dogs fighting.

3rd world mentality.

Barbaric, no other word for it. Demeaning for all humans, likewise bull fighting, bear baiting, dog fighting etc. Only enjoyed by low- life garbage.

• Like 1

There are the village illegals and there are the government-approved. This applies to the weekly lotteries, cockfights, housing construction, electrical installations, massages, marriages and just about anything else you can think of in this country.

Still today, here in my village, marriages are not registered because divorce is so much easier ... My b/f's oldest 2 full-blood brother & sister are 42 & 39 but they are 'twins' because registered only when the 2nd one came along ... and on & on. Most of Thailand is still the Wild East. A whole lot more interesting to live in than just about any 'Western' country ruled by an increasingly prissy mafia.