Thai authorities set to clarify situation on visa overstay as a result of COVID-19

webfact

Well, as of right now cbodia seems to be the only option, but I'll get my 30 day extension next week, and will ask in Thai about what the options are for when that 30 is up. I'd Cambodia hasn't closed its doors I can go there for a month than extend a month and hopefully yhkgs will be calmed down by that time.. worst case scenario head to South Korea, I get a 6 months visa on arrival stamp as a Canadian citizen. 

24 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

It will end up as the following for people who overstay.

No blacklist for overstay, but still have to pay 500THb per day for your overstay. 

They ain't gonna let Ai'Farang off the hook that easily! 

Mark my words.

I'd bet on this too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

It will end up as the following for people who overstay.

No blacklist for overstay, but still have to pay 500THb per day for your overstay. 

They ain't gonna let Ai'Farang off the hook that easily! 

Mark my words.

They couldn't do that  because it is blatantly extortion, and would be illegal.

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

I was concerned about the border being closed and not being able to do my 90 day out/in next month so contacted Siam Legal who told me i can get a 60 day extension from my local Imm office if needed .

And depending on your immigration office 30 days after that (Surat Thani did that for me a years ago)

2 hours ago, sapson said:

They could simply allow everyone an additional 90 days on their current permission to stay date.

No need to panic visit immigration causing them an enormous workload or do anything just the 100% directive clear statement issued and understanding that we all have 90 days extra to our current stamp under this emergency situation...........simple hassle free.

Can be reviewed later as the situation unfolds.

That will never work, it involves common sense. We all know the Thai way is to make it as convoluted and as hard as possible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

follow the precautionary measures from the Thai government with regards to hygiene and social distancing. 

if the IO office is full, than what to do, come back the next day ?  1000 baht trip and visa running out = NO CHOICE

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

Maybe this is the impetus needed to bring Thailand's immigration system out of the antiquated 1970s ways and into the modern era...extensions should be done online. No more ridiculous 90 day limits on multi entry visas...give us a year stamp. Or at least give us a 90-180 extension stamp done in the office...even if it costs 5000 Baht.

that would be great... it is so sick & useless to have to fly to another country and back for a stamp that give you 90 days... but hey, this is THAILAND, where common sense is not a word

51 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

They couldn't do that  because it is blatantly extortion, and would be illegal.

555 I think they'll find it hard to turn down an income stream, your problems is the least of their concerns.

I just received a non official report from a worker at Beer Lao that border "may " close' 20th

This may exclude locals truckers etc but for foreigners needing to border runs I'd check carefully before booking flights etc

PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER

I have a couple of friends in Lao government (not immigration, forestry, who may send an update after work)

Obvious plan is to call embassy here

Address: 520.502/1-3 Soi Sahakarnpramoon, Phacha-Uthit Road, Wangthonglang Bangkok 10310 Thailand
Tel: (+662) 539 3642, 02 539 3827
Email: [email protected]

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

I was concerned about the border being closed and not being able to do my 90 day out/in next month so contacted Siam Legal who told me i can get a 60 day extension from my local Imm office if needed .

Assuming the Thai Government doesn't lock down the whole country and thus all immigration offices close.

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

Cannot deport but charge bigger fines per day 

Wonder what will happen if my currency continues to drop, and eventually drop below the 40.000/month requirement. Just a few years ago I had 120-150k to spend a month, now I'm counting coins lol. I have to renew my marriage visa in 10 days. If it continues to drop 10-20% everyday for the next 10 days then I most certainly won't have 40k. Wonder how I'm going to get that stamp from the Embassy then. Some weird times we live in.

My take is that they may make some arrangements for people who genuinely cannot get home, due to lack of flights etc. I don't think they will make special arrangements for those that can, but don't want to for whatever reason, go home. That is their choice and they may have to face the consequences.

I don't which countries are banning their own citizens from entry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Wonder what will happen if my currency continues to drop, and eventually drop below the 40.000/month requirement. Just a few years ago I had 120-150k to spend a month, now I'm counting coins lol. I have to renew my marriage visa in 10 days. If it continues to drop 10-20% everyday for the next 10 days then I most certainly won't have 40k. Wonder how I'm going to get that stamp from the Embassy then. Some weird times we live in.

I feel your pain. Pulled 10k baht from an ATM this morning. 615 ozzie dollars. Seven years ago I would get 20k baht for 600 bucks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

Went to Jomtien immigration yesterday afternoon.....never seen it so busy! I Have a visitor, a Spanish kid who was at united in Guangzhou. He arrived in Thailand in February, went to Krabi and overstayed, 11 days total. I advised nhom to go to Krabi immigration and sort it.  He did but could not afford the fine and extension! So they let him go, at that point only 8 days overstay.

He got the bus to Bangkok and Pattaya, I picked him up and took him to Jomtien. They looked at everything, and insisted first a TM30 (23 ahead in the queue, but I did it online, and got the confirmation printed next door (50 Baht) , a photo (another 50), Photocopies (10), got the queue ticket for extention (38 ahead! ), got sent to Overstay (11 days@ 500 = 5500Baht) no concessions given! ) and 2½ hours later got an extension for 30 days.....from his original visa date, no concessions even though we asked. Another 1900 baht. So he's fixed, until 6th April. He can't go back to China and he can't go back to Spain, his credit card is lost and his debit card maxxed out. So, the Bank of Mum and Dad is going to have to transfer some money to me, so I can top up his finances. But they are locked down in Spain.

It's a mess! 

Good for him... Here in Phuket last month they refused to give extension to my baby son only 2.5y old, he was on 4 days overstay (HK passport, visa exempt), we went to immigration with application and all copies & photos ready (and money to pay overstay penalty + extension), but they said "because he is already on overstay, they could only give 7-day stamp", so we didn't do anything because he is a kid and no penalty anyway, but we hoped to make extension

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

Went to Jomtien immigration yesterday afternoon.....never seen it so busy! I Have a visitor, a Spanish kid who was at united in Guangzhou. He arrived in Thailand in February, went to Krabi and overstayed, 11 days total. I advised nhom to go to Krabi immigration and sort it.  He did but could not afford the fine and extension! So they let him go, at that point only 8 days overstay.

He got the bus to Bangkok and Pattaya, I picked him up and took him to Jomtien. They looked at everything, and insisted first a TM30 (23 ahead in the queue, but I did it online, and got the confirmation printed next door (50 Baht) , a photo (another 50), Photocopies (10), got the queue ticket for extention (38 ahead! ), got sent to Overstay (11 days@ 500 = 5500Baht) no concessions given! ) and 2½ hours later got an extension for 30 days.....from his original visa date, no concessions even though we asked. Another 1900 baht. So he's fixed, until 6th April. He can't go back to China and he can't go back to Spain, his credit card is lost and his debit card maxxed out. So, the Bank of Mum and Dad is going to have to transfer some money to me, so I can top up his finances. But they are locked down in Spain.

It's a mess! 

He was lucky... Last month I/O in Phuket refused to give extension to my baby son 2.5y old (HK passport visa exempt), he was on 4 days overstay, we hoped to pay penalty and extend, but they offered only 7 day stamp "because he is on overstay already"... We didn't accept it because he is toddler and will not have problems on exit, but still we hoped to make extension and keep him legal, but nope... Different I/O office, different rules, as always in LoS.

I was Chiang Mai IO to day.

They can give 30 days extension because of Corana:

But you must have a certificate from your consulate, that tells you can not get out of Thailand, because fligts/airports etc is cancelled.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Which immigration office is that? So you just turn up at the immigration office and apply for a 60 day extension and it will be granted? Is that for all visa holders of any visa?

Properly not for tourist visa's.

Non imigrant O visa can have extension for 60 days.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

What do you mean by "90 day out/in?" 60 day tourist visa followed by 30-day extension? If so, I am curious how long a person can do that before immigration will give you trouble for not having a long-term visa.

6 minutes ago, Jlop said:

What do you mean by "90 day out/in?" 60 day tourist visa followed by 30-day extension? If so, I am curious how long a person can do that before immigration will give you trouble for not having a long-term visa.

Non Imm.O  METV . 90 days max  stay in any one period. Border hop out and back in to  get next 90 was the  routine until  now.

It  would  be nice if Thai Immigration  offered those on a  multi entry the option of a 90 day report instead.

• Thanks 1

I sincerely hope immigration uses its brains on this one as i'm getting the feeling that foreign countries might look down on any nastiness inflicted upon their nationals and will treat Thais abroad in the same manner.......  Lets have a bit of sense boys........ and please don't speak to the Health Minister......... or you'll be having hundreds of thousands of very upset Thais dumped back into Thailand........ Not a good idea....  As Big Oud said, " It's time to treat tourists with decency "................ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I feel your pain. Pulled 10k baht from an ATM this morning. 615 ozzie dollars. Seven years ago I would get 20k baht for 600 bucks.

It's an unsustainable trend. It will always have Russians coming due the being that bit nearer, but for many Western Europeans, Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and U.S citizens, people are going to question where the offsetting of initial flight cost, went. You could once take the flight cost hit when on the ground things were considerably cheaper than home during a longer stay, but the prices for accomodation and basic shake drinks in some areas now, has become laughable. It's fast approaching Western Europe prices.