Thai authorities set to clarify situation on visa overstay as a result of COVID-19

webfact

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Reports of people going to immigration and getting 60 days , Ill post it here :

(From today , posted by a real named person )

"so I was planning to go to Savannakhet to get a new Non-O based on marriage. Instead, I have just received 2 months extension at CM immigration. Amazing staff, volunteers and efficient process at immigration here. It’s busy, but not as busy as I’ve seen during past visits."

So he probably got the regular 60 day to visit his wife extension.

It would be interesting if he had this extension already and would have gotten a second one.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just love this line at the end of the announcement:

Each case will be assessed by the officer in question and permission to remain in the kingdom granted or refused as seen fit.

Now how in gods green earth can they refuse to let you stay if you have no way to return to where you are from, unless they allow you to stay in IDC, which will look pretty bad to the rest of the world. Thankfully I have a Non Imm O-A Visa still goof for 8 months, and then I can do an extension if I can not leave and come back extending it for the second year......Good Luck to all of you folks, stay safe, and hoe some sanity comes to the world, as well as people doing as asked to stem the flow of this virus....

It was a politely written announcement , no need to focus on one sentence that just states  its the I.O's discretion, which is quite standard .

We should be thankful for their leniency and help and understanding 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was a politely written announcement , no need to focus on one sentence that just states  its the I.O's discretion, which is quite standard .

So far i could see this statement only on the private facebook page which you mentioned, he didn't say where he got his information from and thus we can't confirm it.

I was at the CM immigration office today in the morning and were told the best they can do for me is the 7 days to leave the country extension, unless i could get an embassy letter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TK8783 said:

HELLO,

we are a german family with 3 kids and entered Thailand on March, 4th.

Our travel plan was to spent 1 week in malaysia for holiday and then again go to Thailand. But cause of the virus we cannot do this any more. Our visa runs out on April 2nd, but home flight already cancelled. I think cause of the news we do not have to extend our visa or what is your opinin

Where in Thailand are you? Near the city or on the islands?  I suggest you can do an extension for 30 days. It is 1900baht each person.  BTW...is it Moritz?

Edited by audaciousnomad

On 3/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, mickymouse1 said:

Why the word FIND is widely used in Asia for the correct word Fine as a financial penalty?

I think you will FINE most People who have to pay the FIND; will be taking a BATH rather than paying in BAHT.....however much it may be!!

• Haha 2

They have a lovely freshly printed off list of people on overstay. 

Those Beemers will be called into action and the filthy foreigners will be whisked up and dumped in IDC to spread the virus throughout the whole place.

Empathy thai style

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Understood completely Sanemax, Thank you for pointing that out to me. I apologize for thinking negatively.

Just now, Canuck1966 said:

They have a lovely freshly printed off list of people on overstay. 

Those Beemers will be called into action and the filthy foreigners will be whisked up and dumped in IDC to spread the virus throughout the whole place.

Empathy thai style

I really dont think that they will do that .

They have already stated they will tolerate over-stayers during the virus 

I'm on a non-b with work permit good until April and I did not renew my contract with my school (teacher).  So I have ~40 days to ride this out.  I'm seeing there is possibility of extensions for tourists and non-o visas but so far nothing for non-b.  I'm American and the embassy is closed for appointments until further notice so letter from my embassy doesn't seem possible.  No way I'm flying back to the US, you'd have to be out of your mind.

As far as I understand there's no possibility of converting a non-b to tourist from within the country.  I don't see how that's fair considering tourist visas can now be converted to non-b.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

To provide relief and security during this difficult time, visiting nationals from the following countries are able to contact Thai Immigration and request an extended stay in the kingdom.

The conditions for the extended stay in the kingdom are as follows : -
1. Visitors who entered on a tourist visa are eligible to extend the visa for an additional 30 days.

What does that exactly mean? If you are on a tourist visa and have already applied for a 30 day extension you can get another 30 day extension WITHOUT going to your embassy and getting a letter fom them? Or is it for people who haven't already extended? That part is not clear.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

So he probably got the regular 60 day to visit his wife extension.

It would be interesting if he had this extension already and would have gotten a second one.

That's where I'm at with a deadline on the 24th and Australians aren't on the list for the extensions there are offering.So yeah it's pretty interesting!

29 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What does that exactly mean? If you are on a tourist visa and have already applied for a 30 day extension you can get another 30 day extension WITHOUT going to your embassy and getting a letter fom them? Or is it for people who haven't already extended? That part is not clear.

How I interpret it is if you already did 1, then your next option is 2(a letter from your embassy). If both 1 and 2 are not available to you, then your last option is 3...which you are at the mercy of the immigration officer handling your case. They will decide whether to grant you an extension on top of your extension, based on their judgement of your overall situation.

Need to get 90 day before April 6th. Trying Cambodia near here. Laos being closed until April 20th won't do. At least until I hear something else here I'll be driving to the border near me, in southern Sisaket province. And 16000 baht can't be right. Usually 1900 for stamps.

Edited by fredwiggy
Addition

Why not give 90 days automatically to everyone already here. Before you go to immigration, you pay 1900 per month you overstay in a specific place at the airport instead of going in immigration office with a lot of potential contagious people and not sure to have the extension anyway because the lack of judgement of immigration officer in this nonsense immigration system...? A country that prefer people getting sick at immigration office instead of using common sense and make more money (you close immigration and save dollars and protect people's health) that usually prefer that you do a vira run instead of collecting the money directly from you, in a simple way, deserve to stay poor. Sorry but I'm tired of the Thai way. 

I can go back to my country (Canada) but I don't want. Who want to go in airport and in planes with a lot of people potentially contagious and go back to a country that will have to choose who to save and who to let die like Italy? If Thailand as a bit of common sense and a bit of humanity, in this difficult time for everyone, let them choose to stay or not. And if they decide to stay, good for you because the lack of tourist since this all start will give you more much needed money into economy with people already here so not potentially bringing this virus from elsewhere (if you close your border for arrival). 

I've been coming randomly here for 25 years now and because I had to get out of here for visa reason after 2 months before I comeback, I discover Philippines, a beautiful country, with very kind people that greeting you with a smile at immigration and where you feel really welcome. If immigration don't do the right thing this time, it will definitely going to be my last time here ever. 

Edited by Rickrickrick
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

New announcement :

Temporary guidelines for non-Thai nationals residing in the kingdom during the Corona 2019 Virus pandemic.

As most airlines have cancelled their flights in and out of the kingdom due to high risk factors associated with air travel and contagious diseases and many neighbouring countries have closed their borders, a large number of visitors to Thailand are unable to return to their home countries.

To provide relief and security during this difficult time, visiting nationals from the following countries are able to contact Thai Immigration and request an extended stay in the kingdom.
1. Italy
2. Iran
3. Spain
4. Germany
5. South Korea
6. France
7. America
8. Switzerland
9. The UK
10. Hong Kong
11. Macau

The conditions for the extended stay in the kingdom are as follows : -
1. Visitors who entered on a tourist visa are eligible to extend the visa for an additional 30 days.

2. Visitors who entered on non-tourist visas or other visa types, should contact their embassy and request documentation detailing the reason for remaining in the kingdom and produce the documentation at their local branch of immigration

3. In the event of not being to perform either 1. or 2. as shown above, please contact a member of staff at immigration, fill in a TM7 form and in the “remarks” column write the following “ I have been personally affected by the Corona Virus respiratory disease outbreak”. Each case will be assessed by the officer in question and permission to remain in the kingdom granted or refused as seen fit.

Do you know if you can extend for another 30 days after you have already extended with a TM7 form? Im on an Irish passport on a 30 day visa exemption

1 hour ago, Foopdogg said:

Do you know if you can extend for another 30 days after you have already extended with a TM7 form? Im on an Irish passport on a 30 day visa exemption

I take the announcement to mean yes - otherwise it would be redundant.

2 hours ago, nihil30 said:

I have marriage visa valid now untill 23rd Mar. The Immi Udon offered me a non o 90 Day extenmsion for 16000 baht.

I now got the information that Laos/Thai borders are clompetly closed

The other day I extended my single entry Non-O based on marriage for 60 days without any issue for 1,900. Surely, a full marriage visa would be similar in allowing an extension. 16,000 seems a like bit of a blag...

7 minutes ago, accel said:

Phuket immigration is granting 30 day extensions regardless of visa type.  Letter required from embassy and those who overstay while waiting for letter will not be penalized

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/phuket-immigration-offers-30-day-extensions-for-stranded-foreigners

Getting warmer at least, by acknowledging that even if you can technically make it home, it's not the greatest time to be flying. Still need a letter from the embassy... and possibly a flight to Phuket immigration ????

It is very difficult for foreigners to leave the country due to the COVID-19 coronavirus situation, and doing so right now risks infection. So we are issuing 30 day extensions in accordance with immigration regulations that allow for such measures during special circumstances, such as an outbreak of disease.

3 hours ago, nihil30 said:

I have marriage visa valid now untill 23rd Mar. The Immi Udon offered me a non o 90 Day extenmsion for 16000 baht.

I now got the information that Laos/Thai borders are clompetly closed

here,  even when worldwide countries call for assistance, compassion/sympathy, only 1 thing matters $$$$$$$$$$.... was thinking, maybe if one is on his/her way to the other side the IMO will come after them or their relatives asking for the $$$$

1 hour ago, phuketitnet said:

The other day I extended my single entry Non-O based on marriage for 60 days without any issue for 1,900. Surely, a full marriage visa would be similar in allowing an extension. 16,000 seems a like bit of a blag...

a little bit.... that's high way robbery,!!!! does Thai IMO knows that people are suffering?

What is the logic behind making non tourist visa holders get a letter from their embassy? 

We have been told not not travel around unless necessary, yet they want us to travel to the embassy potentially passing on/ picking up the disease for a letter that won't prove anything anyway.

• Like 2

As an American, getting the embassy letter will be a nightmare. Post messages, no reply. Call and no one picks up. Hours are cut there due to coivd and appointments will be impossible to get. Any American get a letter yet? I have already done my 30+30 and expect to go to CW on Monday and hope I get a kind and  merciful IO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

As an American, getting the embassy letter will be an IMPOSSIBLE  nightmare. Post messages, no reply. Call and no one picks up. Hours are cut there due to coivd and appointments will be impossible to get. Any American get a letter yet? I have already done my 30+30 and expect to go to CW on Monday and hope I get a kind and  merciful IO.

Fixed it for you.

Quote from 2 "government servants": "We got out of the letter issuing business. Official US Embassy policy is to get a letter from the Chinese Embassy".

Posting photos of military exercises and virtue signalling seems to be the only mission of the US Embassy. If, as an American, you need help... try the Chinese Embassy.

Edited by idiot farang

3 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Fixed it for you.

Quote from 2 "government servants": "We got out of the letter issuing business. Official US Embassy policy is to get a letter from the Chinese Embassy".

Posting photos of military exercises and virtue signalling seems to be the only mission of the US Embassy. If, as an American, you need help... try the Chinese Embassy.

That's nuts