TOT overseas speed slow

Mahks

Singapore with 3bb fibre.

TOT s*cks for international connections, I had them once, and after 2 weeks I told them to pack up, which they did and fully refunded me.

image.png.3a6b79bc8d235c68328f764b5d36f56e.png

The above test is with a single connection, which is actually the only thing that counts.

Below is with multi connection

image.png.b1155548199a915abc601bc21c35e7d5.png

Edited by Susco

On 3/19/2020 at 4:51 PM, Mahks said:

My overseas speed prior to a week ago was about 90% of speed at Thai server.

Had a few problems with TOT over the years but most of the time the service is very prompt.

Yep I concur. About 2 weeks ago TOT's service stopped. On ringing them was told they were doing some software upgrades and the system would be back up shortly, and it was. But since then I've had the same problem as you. Running tests through my VPN I'm finding the maximum speed for a download is around 4 MB/s (before was getting 5 times that). And what I can not understand is that daily the location of the best server is changing. Yesterday it was Helsinki but today it's Chicago.

capture-20200324-110021.jpg.e1ffd0739c9922d731d37c94cb201df7.jpg 

What I have found is that this speed cap seems limited to individual files. So when downloading two files I am getting 8 MB/s. Sadly it seems another limitation kicks in for I can not better 12 MB/s (3 files).

For me I can live with this but then I have no option, TOT have the monopoly is my area.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My results for April:

image.png.e5de3afaec81662c19690bffe20bf30e.png

The speeds are not the worst of it. The lost connections are the real problem.

About 1 in 20 server calls never make it to the server. 

If you track the network calls with DevTools, you can see the failed calls :

Press F12, then select network

image.png.0a24e8f7c82bc3bd4f2a6fdc7037db14.png

Those cancelled ones never got a response back from the server. 

This problem began well before the system got overloaded by the COVID19 extra usage, but is worse now due to, I assume the bandwidth crunch.

I tried explaining to the call center, but I cannot get the concept across that there is a problem with some configuration between TOT and the outside world.

They keep wanting to send a tech to my house. Nothing he can do here. I did show him the logs and speeds were < 5Mbps while he was here. I think he understood, it was something other than a bandwidth thing. He made 5 calls to various places, but could not find a solution.

image.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI @Mahks,

Are you still having the speed issues, or were you able to get a resolution? I've been experiencing the same type of thing the last couple weeks. Local connections are fast, but things that connect back to AWS servers in the USA and other areas are virtually unusable.   Also been seeing issues with js packages from sites not loading.  

If there is a ticket # or anything you have open with TOT, you can tell them that Koh Tao users are seeing the same issues.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@CanuckT Sorry did not get notified of your post.

Speeds are up from those lows posted above. Now, rather than 1% of normal they are at about 10%.

But still getting dropped connections at about the same rate. 

As for TOT, I have tried to explain to them that this is not a speed/ high usage issue. (began before the stay at home order)

But even when I have got a TOT agent with good English, was unable to convince them. They always want to send a service tech. But the problem is not local and there seems to be no way to "open a ticket" to a core service issue.

Are you still having issues ?

What about @Stocky in Hat Yai? Are you still at full speed? 

mine is fine.  I don't see any real point in constantly checking out the speed, unless something really does slow right down.  Netflix works fine for us and on two devices at once, so no issues with our fibre ToT 

Edited by Pilotman

2 hours ago, Mahks said:

What about @Stocky in Hat Yai? Are you still at full speed? 

Locally yes, I pay for 400/400 and I get a bit better than that.

9492380009.png

Internationally, Singapore is fine, but Europe and the US are a little sluggish, but good enough; these are my results just now.

9492389409.png

9492395442.png

9492400526.png

As for drop outs, no we don't get those the connection where I am in Hat Yai is excellent and consistently so. Ditto the service we get from the local TOT technicians, when the fibre modem died they came round and replaced it. While here they noted the wireless router was an old one, so upgraded that too to dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz. That's pretty much how they've always been in the 15 years we've been with TOT, from dial-up through ADSL to Fibre.

Edited by Stocky

I have 500/500Mbps ToT fiber pkg. and routinely achieve >400Mbps to Europe locations and >300 Mbps, all testing conducted thru OpenVPN and/or Wireguard & IKEv2 connections on 5GHz wifi on a macbook using ookla on cli. The speeds seem normal at this time.

@i84teen Where are you located?

I'm trying to find the range of the problem, Those near me that work with servers are all having the same issues. I suspect there are boundaries within which the problem occurs. Once I know where (or if) they exist, I may be able to convince TOT there is a problem.

15 minutes ago, Mahks said:

@i84teen Where are you located?

I'm trying to find the range of the problem, Those near me that work with servers are all having the same issues. I suspect there are boundaries within which the problem occurs. Once I know where (or if) they exist, I may be able to convince TOT there is a problem.

BKK, srinakarin road, near Seacon square.