Exclusive: UK supermarkets expect to get police support when London goes into lockdown - industry source

snoop1130

Exclusive: UK supermarkets expect to get police support when London goes into lockdown - industry source

efger.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Shoppers inside a Sainsburys supermarket in Watford while the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, Watford, Britain, March 19, 2020. REUTERS/Paul Childs/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British supermarkets are expecting to get police support to deter unruly behaviour when London goes into lockdown to contain the coronavirus outbreak, according to an industry source.

There were rowdy scenes in some supermarkets on Thursday as British shoppers sought to buy basic goods such as bottled water and tinned goods ahead of an expected toughening of measures by the UK government.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-19
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, got it! Thanks ???? Of course, they can do as Thailand and blame all on the dirty foreigner.

45%  white British  Born so 55%  not.......and Bangkok?

The capital also had both the largest proportion of residents born outside the UK (37%) and non-UK nationals (24%.) that was  2011

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

What about now? Are you contributing with panic and starting a war with your own people? In times like this it´s best for people to come together.

While I agree 100%, it aint happening is it? have you read other posts on here! image.jpeg.7fa728047b201822a2d889b0c5571b9c.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There’s something worrying the management of the world’s supermarkets and food brands.

Supply chain failure.

If that happens all bets are off.

Exactly! Due to "infectious disease management procedures"

Eurotunnel has reduced its load rate from 32 heavy goods vehicles per shuttle usually to 24 since Monday. Truck drivers, who get off the truck during the crossing to UK may thus be only one per row of seats in the passenger wagon intended for them, to respect the physical distances intended to reduce the risk of transmission of Covid-19 

https://www.freightlink.co.uk/knowledge/articles/corona-virus-covid-19-operator-update

Edited by Opl
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chazar said:

45%  white British  Born so 55%  not.......and Bangkok?

The capital also had both the largest proportion of residents born outside the UK (37%) and non-UK nationals (24%.) that was  2011

What do you mean by that opening sentence, just the bit before the ellipsis?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Tap water in uk is perfectly safe to drink. 

they say that for the US also

boiling don't get rid of all the chemicals other people pee or dumb in their toilet

you add chlorine to kill bacteria

and fluoride, to kill any brain cells left

2 hours ago, justin case said:

they say that for the US also

boiling don't get rid of all the chemicals other people pee or dumb in their toilet

you add chlorine to kill bacteria

and fluoride, to kill any brain cells left

UK water's fine. Never had any problems with it, ever.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tug said:

Here in the USA yesterday the wife and I did a shopping trip to Costco and the local Thai ethnic store both places were very busy but under control some limits on items others unavailable no panic I personally admired Costco they limited the # of shoppers in the store at any one time it all went smoothly that beeing said with the suppression of testing for cv here when the true #s become known it’s liable to get bad that’s the reason the wife and I with proper ppi risked the exposure we are now set for 3 months easy good luck and best wishes to my brothers and sisters acrosst the pond 

The headline is just a bit of media hype.  The supermarkets in the UK are introducing procedures to control the binge buying.  The main ones have introduced the first round which is to make the first hour after restocking exclusively for the elderly, vulnerable and their carers.  This will be "policed" by their own staff.  There are also restrictions in place over the amount of repeat items customers are allowed to buy and finally Waitrose are bringing in hundreds of extra delivery vehicles and drivers to put on more home deliveries.

Part of the reason for the panic buying is that now the schools are closing for an indefinite period of time (my son's closes today until after the summer holidays) people need to stock up for the little darlings being at home all day.  People are also worried that as they are being "advised" to stay at home and avoid large groups of people, that that advice may change into an "instruction".

London is not in lock down, some way off of it yet.  There were some tube stations closed yesterday but most remain open.

• Like 2

Read an article in the Sun about how pubs in Britland are full of people drinking.  

I have just returned from shopping at Lidl.  Staff masked and gloved.  Soon as the 81 st person tries to enter, doors shut!  The only thing I couldn't buy was my favourite choc bar.  Didn't see any spaces on the shelves.  Then went to another hyper marche.  For some annoying reason the very long flour shelf was nearly empty and I couldn't buy the cake flour, and was obliged to buy a packet of ??? to make my cakes rise.

I live in a small French town and everything seems to be going very well.  Not a soul in the streets, pubs shut.  Gendarmes stopping cars ,no family visits, no talking to people in the streets, and so on and so on.  I am utterly amazed, the French not being exactly obedient people.  And the rules laid down are VERY strict.

So the Brit reaction (the pubs etc) is very surprising.

38 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

Read an article in the Sun about how pubs in Britland are full of people drinking.  

I have just returned from shopping at Lidl.  Staff masked and gloved.  Soon as the 81 st person tries to enter, doors shut!  The only thing I couldn't buy was my favourite choc bar.  Didn't see any spaces on the shelves.  Then went to another hyper marche.  For some annoying reason the very long flour shelf was nearly empty and I couldn't buy the cake flour, and was obliged to buy a packet of ??? to make my cakes rise.

I live in a small French town and everything seems to be going very well.  Not a soul in the streets, pubs shut.  Gendarmes stopping cars ,no family visits, no talking to people in the streets, and so on and so on.  I am utterly amazed, the French not being exactly obedient people.  And the rules laid down are VERY strict.

The sun said?

If that’s the source then the story is most likely being elusive with the truth. . 

Edited by Bluespunk
Spelling
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

You bought the sun.

That’s your toilet paper supply sorted then.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, Bluespunk said:

Why?

Tap water in uk is perfectly safe to drink. 

Well I don't know about the UK tap water because I don't live there

I live in OZ for 40 years and I have never bought a bottle of water

in my life. I don't drink a lot of water but if I do I drink tap water.

What about all the plastic waste? And what about all the chemicals

you need to produce those bottles, like oil and energy to make them.

Of the three pillars of sustainability, the economic impacts of bottled water are perhaps the most evident to the consumer. Tap water is approximately $3 per 1000 litres, comparatively to bottled water, which is approximately $3 per litre.

• Like 1