Thailand to tighten entry rules for all nationalities in virus fight

snoop1130

13 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Not to mention Thailand is heavily exports dependent and logistics, especially air, are taking severe hits, collateral damage. Going to be an epic recession. Maybe that finally gets the mobs with pitchforks out and purges the old elites out.

better hope expats aren't on you revolutionary list lol ...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I would recommend reporting to immigration for an extension.  I would expect some sort of leniency with regards to them during an ongoing pandemic.

not if news reports keep coming up with foreigners congregation in bars that have been ordered shut, like normal, expats are being their own worst enemy..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

better hope expats aren't on you revolutionary list lol ...

Just had a look off the balcony, everything looks calm. Going for a swim. More reports direct from Thailand to follow. Over and Out

• Like 1

The government need to take a serious look at the social health habits of Thais. A pick up delivering food to the local caff passed me this morning. The driver had his arm hanging out the window holding a cigarette, and then cleared his throat and spat a large gob of mucus into the street. Ideal for spreading any disease. This is not an unusual practice! Coupled with open coughing and sneezing everywhere from homes, restaurants, schools and shopping malls, I'm not surprised at the amount of flu in this country. Aren't Thais taught to cover their mouths or use a handkerchief or tissue????

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Suzy said:

The government need to take a serious look at the social health habits of Thais. A pick up delivering food to the local caff passed me this morning. The driver had his arm hanging out the window holding a cigarette, and then cleared his throat and spat a large gob of mucus into the street. Ideal for spreading any disease. This is not an unusual practice! Coupled with open coughing and sneezing everywhere from homes, restaurants, schools and shopping malls, I'm not surprised at the amount of flu in this country. Aren't Thais taught to cover their mouths or use a handkerchief or tissue????

Why did you ever come to Thailand? You can see people spitting all over the world.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I had read on these pages that a letter from embassy is needed but that may be bs like a lot info here..

On March 19, Laos suspended all types of visas to foreign tourists including ASEAN countries effective midnight of March 20 until April 20.

Read more: https://globalnation.inquirer.net/186209/filipinos-in-laos-cope-prepare-amid-covid-19-threat#ixzz6HCVSdaCV
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

I'm sure that next week they'll shut all the borders but if they don't a VOA is now my last option or the extension at the immigration office.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Richard Barrow did a report on his arrival at BKK from UK.

He had photos of NO ONE in the immigration lines. 

He said it took one minute to get through immigration.

I am on another forum working overtime to discourage these selfish tourists who travel unnecessarily and prolong the pandemic until the world economy collapses. They should be shot. 

No one is coming thank god.

I hope someone discourages the selfish drunks to stay out of closed bars during a pandemic, the optics on that one was terrible and its an event which may influence any decision to give some folks grace periods while on overstay due to not wanting to go through a one way door to re up their visa..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

and I am so relieved I am not in Europe..

I felt like that about 2 weeks ago, but this notion that we're in some kind of safe haven from it all here is probably hugely misguided. It feels like an oblivious bubble. Even right now on Koh Samet where I am, if you didn't turn on your phone you wouldn't really know anything is happening (though there are related announcements in Thai from the Police station ever mid morning, over loudspeakers now) because  nobody here really thinks it will effect them. Maybe it won't, or maybe this is the calm before the storm of infections becoming symptomatic. I see locals eating in huddled groups, sharing from communal plates, swigging from the same beer bottles and cross generational cohabitation, some seriously elderly looking people.

I think of the Killing Fields movie. It all fell so fast, and if you didn't get out you were at mercy of events as they then unfolded. It is hard to predict how Thais (and more crucially, Thai authorities) will act if this country's economy starts to rapidly crumble in coming months. I'm several days from exiting on a coming flight, hoping that I get out before a domestic lock down.

The Thailand that expats here think they know, may not be the Thailand they're living in a few months down the line once they've committed to staying or are in a rush to get back here before it locks down, because it currently feels profoundly laid back. I'm heading back to Western Europe of course, where it is getting primal fast, but personally I'd rather go through that in a land I know like the back of my hand, and know the language, and am not 'the foreigner'.

I truly hope I'm wrong, and that every foreigner who chooses to remain or return here, will ride the storm and encounter hospitality.

• Sad 1

My question is on topic to this thread... Please indulge my Intro. TIA. 

My question revolves around the need to do a border run / border bounce... (90 day for Non Imm B multi entry one year) At last check I can still go to Nong Khai Bridge cross over. But that could change if not already. Now it seems I have to buy the Lao entry Visa ahead of time at a Lao Consulate / Embassy. Along with a Medical Cert. (no fever - no cough)... I have that handled. The question I have under this topic is - Can I Return to Thailand?  This is a land entry of course not air. I have a residence and business address here - it is in all my B Visa and WP docs. Would these tightened entry rules apply to a Border Run as I have described.?  I know that opinions are about all I can get but opinions are welcome. Just not flippant one. 

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from another site has been removed. 

Posts using content from Twitter and Facebook have been removed, please do not post anything that is not from a reliable source, no links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter. 

Some off topic posts have been removed. 

15 hours ago, monkfish said:

Went to the pharmacy yesterday and asked for some and they looked at like I was mad and laughingly said Mai Mee.
But from what I have heard if you are lucky and they have some you can only buy 5 so 50?mmm

go on facebook and buy them. people are making them. 

28 minutes ago, DLock said:

Tourism is dead worldwide, not just Thailand.

And, according to this report tourism is 10.4 percent of global GDP. Taking this down to zero assures a recession. Add all the other impacts and you get a depression. Yes, everyone will recover--economically. How long will it take?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

those are bad news.

travel will not be fun anymore.

i wonder what happaned in the past few days.

suddenly the whole world is locking it's gates.

sometimes with a few hours warning, as if the virus just jumped now.

in peru thousands of travellers got stucked when the government decided to

close all borders.

is there something they know? or is it just the tragedy of italy?

imo governments around the world gambled with their citizens lives for the sake of the 'economy', well the economy is in now firmly in the toilet world wide and the pandemic is what calls the shot in everyone's life, putting money as a priority will end costing millions of lives eventually.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

this will discourage many who are entertaining ideas of visiting thailand, like myself.  it would be a shame to get all the necessaries,  buy a ticket, fly 20 hours and arrive in bkk only to be told that some document doesn't have an i dotted or a t crossed.  

you probably won't get the required papers issued to you prior boarding so don't worry abut the 20 hour flt because they won't let you on the plane..

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lissos said:

I felt like that about 2 weeks ago, but this notion that we're in some kind of safe haven from it all here is probably hugely misguided. It feels like an oblivious bubble. Even right now on Koh Samet where I am, if you didn't turn on your phone you wouldn't really know anything is happening (though there are related announcements in Thai from the Police station ever mid morning, over loudspeakers now) because  nobody here really thinks it will effect them. Maybe it won't, or maybe this is the calm before the storm of infections becoming symptomatic. I see locals eating in huddled groups, sharing from communal plates, swigging from the same beer bottles and cross generational cohabitation, some seriously elderly looking people.

I think of the Killing Fields movie. It all fell so fast, and if you didn't get out you were at mercy of events as they then unfolded. It is hard to predict how Thais (and more crucially, Thai authorities) will act if this country's economy starts to rapidly crumble in coming months. I'm several days from exiting on a coming flight, hoping that I get out before a domestic lock down.

The Thailand that expats here think they know, may not be the Thailand they're living in a few months down the line once they've committed to staying or are in a rush to get back here before it locks down, because it currently feels profoundly laid back. I'm heading back to Western Europe of course, where it is getting primal fast, but personally I'd rather go through that in a land I know like the back of my hand, and know the language, and am not 'the foreigner'.

I truly hope I'm wrong, and that every foreigner who chooses to remain or return here, will ride the storm and encounter hospitality.

Good God! The killing fields? I am in Bangkok, I've been out and about somewhere everyday. No Thai man or woman has treated me with anything other then the usual kindness, I saw no madness, no angry police, no frantic shoppers raping the shelves, no lines out the hospitals I passed, and the trains are still running. Thailand is handling this quite well in my opinion. The killing fields?! Really? This feels to you like an insane communist takeover and push of the entire population into fields to work until dead? That's what this polite calm country filled with gracious people feels like to you?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, keemapoot said:

The Thai Embassy in Tokyo states this will be effective from the 21st of March with respect to the health certificate, but as of yet there is no stated date for the proof of insurance coverage. The health certificate merely has to be a "fit to fly" certificate and state you have no fever or other symptoms, but does not require exactly that you have been tested and proven free from Covid-19, which would be impossible for most people.

In any event, this is pretty difficult for most people anyway, and almost impossible for many people coming from countries that do not have these available in English language. 

* Just reading a social media comment - A Thai spoke to the Okaka Thai consulate and they insisted it had to be a Covid-19 certificate. Obviously, this is very expensive, or just mostly not available in most places for a discretionary purposes like this. Another brilliant policy move.

I think you mean Osaka .

Another day, another rule, another confusion.

This time not only foreigners get fed-up.

Thais in UK going ballistic. 

Rumour has it that Thai Embassies are scrambling to arrange for Covid-19 tests.

And The Incompetents, they rule on.... and on....and on....

2 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Talked to the embassy here in Canada about getting home to my wife in Thailand. They told me I needed the 100,000$US travel insurance (which no-one is selling here, now), and I need to be tested for COVID-19 and show negative within 48 hours of departure (right now there's a 4/5 day wait for results non urgent results). No insurance, no visa. No medical certificate, you'll be turned away at Suwannaphum. So now I don't know when I'll see my wife again. ????????????

that's sad man and I definitely feel for you. Although my wife has a  CDN social security number, has paid CDN taxes for the last 4 years and has an Alberta health card, her perm res card expired I can't bring her with me If I wanted to return- over a year to get a travel doc to reup her card there. I won't leave her in these times so here I'll stay because it would drive me nuts being separated now. I would call my MP and plead that you as a Canadian want your family with you, they've helped me in the past cutting through embassy tape, maybe they'll help you. I've decided against that, I'm going to take my chance here..

• Like 1