US Embassy appointments

Just got an email from the US Embassy, until further notice all notarial service appointments have been canceled, throws a wrench into my plans, I have an OA visa extension, and was planning on doing a border run some time next month to get a visa exempt and convert to an O, as a backup plan I was going to get my marriage certificate from marriage to a Thai in the US, also have a Kor 22 from the Los Angeles Consulate, this is from 2004, my Amphur said this wasn't good enough to get it registered here, so my plan was to get an affidavit from the US Embassy and get it submitted to the MFA to get it legalized, had an appointment for April 7th, my permission to stay expires on May 2nd, as of now it pretty much looks like all borders are closed to in and outs, I live about 40 KMs East of Rayong, was planning on going to Cambodia, I guess my only hope now is to wait and see what happens in the next month. Anyone with a good idea let me know.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit you wife to get more time to get things sorted out to apply for the one year extension near the end of the 60 days.

Just checked and there is no mention on the ACS pages for appointments not being available. But if you go to the page to make an appointment it does not show any available for notary services for this month or in April. But it still shows them to be available for passport applications.

I think I would send an email to them and explain the situation. I am sure they would make an exception.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit you wife to get more time to get things sorted out to apply for the one year extension near the end of the 60 days.

Just checked and there is no mention on the ACS pages for appointments not being available. But if you go to the page to make an appointment it does not show any available for notary services for this month or in April. But it still shows them to be available for passport applications.

I think I would send an email to them and explain the situation. I am sure they would make an exception.

So you can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife, even if you are on an OA visa extension based on retirement, what documents would I need, like I posted the Kor 22 is from the US, 2004. 

54 minutes ago, flexomike said:

So you can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife, even if you are on an OA visa extension based on retirement, what documents would I need, like I posted the Kor 22 is from the US, 2004. 

You can apply for the extension with any type of entry, visa or extension of stay.

A Kor Ror 22 is not needed to apply for the 60 day extension.

I would be interested to see the Kor Ror 22 you got at the consulate in LA (send it by message). I am only aware of being able to register a marriage at a embassy or consulate. Is what you have something like this that does look like a Kor Ror 22 ( on page 4 and 5)

https://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Marriage-regulation-and-application-คำร้องจดทะเบียนสมรส-1.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

Just got an email from the US Embassy, until further notice all notarial service appointments have been canceled

Yeah, I just got one from the US Consulate Chiang Mai, cancelling my 26 March appt. I was going to get an affidavit for my US marriage certificate, as front runner to getting a Kor Ror 22 from my Amphur. This was my back up plan to going to Saigon for a Non O -- which looks OBE, what with the physical and insurance requirements to return to Thailand (my zillion dollar Tricare policy probably wouldn't cut it, as it won't for a Non O-A extension).

Anyway, what's the take on an out an in border crossing -- medical and insurance required? Having said that, what's my best border option, by road, from Chiang Mai?

I wonder it could be due to a shortage of staff.

From a travel advisory I got by email today.

"On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members from any diplomatic or consular post in the world who have determined they are at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19 or who have requested departure based on a commensurate justification.  These departures may limit the ability of U.S. Embassies and consulates to provide services to U.S. citizens."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, I just got one from the US Consulate Chiang Mai, cancelling my 26 March appt. I was going to get an affidavit for my US marriage certificate, as front runner to getting a Kor Ror 22 from my Amphur. This was my back up plan to going to Saigon for a Non O -- which looks OBE, what with the physical and insurance requirements to return to Thailand (my zillion dollar Tricare policy probably wouldn't cut it, as it won't for a Non O-A extension).

Anyway, what's the take on an out an in border crossing -- medical and insurance required? Having said that, what's my best border option, by road, from Chiang Mai?

when you find out let me know

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I wonder it could be due to a shortage of staff.

From a travel advisory I got by email today.

"On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members from any diplomatic or consular post in the world who have determined they are at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19 or who have requested departure based on a commensurate justification.  These departures may limit the ability of U.S. Embassies and consulates to provide services to U.S. citizens."

They have at least 1 positive, know since Wednesday and still ordering staff to come in for work - until perhaps today...

That one case is sure fire, don't ask me how I know