Thailand reports 50 new coronavirus infections for total of 322

webfact

11 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

It's gonna be a wild ride, everyone. Unprecedented. Hang in there and be strong.

I'll say and tomorrow and Sunday the shopping malls and weekend markets will be packed. No way the locals are going to miss out on that! The sh*t is about to hit the fan. 

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Air pollution levels lower in China as people are quarantined and cannot drive, take a bus, or train. 

Meanwhile Chiang Mai moves into number one air pollution possition by a long shot. No goddamn virus is going to stop the Thais from burning and distroying their own environment! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Venom said:

I'll say and tomorrow and Sunday the shopping malls and weekend markets will be packed. No way the locals are going to miss out on that! The sh*t is about to hit the fan. 

The exodus to Isaan will be massive when all the workers pack up. Might be a mitigating factor in places like Pattaya. BKK however will be a mess, there's so many local locals. 

That mass exodus will of course aid the virus in spreading just as effective as songkran would. Infection results will be in in a few weeks, which will mean lockups until .. end of April at least?

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It's a lesson in preparedness, if the early warning system was good enough (It never will be if it originates in China, courtesy of CCP) and if the health care systems had emergency supplies located nearby and if people were educated about basic hygiene, a lot of this would have been avoided.

Why everyone keeps blaming China for not being prepared, when it is obvious that the western countries are far worsein that object.

Take Italy for example, a population 20 times smaller than China, yet they are surpassing China in death toll.

I guess that is because they were prepared and took early and correct measurements at the right time. NOT?

Oh and please refrain from that conspiracy drivel that the China numbers are not correct.

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Susco said:

Why everyone keeps blaming China for not being prepared, when it is obvious that the western countries are far worsein that object.

Take Italy for example, a population 20 times smaller than China, yet they are surpassing China in death toll.

I guess that is because they were prepared and took early and correct measurements at the right time. NOT?

Oh and please refrain from that conspiracy drivel that the China numbers are not correct.

The school system has obviously failed many...

"RNA viruses have high mutation rates—up to a million times higher than their hosts—and these high rates are correlated with enhanced virulence and evolvability, traits considered beneficial for viruses"

In other words, it can happen anywhere at any time.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Stop getting your news source from memes and actually educate yourself. The issue is not what is, but what could be. This virus is much more dangerous than a flu, with a much larger percentage than the flu requiring ICU care to survive.  In both China and Italy, and soon many other countries, the health care systems will be overwhelmed, meaning those needing covid 19, and other types of emergencies, may not get the treatment they need. Italy and China have already had to use triage to determine who gets treatment, meaning some are left to die. Sound like the flu to you? But keep reading those memes and remember to stock up on toilet paper.

Thanks for that Bruce. I just heard a doctor state on Canadian news that he thinks mortality rates for non-Covid19 patients will double due to lack of medical facilities. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

was trying to tell my wife to stock up on essentials like hand sanitizer, masks, milk, diapers etc

Your wife wears diapers? or you?  hahaha  

Seriously, wish you well and your little one(s) during these times.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jacob29 said:

Doesn't seem plausible to me, in that they tested 200k (finding 9k infections), and somehow missed a cluster of asymptomatic carriers that managed to evade all contact tracing efforts. It would mean out of that entire hidden cluster, none were serious enough to warrant testing, and additionally none had any contact with confirmed cases (that would have prompted testing). It would be very hard for a virus to remain undetected under those conditions.

Not "carriers". There is no evidence of a special carrier state. Just people who get infected but have such a mild case that they have no noticeable symptoms and recover. They can infect others while they are infected but possible their duration of infection is shorter than in symptomatic people.

Since testing was not random and was skewed towards people wirh symptoms entirely possible there is a larger incidence of mild/asymptomatic infection in the non-tested population.

Would help explain why thete has not been a second major wave of infection in Wuhan for example.

No point in arguing about this as it is all supposition now.. We'll know eventually.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pookondee said:

yes only 50-60, but that is just in one day.

And how many did they infect before getting diagnosed ?

And how many of those newly infected will go and infect others before they realise they have got it? 

Seriously, do people really need to be explained the meaning of 

"snowball effect"

Seriously, do people really need to be explained that for almost everyone it's a mild flu-type illness and that just about every normally healthy person makes a full recovery. Just like any other illness. This one just spreads more quickly and easily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Susco said:

I'm blaming China for their disgusting wet markets and eating habits. I'm blaming China for trying to cover it up because they are a despicable inhumane dictatorship. 

16 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Studies in Italy and Iceland suggest that 50% of infected people show no symptoms whatsoever. These people are carriers without even knowing it. The only way to stop the spread is total lock-down like they did in China or testing everyone including all people without symptoms.

Tell me your source please

https://grapevine.is/news/2020/03/13/covid-19-in-iceland-117-confirmed-cases-new-information-site-online/

12 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Appreciate the darwinian undertones.

Agree human population numbers and our habits have increasingly damaged "Nature".  Air pollution levels lower in China as people are quarantined and cannot drive, take a bus, or train. 

Heard that canal and river waterways in Italy are clearer, etc..

A recent research on the virus also indicates that the pollution facilitates the propagation of the Covid19 virus with the pollution and being the area of northern Italy the most polluted in Europe would explain the high number of contaminated, then we must expect the same in Thailand with Chiang Mai and Bangkok in the front row.

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With 50-60 new confirmed "official" cases daily, you can darned well bet that they're not going to end up catching up with and identifying each and every one of the various other people that those 50 to 60 a day had come into contact with....before getting sick enough to seek treatment.

OMG, I was never good at maths but look at todays WHO COVID-19 report table....just take a few samples of reported cases per million and look at Thailand.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/  (live feed)

For a population of around 69 million Thailand have 5 cases / million reported, now compare that with a few other sample countries like:

South Korea, population approx 51.3 million with 172 cases / mil

Australian, population approx 24.5 million with 40 cases / mil

France, population approx France 65.3 million with 193 cases / mil

Singapore, approx population 5.9 million with 65 cases / mil

with Thailand.....

As I said I was never great at maths but the reporting numbers on a per million population for Thailand just don't add up to me.

Either people in Thailand with COVID-19 are not reporting it or the Government does not know about them or; 

The Thai Government is doing its normal song and dance of covering up stuff.  

Touirsts are stil poruing into Thiland http://www.atta.or.th/statistics-international-tourists-arriving-in-thailand-as-of-as-of-10-march-2020/

With the borders still open and people coming in from all over the world especially China http://www.atta.or.th/statistics-international-tourists-arriving-in-thailand-as-of-as-of-10-march-2020/ the numbers IMHO just have ot be higher. 

Or is a third world developing country like Thailand so ahead of the rest of the developed world in managing this pandemic that I have it all wrong!  I hope so?

23 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Of course. No Thai would ever infect another Thai.

I cannot even begin to describe how disgusting I find this official xenophobic finger-pointing at "foreigners". 

Get use to it! Just because COHIV19 has recently become pandemic is not the reason for the changed mindset of Thai's towards foreigners. It's a well known fact that only our money is welcome & their attitude towards us should come as no surprise to anyone. 

Tourism is the lifeblood of this magical country & we fund most Thai's life styles by coming here on holiday. First it was the Europeans, then the Arabs & Russians, then the Japanese & Koreans, then the Chinese & Indians .......... now everyone has left, no income for local businesses & everything is closing down because of the lack of cash, but the unexpected COHIV19 virus has really put the "Cat amongst the pigeons". Who to blame for all this? ................ Thai logic say's it's the tourist & they should be blamed, but this time they have gone a little too far in their accusations, which has left many foreigners really angry & quite rightly so! To be labelled "dirty foreigners" in the media & tv here is the last straw for most of us. I doubt those that have already left will ever grace these shores again with their presence & many others in the coming months will also leave never to return.

A sad state of affairs indeed, when everyone should be pulling together & helping one another, irrespective of race, sad, sad, sad .........  another barrier here which will be difficult to overcome. This tragic world event which will continue for many more months, even years. Thailand so far has been so fortunate that containment appears to be working here compared to other countries with very few fatalities, especially as the Chinese tourists come here on holiday in the thousands you would have thought it would have been far worse as the virus was first identified in Wuhan, China..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

I'm blaming China for their disgusting wet markets and eating habits. I'm blaming China for trying to cover it up because they are a despicable inhumane dictatorship. 

That's not so unreasonable but blaming individual everyday Chinese people for this is unfair and wrong. 

• Like 1

And they said at the start, this virus would not survive the hot climates...????????????????

I m glad im back home in a country that i will be treated fast and for free if I contracted the Virus.

Good luck fellow falangs keep safe and stay away from the bars and whores....esp you over 55s otherwise your chances of survival are slim in that Land of Lies you live in.