Australian, usa expats, what is your plan?

DjChris28

4 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

TP in Thailand?  Who needs it?  Once you learn the secrets of the bidet, you'll use a fraction of the paper you used to use.  We're currently in the US....and apparently much longer than we expected to stay.  Our daughter doesn't have a bidet...naturally.  But I'm going to install one for her and start the conversion.

I have it in a holder on the dinner table to wipe any dribbles from my chin... also good for stickyfingers when eating ribs.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Ok back to your patch of sand and insert head.

What?

posting at 3 AM in the morning from your gated community, are you know.

Not sure what you are saying here but, no, as I said right there in my first sentence, I got out before the flights started to shutdown. I am now in a different timezone, on the other side of the world. I have no idea, however, what significance the time I post at has.

BTW People were  quite nice in the morning Makro Hang Dong. I would say more than double the usual amount for a sunday  6AM roll time. I don't think the local population is going to make a big run a la Bangkok and panic buying up here. However most of the shoppers were buying more, yep.

Again, none of this seems to connect with anything I wrote, so, I'm going to presume you are simply posting under the influence, or tired, or something.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:
38 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

TP in Thailand?  Who needs it?  Once you learn the secrets of the bidet, you'll use a fraction of the paper you used to use.  We're currently in the US....and apparently much longer than we expected to stay.  Our daughter doesn't have a bidet...naturally.  But I'm going to install one for her and start the conversion.

I have it in a holder on the dinner table to wipe any dribbles from my chin... also good for stickyfingers when eating ribs.

good for brushing teeth as well   

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Again, none of this seems to connect with anything I wrote,

You wrote a bunch a unverifiable twaddle. Now you claim others just don't understand. I bet that is the story of your life. :thumbsup:

Edited by LomSak27
  • Haha 1

Home is here now (Sisaket), with my lady- Retired and enjoying my life- Only problem is have to show 12 months of transfers - only have 4 to go,  border run due April 13, so have to see- In for the long haul-

There aren't any really great options since USA is just beginning its hysteria and probable escalation in cases. Friends have told me that quarantines and actual infections are increasing pretty quickly (this is up close and personal stuff, not the news). Also, I don't want to be on plane and airports for 24-30 hours at this time.

In my own case this presents a visa problem even though I've been here for a year and am pretty well settled in at the moment. Current visa ends in a couple months. But the normal options to extend and ride it out for a few more months here are closed as of this week, e.g. visa run. Secondary options to move to another country SE Asia also now closed.

US State Dept. yesterday issued advisory for people living abroad (as distinguished from tourists): no international travel. Also I'm pretty certain there are self-quarantine and other requirements in USA for Thailand returnees, which is a huge logistics problem since I don't currently have housing in USA. It was not in my plan to return so quickly as I did have other viable  options (until this past week).

Finally, I did consider worst case if things go south in BKK, mainly crime. I agree with many here that things could get spicy. But I've lived and worked in dangerous places and combat zones so I think BKK would be manageable.

So weighing all of this, at the moment I've decided to sit tight and continuously evaluate the situation here. It's dodgey everywhere right now, for everyone. No really great choices.

Edited by Geeyore
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I don't know any expats "working" here.  All retired and "living" here.

Plan is like everyone else, stock up on food and shelter in place

I know a few.

Pilots mostly no work now.

Some illegal workers renting motorbikes to tourists now asking me to buy them breakfast.

Sure glad I do not have to work here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

You are in for a surprise. Good luck.

Can you be more specific? Recent big escalation in cases is due to three very specific things: Muay Thai event; Thong Lo clubbing; change in MOPH reporting methodology.

What else do you have in mind that will be a surprise? We all expect cases to grow. What else? They're growing everywhere, worldwide.

• Haha 1

Here's the thing.....a Thai person sees you that you don't know.

1.  Oh, a tourist, day 1, likely to spread Covid to 5 people and kill us all

2.  Oh, a tourist who is dirty and responsible for ruining my country

3.  Oh, a tourist who thinks they are better than me by traveling.

4.  then they will think of money.....a short-term fix

yea, start wearing T-shirts in Thai.....In Thailand for 10-years!!!  

• Like 1

you guys have it good

think about the ones forced (multi non-o) to border hop to get another 90 days with no options at immigration thanks to rogue IO.

I have a child to take care off, an immigration officer that prefers to laugh with my ex-wife being a pain problem, than to help the situation...

and a PM that does not want to lock down and provide some human solution as in ... 90 day extension without all the hassle and more TRAVEL ... specially I have to bring my child to immigration and try to beg now for a 60 day as I cannot border hop or get a new visa abroad ...

Edited by justin case
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, justin case said:

you guys have it good

think about the once forced (multi non-o) to border hop to get another 90 days with no options at immigration thanks to rogue IO 

My landlord was due for his 90 day border bounce and without a covid cert or insurance felt it would be impossible to re-enter the Kingdom so instead boarded a flight and went home to Melbourne.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

My landlord was due for his 90 day border bounce and without a covid cert or insurance felt it would be impossible to re-enter the Kingdom so instead boarded a flight and went home to Melbourne.

great news...I have my child that cannot leave Thailand, thanks to ex-wife

I really would LOVE to leave this crazy country WITH my child, but will have to wait till child is 20 years old ... mother is nowhere to be seen since more than a year... but ex-wife knows how to be a pain ...

8 hours ago, timendres said:

Live here. Work here. Staying here. The hysteria will die down in a few months' time, as the reality sets in. Not interested in watching the US version of hysteria, so I will watch the Thai version.

Im in Cambodia, no hysteria at all.

• Thanks 1

The best place to be for anyone would be the USA, but circumstances rule against it for me, so Im here in quiet Siem Reap cleaning my house and cooking and catching up on my reading. I have a credit on Delta and am just waiting for them to start back up. Everyone needs to wash their hands regularly and sanitize those phones and keyboards!

7 hours ago, Vigilante said:

My views exactly.

I chose to stay though for a number of un-related reasons.

If ppl can leave and have no responsibilities here (assuming they can find flights) I would suggest they go

Angry/fearful/hungry thais will have to vent their anger somehow and we could be one of the recipients

be more worried that would happen in London..

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most countries won't be able to cope with medical treatment anyway, flying back may be worse than Thailand.

I'm staying in Thailand

Dr. John Campbell, an English doctor, who has done a daily podcast on the state of the world as far as infection and the different countries efforts stated yesterday he feels 2 -3 billion probably will end up infected. Even if its half of that the world will never be the same.. 

• Haha 1