Where do we/I Stand

Jumbo1968

My Thai G.F. and son are currently in the UK, I am a UK resident, we have been here since the 9th of March, our return date is booked for the 13th of May with B.A.

Entry for my self non Thai they are saying I would require a Medical Certificate to state I don’t have Coronavirus which to be honest who could/would issue or write a Certificate saying that. Health Insurance, what company is going to cover me for Health Insurance for a country like Thailand where on a daily basis the numbers are dramatically increasing. I could try for Travel Insurance but I am sure there will be a clause stating that because I am knowingly returning to a country where there is Coronavirus albeit if the U.K. has not advised persons to travel to Thailand that might ok. 

Am I looking at an extended stay in the UK, my GF is not a seasoned traveller and has only transited through Heathrow once before, she would be coming from Newcastle and would have to go a different Departure Gate via the train with our 5 year old son.

We have a few weeks before our proposed date but just looking for some honest opinions, as far as I know B.A are still flying into Bangkok.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Updafed

Wait and see, you might find that Thailand has opened up by May. As for a test certificate, I believe that private clinics will be offering that ... I read one in Harley St is doing so already. There will no doubt be one where you live soon. But make sure you get the test close to the flight, as they may impose a time on it.

My Thai G.F. has a visa valid till September our son has a U.K. Passport, thanks for all the positive replies, we are taking each day as it comes.
My biggest concern is under what terms and conditions and hoops we have to jump through I will need to return to Thailand. I will be applying for a Non O Single Entry Visa based on receiving my U.K. State Pension from London but again up ‘in the air’ for the time being.

BA are suspending flights from the 29th March, for at least 30 days.

It may be better to sit tight in the UK, but hopefully the situation will be better by May. It depends when Thailand removes the boarding certs for going to Thailand, may be the deciding factor. I think obtaining them is perhaps not very practical, until some normality and the panic subsides.

I understand that the NHS would treat your Wife and child, without charge should they have any Covid problems (reading the pages for Scotland)

The son and I hopefully are returning to the UK this week, and would anticipate no possibility of returning to Thailand for at least 12 weeks ( point of view, not fact). I think the UK October School holidays, may be the next time back to Thailand for us?

Edited by UKresonant

What is the situation here in Thailand regarding the need for treatment if any of us is unlucky enough to get the virus.  Many, including me, are too old to be insured or find such insurance too expensive, albeit I now understand Covid-19 has been removed from policies.    I have no idea what it would cost to  an individual here in Thailand but in a worst case scenario a lengthy stay in ICU would doubtless be expensive.

Would we be turned away or treated?

23 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It is highly unlikely that the situation would have improved in Thailand. Do you really want to go to  a country that does not handle stress very well? Stay where you are and wait 3-6 months. You will have a very good idea  the direction Thailand is going  in 30 days, and I don't expect that it will be welcoming.

Yes, given the (so far) total incompetence of the Thai government in this matter, and given the (already on display) lack of self-discipline of many many Thai people (as elsewhere in the world too), the chance that things will be better here in May are close to nil. More likely a disaster zone.

23 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

What is the situation here in Thailand regarding the need for treatment if any of us is unlucky enough to get the virus.  Many, including me, are too old to be insured or find such insurance too expensive, albeit I now understand Covid-19 has been removed from policies.    I have no idea what it would cost to  an individual here in Thailand but in a worst case scenario a lengthy stay in ICU would doubtless be expensive.

Would we be turned away or treated?

Triage is already well-established in Italy and starting in the US. Can it be different here? No, once the hospital beds are all taken and the doctors & nurses overwhelmed ...

On 3/22/2020 at 3:28 AM, pookondee said:

What is the visa status of the Thai gf and son?

I'd be staying put in the U.K.

because if visas are an issue, The UK will certainly treat the gf & son a lot better than Thailand will treat you over there.

As for Insurance. As expected, the real insurance companies have all scrambled to write in exclusions for the virus.

They are about making money after all, not giving it away.

So id say you wont get virus cover anywhere.

Though for sure there will be some Thai insurance,

probably something like

a premium of 80,000 baht for 100,000 baht cover that they will force people to buy to enter.

My old dad said you really see the true demeanor of folks when there is a crisis.

I think many are seeing that in Thailand now, but really it is just confirmation of what we knew all along anyway.

With such an opinion of a country, you should NEVER keep one foot on that soil IMHO

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

With such an opinion of a country, you should NEVER keep one foot on that soil IMHO

I have no idea what you are getting at.

I dont see any hate speak in anything i said, if thats what you are insinuating.

Since the time of this thread, it turns out Thai Immigration are being quite reasonable about visas and overstay, so

"the demeanor of folks in a crisis" works both ways. 

Its good that Immigration are showing some leniency for foreigners that might be stuck there. hats off to them.

And its not my opinion of the whole country and its people people either, but observations of what has come out from government ministers.

The health minister talking about "dirty foriegners dressed shabbily" spreading the virus and to avoid them at all costs..is a classic example.

I dont think anyone can defend that sort of talk

15 minutes ago, pookondee said:

I have no idea what you are getting at.

I dont see any hate speak in anything i said, if thats what you are insinuating.

Since the time of this thread, it turns out Thai Immigration are being quite reasonable about visas and overstay, so

"the demeanor of folks in a crisis" works both ways. 

Its good that Immigration are showing some leniency for foreigners that might be stuck there. hats off to them.

And its not my opinion of the whole country and its people people either, but observations of what has come out from government ministers.

The health minister talking about "dirty foriegners dressed shabbily" spreading the virus and to avoid them at all costs..is a classic example.

I dont think anyone can defend that sort of talk

To be very honest, I am NOT insinuating anything. On your OP you mention...

You justify the actions of the insurance companies.

Though for sure there will be some Thai insurance, probably something like a premium of 80,000 baht for 100,000 baht cover that they will force people to buy to enter.

Then, you accuse Thailand forcing a fancy policy on all foreigners - can you please give an example of this 80k:100k policy?

I think many are seeing that in Thailand now, but really it is just confirmation of what we knew all along anyway.

Finally you wrap it all up with mentioning "it is just confirmation of what we knew all along anyway"

When foreigners (of course I am not generalising here) treat locals like s*** with a high nosed attitude, we obviously have to expect a kick-back, dont we? Isn't it best that we restrict our travels to 'classy' destinations where we will be given due recognition and value for money? Instead of insults?

Why on earth would anyone sensible even dream of stepping on to a country so bad, so despicable and waste his/her hard earned money? That's all I meant - nothing less nothing more.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:36 AM, geriatrickid said:

It is highly unlikely that the situation would have improved in Thailand. Do you really want to go to  a country that does not handle stress very well? Stay where you are and wait 3-6 months. You will have a very good idea  the direction Thailand is going  in 30 days, and I don't expect that it will be welcoming.

Avoiding travel at this point in time is fairly good advice, but

"Do you really want to go to  a country that does not handle stress very well?"

Are you oblivious to the panic buying in the UK? Spoke to my 86 year old friend in the UK last night, getting a bit concerned, grand daughter brings the shopping but she can only get to the supermarket when the shelves are empty. He is getting tempted to go himself first thing in the morning and join the queues.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

...return date is booked for the 13th of May with B.A.

A lot can change between now and May, how would you for example have prepared for a return flight today one and a half month ago?

On 3/22/2020 at 5:40 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

But the weirdest thing about all this,

IMO is not a fear of getting the virus itself, but all the hysteria, idiotic reactions and crazy decisions being made in the wake of it.

As for insurance, ive never believed in it and never had it.

My hypothetical example was a more of a tongue in cheek comment as for what a scam all insurance is.

I couldn’t agree more what you say, yes I sympathise with people who have lost their loved ones but today’s social media has sent people into panic mode. As soon as the government announces new measure it ups the ante.

i went to my local supermarket at 8,30 today for milk, the car park was full, the staff were supervising the queues at the tills. Sheer utter madness, the shelves were already empty, I suspect most of the fresh food will end up in the garbage as the sell by date approaches then it will be another shopping frenzy !

"As for insurance, ive never believed in it and never had it."

That must be one of the most stupid comments ever made. Then you're one out about 37% of the Brits travelling worldwide and wants someone else to pay for you when s**t happens.  

I'd be thinking long and hard about leaving a western healthcare system, that you're covered under.  Make sure you're family is insured, and stay put.  LOS is not one of the best places to be right now.  If you think the UK is struggling to cope, try to imagine Thailand over the next few weeks/months.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 4:58 AM, pookondee said:

What is the visa status of the Thai gf and son?

I'd be staying put in the U.K.

because if visas are an issue, The UK will certainly treat the gf & son a lot better than Thailand will treat you over there.

As for Insurance. As expected, the real insurance companies have all scrambled to write in exclusions for the virus.

So id say you wont get virus cover anywhere.

Though for sure there will be some Thai insurance,

probably something like

a premium of 80,000 baht for 100,000 baht cover that they will force people to buy to enter.

My old dad said you really see the true demeanor of folks when there is a crisis.

Yes, everything is so good in the UK: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/coronavirus-crisis-sacked-hotel-staff-told-to-leave-accommodation-immediately-saved-by-rival/ar-BB11thRa

There are much more Corona cases in the UK, than Thailand by the way.

25 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes, everything is so good in the UK: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/coronavirus-crisis-sacked-hotel-staff-told-to-leave-accommodation-immediately-saved-by-rival/ar-BB11thRa

There are much more Corona cases in the UK, than Thailand by the way.

I might be on my own here, but IMO the virus itself is only part of the issue.

Most will recover unscathed.

The worse thing is the social problems and what will happen when economies go bust.

Who will look after their citizens the best? 

and who will sit back and allow things slide into anarchy?

It said it multiple times, the social and economic problems from all this panic will be left LONG after the virus is gone.

• Like 1