Canadian traveller detained in Thailand amid COVID-19 confusion coming home

rooster59

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:08 AM, jackdd said:

It surprises me how little empathy these people (airline staff and immigration) show for somebody who didn't do much wrong and was just unlucky to end up in this situation.

He wasn't unlucky, should have gone home when this <deleted> starting to happen.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 9:28 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

Last thing I would want (well except for maybe detention in Thai holding cell) is to be one of those 'emergency evacuated' by the Canadian government since there are so many people panicking and there will be more than likely more than a few that will be masking symptoms that might get them disallowed boarding of the flight.   Better to hold up and wait it out where you are.

"Wait it out where you are"! And then risk being locked up for Overstaying.

Pearls of wisdom from #&#$.

26 minutes ago, fgmr said:

"Wait it out where you are"! And then risk being locked up for Overstaying.

Pearls of wisdom from #&#$.

Immigration is doing extensions in 30 day increments (if I read it right).  You can stay legally if you are legal.  Since he did not violate immigration law they can let him in legally if they wanted.

• Like 1

excuse my ignorance....buy why would immigration confiscate their passports....why not give back and send them back to where they came from?

Secondly....airline personnel SHOULD not have let him on the plane....in my opinion. They of all people should be up to date with changes.

1 hour ago, zyxwv said:

excuse my ignorance....buy why would immigration confiscate their passports....why not give back and send them back to where they came from?

Secondly....airline personnel SHOULD not have let him on the plane....in my opinion. They of all people should be up to date with changes.

I read that they were in the airline detention room and it was the airlines responsibility to fly them back... but it would be around 5 days for that to happen (assuming the flights are still flying 5 days later).

You are now just reporting exactly what Thai Immigration has stated.  They stated that the Airline failed to do the proper pre-boarding checks and that person should not have allowed to board - which is why he is being held pending space on the airlines flight to fly them back.

Your ignorance is excused ????

Edited by bkkcanuck8