Potential ugly violence due to Covid-19 impact in the coming months?

bbi1

Do you think there will be potential ugly violence due to Covid-19 impact in the coming months?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes of course there's the potential for violence, especially when those who have little or nothing become increasingly more desperate. We (farangs) would do well to make sure that we (as much as possible) stay indoors. Of course that won't always be possible and then extra precautions will be needed.There are metal (grill-type) security doors in my house. I've never thought about using them before but now I think it makes sense for me to buy padlocks for them and keep them locked and shut. Personal safety isn't just about social distancing, alcohol sanitisers and masks.

I hope you all stay safe and well and get through this with no problems.

Regards,

Joe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am sure there will be an increase in opportunist petty thefts and possibly burglaries but given that while as communities  are collectively going to  feel the pinch households are also going  to be more populated.

If there is a risk of violence it is more likely to start there due to the frustration.

I would  bet a dime against a dollar that there will be direct  appeals  at the doors of  many  farang made under the illusion of those being  an unlimited source of wealth as evidenced by the visible assets many have accumulated. My wife is already prepared without prompting  to tell any such to revisit their history of financial recklessness . And  no we are not interested  in picking up the finance contract on several hundred vehicles liable  for  repossession or hundreds or even thousands  of  rai of  land which have  no title etc.

This already happens but it will get worse. For those (expats) who  have a well established harmonious (relatively) relationship  within their extended  family and/or community which,most importantly, is supported by their Thai wife/partner IMO no  generalized  problems should  arise.

At this point in time there is a slow dawning comprehension of the uncertainty of what and when or  even if  normalcy will recommence....for anyone  anywhere despite  optimistic  statements from on high !

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:
2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am going to be fighting with my cats for the last scraps of chicken bones.

Let the cats eat the chicken bones ....... then eat the cats.

I see we have some real Bear Grylls fans here. What do you recommend, grilled or saute'd?

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Instead of "ugly violence" isn't it more likely that they will

turn to the soft targets first.....shops that are shuttered?

goldsmiths. pawn shops etc etc

As I said before, we're not in MIllwall anymore.

The Chinese tourists are very important to Thailand's GDP, they might force the government to let them in again when they don't have enough food on their table.

All I see now is cheap Charlies (foreigners) riding their bicycles in Thailand and not spending much.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Wouldn't have thought so. As Swiss says, a lot more community orientated than our countries + there will be less chance to get bladdered or yabaa'd up with no money in their pockets. There might be some silly misplaced animosity toward farangs, however, as apparently it is our disease. 

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

AC is only allowing residents to purchase food, so flipper ID or ACR is required. 

I have a friend in AC (under a month, so won't have an ACR), he hasn't reported anything of the sort, and seems quite comfortable for now. Even so AC has violence at the best of times, for sure I'd be on guard there.

There's an account making the rounds in Chiang Mai of a woman bicycling with her bf and a thai guy rode up behind her and spat on her back. Then passed her and spat on her again. 

The bf grabbed him and pushed him to the ground.

Looks like foreigners are not popular now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Logosone said:

There's an account making the rounds in Chiang Mai of a woman bicycling with her bf and a thai guy rode up behind her and spat on her back. Then passed her and spat on her again. 

Which type of foreigners? 

poll in the OP lacks option "depends where"

as far as Thailand is concerned, I will certainly pay more attention to what people around me are up to.

condo security also needs to keep eyes open.

my guess is that petty theft, burglaries and assaults will be on the rise.

Everything is about Choice and free will.

A box of Ramen Noodles is 150 baht, people always selling fruit cheap or maybe you grow fruit trees, its not going to kill anyone to share or to help those in need and there are always those in need in the villages and its certainly good for the Soul.

If Thailand is you're home, whether accepted by the Government or not we are all Gods Children.

Would you watch a child starve to death or a dog starve to death or even these monkeys starve to death?

You can go out in many ways, at you're local brothel, drinking yourself to death, hiding and hoarding or Giving.

The Choice must be made very soon.

And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

• Like 1

This virus situation present so many potential dangers, that violent crime is nothing to compare.

For example, there is the possibility of starvation to death in your apartment, is there

will be a total lockdown like in wuhan.

rumor has it that many more people died in wuhan from starvation, because they could not go

to buy food or because there was no food to buy, than from the virus.

When a government decide to declare a total shutdown, they they can shoot anyone who is walking 

in the street.

soldjers and policeman might also get criminal when they are hungry, and rob or steal the people.

but this can happan in any country, not just in thailand.

generally i think this virus creates more solidarity and fear even among criminals,

so this is not the main concern.

• Sad 1

Anyone around during the '97 financial crisis care to weigh in? 

I suspect the current pandemic has the potential to be much more severe and jarring, but a "boots on the ground" review of the '97 crisis response might provide a bit of context.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I would  bet a dime against a dollar that there will be direct  appeals  at the doors of  many  farang made under the illusion of those being  an unlimited source of wealth as evidenced by the visible assets many have accumulated.

Attractive young women (of legal age) are always welcome to call at my front door and ask for assistance.

They might even succeed if the misses isn't around for long enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Logosone said:

"...making the rounds..."

Citation needed.