Farang laid off because of current situation ...what's next?

Fortunately, I am not in this situation but I've heard of some expats, particularly in the hospitality industry, being laid off.

This means no work permit anymore. 

Then need to pack quickly if you're below 50 y.o.? 

I hope I am wrong?

Edited by xtof2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155116-immigration-is-allowing-30-day-extensions-of-entries-memorandum-dated-1803/?do=getNewComment

Looks like you can keep getting 30 day extensions. I just hope school opens on time in May. Also hoping for those Trump Bucks, supposedly in April.

Ok, so same rules as for tourism visa ...and can be extended i guess?

24 minutes ago, xtof2 said:

Fortunately, I am not in this situation but I've heard of some expats, particularly in the hospitality industry, being laid off.

This means no work permit anymore. 

Then need to pack quickly if you're below 50 y.o.? 

I hope I am wrong?

Not really surprising that they are laid off.

But i guess they have to be informed at least a month or so in advance, so they have some time to prepare.

They have to hope that immigration grants them some kind of extension or they will have to fly back home, same situation as many other people.

Edited by jackdd

3 hours ago, xtof2 said:

Ok, so same rules as for tourism visa ...and can be extended i guess?

Will happily defer to @ubonjoe on this, but my gut feeling is that they might be covered as cases of necessity by Category 2 of the Memorandum and Criteria 2.28 of Police Orders 138/2557 & 327/2557 and subject to the requirement for a certified request to be provided by their home country embassy. Failing that, their only option would appear to be Category 3.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

The authorities have moved to deal with extensions dealing with those stuck in Thailand and those needing to renew O visas.  There is no reason to believe that they won't also deal with this problem - albeit that it may not be a priority for them at the moment.

If I was in the position described by the OP, I think I'd be talking to immigration.

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Not really surprising that they are laid off.

But i guess they have to be informed at least a month or so in advance, so they have some time to prepare.

They have to hope that immigration grants them some kind of extension or they will have to fly back home, same situation as many other people.

But are there any flights?