Savannakhet

Just want to let people know I tried re new my non o marriage visa in savannakhet last week. Been going there for the last five years no problems same paper work as I always take woman at the counter said no cannot give you. I asked her why and she said my marriage certificate must be translated into thai and I need a cor ror from the amphur to prove my marriage is real. There were a lot of other people there most got denied so be careful if you ever go there again she said to me it depends on how you look and how she feels to what paper work you need her words.

• Haha 1

This is most unfortunate. However, it reinforces what I often warn people. Some Thai officials (especially older ones) may judge you based on your appearance. When dealing with officialdom, dress the way you would if going to the bank to ask for a loan. It usually will not matter, but some officials see very casual clothing or poor grooming as disrespectful.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

This is most unfortunate. However, it reinforces what I often warn people. Some Thai officials (especially older ones) may judge you based on your appearance. When dealing with officialdom, dress the way you would if going to the bank to ask for a loan. It usually will not matter, but some officials see very casual clothing or poor grooming as disrespectful.

Tim, Just How MANY Will wear A Suit,Shirt & Tie in This HEAT, I Agree with the grooming bit Nice TIDY Haircut & A CLEAN Shave is most Important though !!

26 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:
2 hours ago, BritTim said:

if going to the bank to ask for a loan.

Tim, Just How MANY Will wear A Suit,Shirt & Tie in This HEAT,

Very few people go to a bank in Thailand dressed like that. There are other ways to look respectable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Tim, Just How MANY Will wear A Suit,Shirt & Tie in This HEAT, I Agree with the grooming bit Nice TIDY Haircut & A CLEAN Shave is most Important though !!

A jacket and tie is not necessary. However, I strongly recommend a shirt with a collar and long pants. Also, wear shoes with socks. For people unused to dressing that way, I recognise that it can be uncomfortable. If you decide my suggestion is impractical in your case, that is fine. Just understand the potential consequences. Those older officials you should worry about dress in their starched uniforms every day, and do not comprehend the inability of a Westerner to dress smartly for their visit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A jacket and tie is not necessary. However, I strongly recommend a shirt with a collar and long pants. Also, wear shoes with socks. For people unused to dressing that way, I recognise that it can be uncomfortable. If you decide my suggestion is impractical in your case, that is fine. Just understand the potential consequences. Those older officials you should worry about dress in their starched uniforms every day, and do not comprehend the inability of a Westerner to dress smartly for their visit.

Shorts, Liverpool T-shirt and flip flops always worked for me.

They probably don't like sweaty, smelly old men reeking in long trousers and sweat soaked long sleeved shirts.

Edited by BritManToo

She actually said "it depends how you look and how I feel"??? 

10 hours ago, gav2013 said:

she said to me it depends on how you look and how she feels to what paper work you need her words.

I suspect many immigration officers around the world do judge a person by how a person may look and how they feel, but nobody is going to admit it to your face like you say she did. Did she also say " next time, I need to see you in am Armani suit and then if I am having a good day, I won't ask for the required documents"?  Just as believable.

14 hours ago, gav2013 said:

my marriage certificate must be translated into thai

If not a Thai one, you would need the doc from registering it in Thailand, which requires the translated certificate.

14 hours ago, gav2013 said:

a cor ror from the amphur to prove my marriage is real

This may be a new requirement.  Maybe they don't always ask for it, even now, but I had it with me when I applied. 

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Those older officials you should worry about dress in their starched uniforms every day, and do not comprehend the inability of a Westerner to dress smartly for their visit.

Perhaps they should sit outside under a tent for a few hours to improve their empathy! 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Those older officials you should worry about dress in their starched uniforms every day, and do not comprehend the inability of a Westerner to dress smartly for their visit.

Perhaps they should sit outside under a tent for a few hours to improve their empathy! 

You probably already realise this, but just in case...

I am not expressing approval for self important Thai officials who feel "lower mortals" should fawn around them showing respect. I am just pointing out reality. Personally, I think trying to convince them that their attitude is wrong is an exercise in futility. I choose to hide my disgust, and conform to their expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was there two weeks ago and I got turn away, she told me that I needed a new passport... I still had 3 1/2 pages empty.

So back on the bus for my 10 hr trip back home, now I am waiting for my new passport and try it again. But I did see 4 different people get turned away.

Something I never seen before!