How to obtain a COVID-19 Visa Extension Letter from the Australian Embassy Bangkok

Since we've got an American & British thread opened but can't see any talks about the Aussie Embassy, has there been any Aussies who have tried to get a COVID-19 Visa Extension Letter from the Australian Embassy Bangkok? If so, what was required and how did you do it? Eg. in person, email, etc.

• Thanks 1

Well, i (Brit) was planning to go to CW on Thursday to extend a 30 Day Permission to stay. I don't have flight cancellation to wave about or anything else for that matter, over and above the basic requirements. I understand that all i could hope at best is a 7 day extension? ☹️

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

2 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Well, i (Brit) was planning to go to CW on Thursday to extend a 30 Day Permission to stay. I don't have flight cancellation to wave about or anything else for that matter, over and above the basic requirements.

Will it be your first 30 day extension? If yes you will get the normal 30 days allowed.

The UK embassy is issuing the letters if needed.

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Being OZ, will be very interested in replies.

From my experience they do zip. They don't provide (witness) stat decs. They don't even provide a residence certificate.

You need an appointment. Think that's to show off their impressive new embassy.

Useless mob.

This is their website, correct:  https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/

I read on that site that they closed down all appointments due to Covid-19 concerns.

Seems there's also a Phuket consulate but it's also closed: https://phuket.consulate.gov.au/

The office of the Australian Consulate-General in Phuket is closed to the public temporarily. 

Consulate-General staff are still providing consular assistance remotely at this time.  We apologise for the inconvenience. 

Please email us at:  [email protected]

Passport and notarial services requests should be directed to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

For urgent consular assistance, please contact +61 2 6261 3305.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing on the OZ embassy about the letters that I can see.

Contact them about it. https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/contact-us.html

The letter is not needed if you are applying for a extension of a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

If that's the case why has there been multiple reports today on the below thread in Chaeng Wattana & Jomtien of people (Americans) on visa exempt entries & tourist visas getting denied? Even the American Embassy apparently acknowledged that many were being denied extensions.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

f that's the case why has there been multiple reports today on the below thread in Chaeng Wattana & Jomtien of people (Americans) on visa exempt entries & tourist visas getting denied?

I have not seen any for Chaeng Wattana. 

Maybe Jomtien has not gotten the message. The memo does not mention it being needed for them.

Only for those under number 2 of the memo.

What a load of BS from the Aussie consulate in Phuket! Not providing those letters to people here on tourist visas. Double standard morons!

“We will not consider providing these letters to those who are traveling on Tourist Visas,” the notice added.

I rang them a few times twice I got the Thai receptionist who said they don't issue letters the next time she asked her supervisor and said the same,the last time I think I got the supervisor after explaining my situation he suggested I email; [email protected]

I did this yesterday evening and am now waiting for a reply.My overstay begins tomorrow,so I'm taking bets on who will arrive first Consular assistance 1000 to 1  or the BMW even odds.

Ubonjoe: I have a multi entry non-imm "O" visa and normally I can get a 60 day extension near the end of my 90 days without having to supply any letter from the embassy. Do you know if this system has changed or is it still the same. Please only Ubonjoe answer.

56 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Ubonjoe: I have a multi entry non-imm "O" visa and normally I can get a 60 day extension near the end of my 90 days without having to supply any letter from the embassy. Do you know if this system has changed or is it still the same. Please only Ubonjoe answer.

All the same since you are applying for a standard extension you qualify for.

The letter is only needed for those that do not qualify for any extension.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I might be wrong but I was under the impression tourist visa holders didn't require the letter for the extension or is that only for VOA's and visa exempt?

It is not needed for tourist visa or visa exempt entries. Immigration waived the only one extension per entry rule.

The 15 day visa on arrival on entries did not qualify for an extension so the letter is required for them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sikishrory said:

also note the Phuket news story from today that yes they are and how to obtain one

I have just had a reply to my email from the Australian Embassy saying they may be able to assist me with the letter and asked for confirmation that I have sufficient funds to cover the next 6-12 months.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

If flights are available Embassies will not issue letters requesting extensions. 

Which embassies have that requirement.

The UK and US embassies do not have that restriction on issuing the letters.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

If flights are available Embassies will not issue letters requesting extensions. 

I've emailed; [email protected] and explained my personal circumstances and provided supporting evidence and received a reply saying they may be able to assist me with the letter.Like most things they make you work for it.For me leaving is not an option I will consider.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Australian Embassy told me they will not issue a letter if leaving Thailand is an option and possible.Leaving for me is not an option I will consider hence they're considering my case I think.They are playing hardball to sift out the not so needy applications but I think if one is persistent and has a case for staying they seem to be considering on a "case by case" basis.I hate that term "case by case basis".

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A relative staying with us was refused a letter by the BE because flights to the UK are available. 

1 minute ago, Mr Smithy said:

A relative staying with us was refused a letter by the BE because flights to the UK are available. 

Perhaps you should read the topic about getting them. I suspect that was before they made issuing them official.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I might be wrong but I was under the impression tourist visa holders didn't require the letter for the extension or is that only for VOA's and visa exempt?

Even I’m starting to get nervous about it now I’m really starting to wonder how much longer this gonna go on this cannot become a new normal. But I heard immigration was just giving it to anyone who needs it who’s stranded. 

Edited by JimLuce

1 hour ago, Mr Smithy said:

If flights aren't available they surely shouldn't need to! :blink:

(Imm should be flexible instead of resorting to bureaucratic & totally avoidable nonsense)

Edited by evadgib

32 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

Same experience. UK Embassy sucks. I needed a letter to Certify my passport and explained to the UK Embassy that I was unwilling to travel from Jomtien to Bangkok for a normal interview under the current circumstances and could they do that electronically. They explained that they would only do that, if I could not get a flight to the UK, where I have no intention of going.

At least the Australian government has a decent virus plan, so hope that gives you a better chance of the Embassy being a little more practical and actually trying to help their citizens during these unprecedented times.

1 hour ago, w94005m said:

At least the Australian government has a decent virus plan, so hope that gives you a better chance of the Embassy being a little more practical and actually trying to help their citizens during these unprecedented times.

Just received my letter from the Australian Embassy.I will take it into Yasothon Immigration tomorrow and see if they will accept it for the extension.It does have my name and passport number but other than that it seems to be generic type of letter stating it doesn't object to Australians applying for extensions in Thailand and that Thais will receive reciprocal treatment in Australia and requests favourable assistance in these uncertain times where they are appropriate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps you should read the topic about getting them. I suspect that was before they made issuing them official.

He read and followed the BE instructions which make reference to the official Thai position