How to obtain a COVID-19 Visa Extension Letter from the Australian Embassy Bangkok

13 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'll get back to you shortly as Fatty Vautin was fond of saying.

Personally I'm thinking that sounds like a pre-existing rubbish letter already on their system.

I hope I'm wrong so you can obtain your 30 days. 

Good luck

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally I'm thinking that sounds like a pre-existing rubbish letter already on their system.

I hope I'm wrong so you can obtain your 30 days. 

Good luck

Thanks.It does look a bit sus but it has my name and passport number on it and an all important looking stamp and Embassy logo and words requesting assistance and stating that reciprocal actions will be offered Thais in Oz so I'm also hoping your wrong and that the light I see at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train.Here's hoping.

Good luck to you also and stay well for future stoushes on this here forum.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm also hoping I'm wrong.

Bit soppy but just sent email to family in OZ that we all need to stick together now.

I'm cross that Thai AND other countries making it difficult. Right now everyone should stay where they currently are.

Week back I was suggesting everyone should return to home country. I stand by that, but now it's different. Government need close and help folk on short term stays.

I agree now is not really the time for pettiness regardless of peoples views about the virus and what is or isn't as these times will sound large in history and clear heads and good hearts and sharing should be prioritised.I worry that the virus is not the only danger here and I'll repeat my not so mysterious Beware the cure!Or my slightly conspirious (new word?) make way and remain calm for the new world order.    

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

Will it be your first 30 day extension? If yes you will get the normal 30 days allowed.

The UK embassy is issuing the letters if needed.

You can apply online and they will post the letter to you.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, ubonjoe said:

All the same since you are applying for a standard extension you qualify for.

The letter is only needed for those that do not qualify for any extension.

So for instance, someone who had already extended their Non-O (Spouse) for the usual 60 days would need the letter from their embassy to get an additional 30 days? 

54 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

So for instance, someone who had already extended their Non-O (Spouse) for the usual 60 days would need the letter from their embassy to get an additional 30 days? 

A letter would be needed. But under number 3 of the memorandum you might be able to get another 60 day extension.

• Like 2

I'm in the same position as fondue zoo, but a guardian non 'o' visa. I wrote my US embassy a few days ago and got the generic letter. After reading a bit here, I e-mailed again and got a 'personalized' letter within a few hours with my name, DOB, and passport number on it. 

It was very quick. I sent the e-mail about 6.30 this morning and had the new one before 10.00 am. The 'personalization' is nothing that I couldn't have done myself to the 1st one sent to me, as it's only my details added to the bottom of the generic letter (risking forgery) but at least now I can bring it up on my e-mail and show immi CW proof that it came from US embassy. I'm going to try to go to CW tomorrow, missus and kids in tow (unfortunately).

Good luck everyone. Please stay safe.

Edited by dayward1
Sorry, I posted this in the Australian letter section. My apologies. Please move it to the USA letter if need be. Sorry.

Just got back from Yasothon where I was successful in getting a two week extension on my 60 day extension of my non imm o me spouse visa.It took two hour and 50 sheets of signed documents with two copies of everything.The office wasn’t sure of a few things including the letter being emailed and not an original hard copy personal collected from the Embassy this took 1 1/2 hours to sort out,lucky it was as small office and the next customer didn’t arrive until I’d nearly finished.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

Just received my letter from the Australian Embassy.I will take it into Yasothon Immigration tomorrow and see if they will accept it for the extension.It does have my name and passport number but other than that it seems to be generic type of letter stating it doesn't object to Australians applying for extensions in Thailand and that Thais will receive reciprocal treatment in Australia and requests favourable assistance in these uncertain times where they are appropriate.

Thanks for advising the result. I went to this office with the same sort of visa,  The woman, who speaks good English, smiles a lot but asks her boss before she dots every i and crosses every t. It's painful. Vogon-like Thai bureacracy

Edited by Isaan Alan
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just got back from Yasothon where I was successful in getting a two week extension on my 60 day extension of my non imm o me spouse visa.It took two hour and 50 sheets of signed documents with two copies of everything.The office wasn’t sure of a few things including the letter being emailed and not an original hard copy personal collected from the Embassy this took 1 1/2 hours to sort out,lucky it was as small office and the next customer didn’t arrive until I’d nearly finished.

they only gave you 14 days? They are supposed to give you 30 days. You will have to do it again soon.

I suspected they would be wary of am emailed letter too.

For anyone considering contacting the Australian embassy, got a response marked as 'automated reply' a few days later, stating, among other things:

"We are unable to respond to any queries relating to a visa for Thailand, please contact Thai Immigration Bureau on (02) 141 98 89"

Edited by jacob29

On 3/25/2020 at 9:50 PM, Isaan Alan said:

they only gave you 14 days? They are supposed to give you 30 days. You will have to do it again soon.

I suspected they would be wary of am emailed letter too.

As Vermin on Arrival has noted I checked the stamp in my passport and it also says "under consideration" so I will see what happens when I go back.

14 hours ago, jacob29 said:

For anyone considering contacting the Australian embassy, got a response marked as 'automated reply' a few days later, stating, among other things:

"We are unable to respond to any queries relating to a visa for Thailand, please contact Thai Immigration Bureau on (02) 141 98 89"

I got this message also and it seems to mean they confirm they got your message and will be processing your request.Hopefully.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I got this message also and it seems to mean they confirm they got your message and will be processing your request.Hopefully.

That's good to hear, it's madness to have such a vague message, the content makes me think it's a template they shoot out to anyone they don't want to send a personalized response to.

6 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

That's good to hear, it's madness to have such a vague message, the content makes me think it's a template they shoot out to anyone they don't want to send a personalized response to.

I've already received the letter and it's a generic letter with my passport number and name and is not dated so my guess it should be reusable. 

• Like 1