Anyone tried to enter Thailand from UK as of 23 March

vanbrit548

Has anyone been able to successfully enter Thailand today (23 March 2020).  My buddy from the UK on a long term retirement Visa and his Thai wife were denied boarding yesterday at Newcastle Airport for a connecting BA flight from London to Bangkok.  He was told he needed a Health Certificate declaring them both fit to travel. He said that COVID19 tests are not available through his doctor! So how can he get a certificate?  I also read that he needed to have 100,000 USD  medical insurance.  I understand he has An Aetna insurance card for 2,000,000 baht.   Sounds like he may need to contact Aetna to up his insurance to 3,000,000 baht at least.   Anyone have any experience to share or suggestions?

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

You would think the airline might be warning people what is needed to board

Apparently NOT.  BA are a disgrace! They passed all the security checks then were denied boarding at the gate.  Frankly i think they should have been informed before checking in! A text notification at least .  Is that so hard!!! They have the technology as BA  sends sms messages of flight changes.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The twin requirements of a COVID certificate and and 100K USD is just Thailand's way of saying f##k off, we're full.

100k USD medical insurance isn't exactly unattainable. The health certificate might be hard depending on where you are.

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

This requirement was gazetted by the Thai Government on Thursday 19th March 2020  to come into effect at 00.00Hrs on Sunday 22nd March,and is also required for people that will be in transit in Thai Airports with onward flights to other countries.

IMG-20200321-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

100k USD medical insurance isn't exactly unattainable. The health certificate might be hard depending on where you are.

I agree if you have existing conditions it can be difficult but if not its easily obtainable for very little money but the Medical Cert stating no CoviD-19 and no symptoms for past 14 days in impossible to obtain here in UK.  Here's a link to the Thai DODC  https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/ind_outbreak.php

One other point is they state self isolating for 14 days at your place of residence but what if its just a 7 day trip ? would you be allowed to leave Thailand to get back to UK ??

If anyone does know how to get one of these certs I'd be grateful, as have a trip booked for end of April but no looking good.

Stay safe everyone 

And remember the insurance MUST state covid-19 covered, which you will not get now, my insurance taken out last year covers covid-19, even though it did not exist last jun, my insurer says it does, but they are not willing to reissue the form saying covid-19 cover, and if you are in the uk, you will not get a letter from your gp. Im not sure if a private doctor could issue a certificate, at least Thai have the requiremets on their website

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, vanbrit548 said:

1 hour ago, vanbrit548 said:

Apparently NOT.  BA are a disgrace! They passed all the security checks then were denied boarding at the gate.  Frankly i think they should have been informed before checking in! A text notification at least .  Is that so hard!!! They have the technology as BA  sends sms messages of flight changes.  

Quite right, have they complained?  and did they offer to refund their air fare?

Edited by howerde
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kabuta said:

I agree if you have existing conditions it can be difficult but if not its easily obtainable for very little money but the Medical Cert stating no CoviD-19 and no symptoms for past 14 days in impossible to obtain here in UK.  Here's a link to the Thai DODC  https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/ind_outbreak.php

One other point is they state self isolating for 14 days at your place of residence but what if its just a 7 day trip ? would you be allowed to leave Thailand to get back to UK ??

If anyone does know how to get one of these certs I'd be grateful, as have a trip booked for end of April but no looking good.

Stay safe everyone 

You should cancel your trip unless absolutely essential. Governments are in a state of flux, they are moving the goalposts almost daily. IMO it will take 4 - 6 months for some semblance of order to be restored, and that is probably optimistic.

• Like 2

Denmark has closed it's boarders, but if you provide a valid reason, like traveling to your minor children, you may enter. To stop tourists and other unnessesary traveling makes sens, but there are of course exceptions. That's something Thailand fails to recognize with their impossible demand for 100k usd insurance and neg covid19 test.

Edited by RotBenz8888
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You should cancel your trip unless absolutely essential. Governments are in a state of flux, they are moving the goalposts almost daily. IMO it will take 4 - 6 months for some semblance of order to be restored, and that is probably optimistic.

I think your right unfortunately, it’s gonna be here for a while so I’ll get onto Thai Airways in the morning

14 hours ago, Greyhat said:

Wherever you are now, you need to stay put.

I would say your Thai wife is better staying in the UK than being in Thailand 1,000s of workers left Bangkok the other day when the government closed most of the place down and got buses to the home towns so I imagine this virus will now spread like wildfire over the coming weeks and the hospitals will never cope with the numbers I think Thailand will rely on China to come and help them with doctors and medical equipment.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I would say your Thai wife is better staying in the UK than being in Thailand 1,000s of workers left Bangkok the other day when the government closed most of the place down and got buses to the home towns so I imagine this virus will now spread like wildfire over the coming weeks and the hospitals will never cope with the numbers I think Thailand will rely on China to come and help them with doctors and medical equipment.

Nonsence, your just miffed because Liverpool will not now win the title lol. I am here in Thailand with my Thai wife. We are/were due to fly to the UK for 4 months on May 14th. If the situation doesn't improve in the UK we are much better off in Thailand. No food shortages, nonsence queues, not confined to home. I Thailand I can go for a walk on the beach, the shops are full and I can still eat out if I want. The UK is the last place I want to be at the moment.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

Too late, but what they are saying in a round about way is

STAY where you are & isolate as much as you can

People who do not are putting themselves & others at more risk than necessary

Obvious for 95% of us,,, the others are just selfish

21 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I would think the passenger shouldn't expect other people to do his thinking for him. The restrictions are not a secret. Caveat emptor - buyer beware.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:08 AM, Lacessit said:

Unattainable for me, 76 yo with pre-existing conditions.

Me also and I do not have any pre-existing condition or take any medication, but try telling the insurance companies, even access to my medical record to prove it is not enough they just say you are old and that is the policy

Cherry pickers the lot of them

On 3/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, Orton Rd said:

You would but they don't, i was waiting in BKK. 19th march these are messages revived by me. UK times 15.03 '' I'm at the boarding gate, see you in the morning" 

15.20 "we were supposed to board 20 min ago" 15.48 ''might not be able to travel"'being stopped at gate'' 16.12 ''still trying,still waiting" 16.25 " canceled unless we have a fit to fly cert can't get one here''  16.47 " Sorry Dad"  ????