Blast At Major Ratchayothin

snowwhite

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Col, I am almost certain after looking at the pic again your right, well I hope, but if this was an attack surely the telephone box would be destroyed, and not only that, we would be hearing by now of more blasts within the capital, how the mind wonders..........

So I'm guessing I'm not the only one feeling a little on edge at the moment....... :o

Edited by solent01

OTH, military strengthening its grip on power is counterporductive - they'll quickly loose people's support, and that support is the only thing they have, so it works in Thaksin's interests.

In fact any move that elicit junta's response gives him some information about their power and intentions. With that information he can calculate his moves and strike where it hurts most.

He tried lots of things already - asking to come home, talking to media, sending his wife to meet Prem, setting a proxy TV station etc etc. Some of it worked, some of it didn't, but he found junta soft spots every time nevertheless.

I won't rule Thaksin straight away.

I guess that will be from now on known as the 'Bejing-Bali Declaration' - the cunning plan and conspiracy of blowing up telephone box for use of make coming to power in glorious nation of Thailand.

OTH, military strengthening its grip on power is counterporductive - they'll quickly loose people's support, and that support is the only thing they have, so it works in Thaksin's interests.

The support for the government is waning. The PAD has been quite vocal about its preference for a new PM, someone who would be more--decisive. And the Youtube affair, might suggest to some in authority that the population would accept a more hardline government.

From the military's perspective, the lack of large scale demonstrations against the coup could be read as an acquiescent public- one that wouldn't object to their assuming a greater role in the running of the country and appointing a new harder line, overtly pro-CNS PM- should the need arise- due, say, to health reasons.

But of course this is all pure speculation.

Bomb at Bangkok cinema didn't target lives

Thai police have not concluded that a bomb outside a Bangkok shopping and cinema complex Monday night is related to the New Year's Eve bombings in the capital, but they believe it was designed to raise the level of fear and apprehension in an already troubled time.

Police said they believe that the latest bombing at Major Ratchayothin complex was apparently aimed to cause fear among the public.

Visiting Phaholyothin police station to seek details in the case, Assistant National Police Commissioner Lt-Gen. Jongrak Juthanont said the attacker apparently worked at night when the site was clear of casual passersby, and therefore did not intend to kill anyone.

The small and low-powered bomb was aimed to threaten the public and possibly to cause panic rather than kill passersby. Police are gathering evidence and questioning witnesses.

The small bomb packed in a plastic bottle was placed in a phone booth in front of the shopping and cinema complex, and caused no injuries.

Major Ratchayothin was one of nine locations in Bangkok and Nonthaburi, bombed on New Year's Eve.

Three people were killed and nearly 40 people were wounded in the New Year's incidents, including nine foreigners.

Source: TNA - 10 April 2007

Gimme a break, this was just a prank by teenagers.

This stuff happens back home all the time.

Oh..... OK then, no problem, just teenies being <deleted> then I guess, where is your home exactly?

Ontario, Canada.

Most likely kids setting off a pipe bomb. Did you see the damage. Practically none.

When you see a bomb rip open a packed skytrain, then worry.

Until then...

It'll never happen on the Skytrain! If there was any chance of that the CNS would get them to search bags like they do on the tube ...

Lets not jump to conclusions over who did this yet.

Perhaps your right, It could have been Jai Dee testing his new super omni spay Songkran water cannon. Looks like it needs some adjustments still.

Sorry Jai Dee I could not resist.

I guess that will be from now on known as the 'Bejing-Bali Declaration' - the cunning plan and conspiracy of blowing up telephone box for use of make coming to power in glorious nation of Thailand.

/Edit: Removed flame.

If you two cannot cease this childish feud you will both be given a holiday

The support for the government is waning. The PAD has been quite vocal about its preference for a new PM, someone who would be more--decisive. And the Youtube affair, might suggest to some in authority that the population would accept a more hardline government.

From the military's perspective, the lack of large scale demonstrations against the coup could be read as an acquiescent public- one that wouldn't object to their assuming a greater role in the running of the country and appointing a new harder line, overtly pro-CNS PM- should the need arise- due, say, to health reasons.

There was a precedent already - govt's popularity plunged after New Years bombings.

There will always be hardliners who'd support it no matter what but their numbers are usually small enough to be ignored in the face of massive disaproval from common citizens, and it's them that Thaksin might be after. Masses might not be ready to accept him yet, but driving the wedge between the people and the junta is the first, and absolutely necessary, step.

Ok lets take a look at the pieces of the puzzle here.

New years eve bombs:

No spikes in activity in the south.

April 9 bomb:

New government strong for the most part.

not going to contest all the points, but would really like to hear how you analyse that the situation in the south. no spike in activity? what does it take to show that things have been getting far worse in the past few months? I cant claim to know the cause, or what pattern its taking, but its quite evident that the violence has escalated in the last few months.

First Army Region Commander says Emergency Decree is not needed after explosion in Major Cineplex

The First Army Region Commander, Lt. Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, says it is not necessary for the Emergency Decree to be enforced in Bangkok following the bomb blast in a public telephone in front of Major Cineplex Ratchayothin last night (Apr 9).

Lt. Gen. Prayuth says army and police officials are able to take the situation under control, and he believes the explosion was triggered to only create disorder since the bomb had low intensity. However, he says he will have to wait for more results from the investigation before identifying the person behind the blast.

Meanwhile, the Superintendent of Phaholyothin Police, Pol. Maj. Gen. Somsak Wimanrat, says police are unable to identify the type of bomb yet, but it is likely to be a big firecracker since the blast did not cause many damages.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 April 2007

Maybe I live in la-la-land, but I have a hard time thinking that the former gov't (or the current gov't) would resort to these measures. I think they have more to lose than to gain. Both sides want to "save" the country. The former gov't without their leader and his style of micro-management would likely bungle the job. Also, there have been enough defections from the party that someone would likely leak some information.

The current gov't, with it's military background would most likely make something that is newsworthy enough to accomplish something--either pointing the finger at the former party or allowing for an emergency decree.

Neither of these happened with this bomb. This type of a bombing is a real nightmare for the current gov't, who wouldn't want to over-react and not big enough to seriously hurt them.

Planting explosives, and doing so in such a fashion as to avoid detection, requires some expertise. That expertise is most likely available to the Southern insurgents. They have the expertise, they have the motive and thus far, the workmanship is close enough to make them prime suspects.

In a city like BKK it's a little hard to pull this stuff off because the streets are rarely deserted--there's always traffic and people notice things.

Police question taxi driver over bomb attack at movie theatre

Police are questioning a taxi driver who parked his vehicle in front of a Bangkok movie theatre just minutes before a bomb exploded there on Monday night.

The blast that took place just before midnight at Major Cineplex Theatre Ratchayothin destroyed three street-side public telephone booths but injured no one.

The theatre was one of the sites attacked by bomb explosions in Bangkok on the New Year's Eve, killing three people and wounding more than 40.

The taxi driver, Wirat Jansa, turned himself at about 9.20 am but denied that he is not involved in the attack.

*hmmm.. does he know what a double negative does to his statement?*

He claimed that he tried to get customer at the spot but a police officer booked him for parking at the prohibited area. The officer ordered him to go to the police station to pay for the ticket. With the officer in his car, he was driving to the police station when he heard a boom behind him.

The officer then got off his taxi to investigate the scene, he said. Later his taxi centre radioed him to report himself with police. "I think that it is all about the booking but it turned to be that police wanted to question me about the bomb attack," he said.

Meanwhile Deputy Police Chief Lt Col Jongrak Jutanont who visited the site said that there was no no claims of responsibility for the explosions, which police believed was not meant to cause fatalities.

"It was meant to threaten and cause confusion," Jongrak said. He described the bomb as a "noisemaker" packed with gunpowder but no nails or other sharp objects.

He said police are investigating, but they have not yet been able to pinpoint a motive.

Prakit Prachonpatjanuk, secretary-general of the National Security Council, said that initial investigations indicated that the bombing might have been the result of a personal conflict and did not appear to be linked to Muslim insurgent violence in Thailand's deep south.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

There was a precedent already - govt's popularity plunged after New Years bombings.

There will always be hardliners who'd support it no matter what but their numbers are usually small enough to be ignored in the face of massive disaproval from common citizens, and it's them that Thaksin might be after. Masses might not be ready to accept him yet, but driving the wedge between the people and the junta is the first, and absolutely necessary, step.

and.... actually, PAD has stated they are willing to give the PM more time:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=117997

This bombing is just another zero to low casualty attack to keep the citizenry scared and in need of protection. A junta is a perfect ally in these times of duress. Watch your back! Report suspicious behaviour and activities. Join us.

Edited by sbk
discussion of moderation issues is against forum rules

New years eve bombs:

New government looking popular for the most part.

Thaksin silent for a long time.

TRT looking to be on shaky ground.

April 9 bomb:

New government strong for the most part. Only a very vocal small group of protesters trying to appear much bigger. Any negatives comes from appearing to be slow and lethargic.

Several very solid cases against Thaksin and family coming to a head.

PTV / TRT / Thaksin rallies dwindling as people begin to realize they are just being used and may be partaking in what may be viewed as anti-country and disrespect for the Kings wishes.

Many of Thaksin’s inner circle indited or on the verge of indictment.

Thaksin silent for an unusually long period of time as compared to recent weeks.

Although I have not checked a map yet but the move of the TRT to Rama 3 road is further from the scene just hours before the bomb. Although this is far fetched as the move was planed several weeks ago, it is very Thaksin like to not be at or near the scene.

In short a another piece of the puzzle has been added and it tends to point towards Thaksin and TRT as the bombers. Arrogance is falling on deaf ears so the next level involves something physical.

It's Thaksin....The sky is falling!!

The current government is strong?

It couldn't possibly be anything but Thaksin.......never mind the south, the recent shut down of rallies, the shut down of web sites, the doing away with the basic human rights of the Thai people....No, ignore that stuff.

John, I think it's time for your pills....and a little nap. :o

If they tell you to jump, you jump.....don't you?

Edited by pumpuiman

New years eve bombs:

April 9 bomb:

New government strong for the most part.

not going to contest all the points, but would really like to hear how you analyse that the situation in the south. no spike in activity? what does it take to show that things have been getting far worse in the past few months? I cant claim to know the cause, or what pattern its taking, but its quite evident that the violence has escalated in the last few months.

Yes they have been getting worse but not a spike. I would say 30+ bombs going off at the same time a spike. As I recall there were several days of increased violence associated with that.

The government being strong for the most part, I still see they are moving in the right direction, and no doubt the talk on the streets show concern but mostly because things are not moving as fast as many would like. I can look and understand the reason if I step back and see the bigger picture.

The two main reason are it appeared to be going slow, Thaksin and company have had a lot of practice at hiding their corruption. It takes time to find it and get it all out. If you note many of the changes in laws recently have been to side step people who would delay or not cooperate with investigations. Go to any of the other threads and you can clearly see a pattern of delays being caused by the TRT/ Thaksin side.

The second reason is writing a Thaksin proof constitution takes a lot of in-depth thinking, and that is not one of the points Thais are best known for. They are clearly out of their element. The longer all this takes the more it appears to many that the Junta has no plans of giving up power. This in turn fuels the ant Junta side.

If you step back and look at the whole picture and not just parts you can see this or similar things too. All the information is here in TV threads, you just have to piece them together to see the big picture.

The goal here is to make the government look weak and nonfunctional, and a bomb or two assists in that.

The second reason is writing a Thaksin proof constitution takes a lot of in-depth thinking, and that is not one of the points Thais are best known for. They are clearly out of their element.

This is rich. :D Especially coming from you. :o

I hope some of our Thai forum members have something to say about this comment. Well, if they can be bothered.

The second reason is writing a Thaksin proof constitution takes a lot of in-depth thinking, and that is not one of the points Thais are best known for. They are clearly out of their element.

I hope some of our Thai forum members have something to say about this comment. Well, if they can be bothered.

It's statements like this that make me scared as hel_l of people like John actually finding an audience, or worse given any sort of power.

Completely racist drivel.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

It's statements like this that make me scared as hel_l of people like John actually finding an audience, or worse given any sort of power.

Completely racist drivel.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Did you give that comment much thought?

I could give a few example, but the people in living in Thailand know that to be a very true statement. I will give one, like the 30% plan on capital control of companies. That cause the stock market to crash 15% in one day. Very much viewed as “Let’s see what this does.” I could go on but there is no need, you know exactly where I am coming from, just open your eyes and look at other threads.

Edited by John K