Project To Make Oil From Waste Plastic

ThaiGoon

Project to make oil from waste plastic

The Energy Ministry will support a pilot project to make fuel oil from recycled plastic waste.

If successful, it could replace about 7 per cent of Thailand's fuel imports, saving the equivalent of Bt87 billion a year.

Piyasvasti said the ministry was also encouraging the waste-recycling process in power-generating plants by offering an added rate of Bt2.50 a unit for electricity generated from waste.

The pilot recycling project is expected to cost Bt65 million and will produce fuel oil for about Bt11.50 a litre, or a wholesale price of Bt15.50 a litre. At these rates, the project will break even within five years.

Samut Prakan Governor Anuwat Methwibunwut said his province was currently participating in a waste-to-fuel oil-recycling project with the Energy Ministry, to mitigate the waste problems brought about by residential areas located near industrial areas.

The province generates 1,800 tonnes of fresh waste a day, 40 per cent of it plastic. He said two private companies were proposing to invest a combined total of Bt500 million in electricity generation from recycled waste.

The Nation

Project to make oil from waste plastic

The Energy Ministry will support a pilot project to make fuel oil from recycled plastic waste.

If successful, it could replace about 7 per cent of Thailand's fuel imports, saving the equivalent of Bt87 billion a year.

Piyasvasti said the ministry was also encouraging the waste-recycling process in power-generating plants by offering an added rate of Bt2.50 a unit for electricity generated from waste.

The pilot recycling project is expected to cost Bt65 million and will produce fuel oil for about Bt11.50 a litre, or a wholesale price of Bt15.50 a litre. At these rates, the project will break even within five years.

Samut Prakan Governor Anuwat Methwibunwut said his province was currently participating in a waste-to-fuel oil-recycling project with the Energy Ministry, to mitigate the waste problems brought about by residential areas located near industrial areas.

The province generates 1,800 tonnes of fresh waste a day, 40 per cent of it plastic. He said two private companies were proposing to invest a combined total of Bt500 million in electricity generation from recycled waste.

The Nation

-----------------------

They tried to do a similar project here in San Diego about 20 years ago. As it turned out after the plant was built it was discovered that all of the environmental impact reports had been falsified, to say the plant would be OK.

Many of the big local polititions had been paid off. None were ever brought up on charges. This huge multi mullion dollar trash to energy plant never opened and just sits there.

The tax payers were screwed out of millions and all the crooks walked away scott free...

I wonder can it really work? It was determined that the conversion process would creat to much pollution.

Maybe in Samut Prakan they wouldn't notice... :o

-----------------------

They tried to do a similar project here in San Diego about 20 years ago. As it turned out after the plant was built it was discovered that all of the environmental impact reports had been falsified, to say the plant would be OK.

Many of the big local polititions had been paid off. None were ever brought up on charges. This huge multi mullion dollar trash to energy plant never opened and just sits there.

The tax payers were screwed out of millions and all the crooks walked away scott free...

I wonder can it really work? It was determined that the conversion process would creat to much pollution.

We can use that project as a failed example and try to avoid repeating the same mistakes then.

It's possible to convert any hydrocarbon to any other; the question is does it take more energy to do so than you get by burning the new hydrocarbon?

On the other hand, if this is meant to be a big code word for "Giant Incinerator," then people should really be careful. If certain plastics are not incinerated at high-enough temperature (which is expensive) they produce a significant quantity of dioxin as waste products.

:o

It's possible to convert any hydrocarbon to any other; the question is does it take more energy to do so than you get by burning the new hydrocarbon?

On the other hand, if this is meant to be a big code word for "Giant Incinerator," then people should really be careful. If certain plastics are not incinerated at high-enough temperature (which is expensive) they produce a significant quantity of dioxin as waste products.

:o

Yeah, that's why this is still a pilot project. "The Energy Ministry will support a pilot project to make fuel oil from recycled plastic waste."

Pilot project = activity planned as a test or trial (per a dictionary.) :D

Edited by ThaiGoon

-----------------------

We can use that project as a failed example and try to avoid repeating the same mistakes then.

You forgot to mention that falsified reports,bribed politicians and tax payers screwed never can be the case in a project in los.

I knew that saving those plastic bags from big c for the past 10 years would be to some use someday.

Regards,Sheik basjke

You forgot to mention that falsified reports,bribed politicians and tax payers screwed never can be the case in a project in los.

A good old dilemma for the Thai government: not doing or initiating anything, you are a know-nothing incompetent third-world gov't. Trying to do something, you get accused of taking a kickback from the project. And we wonder why sometimes good honest people don't wanna run for office and serve the country.

And we wonder why sometimes good honest people don't wanna run for office and serve the country.

grant you that one ,

and as an aside , have a look at the latest salaries for pollies in Singa's ........................ :o

Maybe it would be better to recycle plastic waste into new plastic product which would lessen the need for new petroleum for the production of plastics.

Or heres a brainstorm, stop giving away plastic bags with every single one baht purchase in Thailand. Straws are another huge waste along with serving drinks in plastic bags. Look at all the trash and rubbish piled up everywhere from the waste of plastic, its a disgrace! While its true the plastic bag was not invented in Thailand I have never seen it used so creatively nor wastefully.

Maybe it would be better to recycle plastic waste into new plastic product which would lessen the need for new petroleum for the production of plastics.

Or heres a brainstorm, stop giving away plastic bags with every single one baht purchase in Thailand. Straws are another huge waste along with serving drinks in plastic bags. Look at all the trash and rubbish piled up everywhere from the waste of plastic, its a disgrace! While its true the plastic bag was not invented in Thailand I have never seen it used so creatively nor wastefully.

True.

Which is why I always ask for no straw no bag, and explain why; and also spend time at the beach (when there is no wind) picking up plastic and glass then throwing away.

Cut off at the source is indeed better :-)

Biodegradable plastic = better

BUt anyway, waste to energy works; plenty of cogen, tip gas, bio gas, incinerator etc projects around the world to prove that; Siam City Cement/Holsom are doing some cool stuff in this area to earn carbon credits.

Yeah, that's why this is still a pilot project. "The Energy Ministry will support a pilot project to make fuel oil from recycled plastic waste."

Pilot project = activity planned as a test or trial (per a dictionary.) :o

Yes, but if you read the OP it says:

"The pilot recycling project is expected to cost Bt65 million and will produce fuel oil for about Bt11.50 a litre, or a wholesale price of Bt15.50 a litre. At these rates, the project will break even within five years."

In my experience pilot plants do not go through into production and are not expected to break even. Pilot plants are designed to prove the technology, check the energy balance, provide figures for emissions and prove the process economic viability. While it is true that some pilot plants go on to some form of production capacity they never actually break even due to the lack of capacity to take the benefits of scale.

The price of 65 million Baht looks a bit optimistic. That's around 1 million sterling and you don't get much process plant for one million these days bearing in mind much of the process technology will have to be imported.

Oh well it's a small step in the right direction provided it doesn't create a bigger problem, pollution, than it solves. It would be better to solve the problem at source, i.e. use less plastic bags, but that concept has only realised limited success in the west.

If anyone is interested the technology is already proven. An American company Changing World Technologies holds most of the patents on the technology. They have a plant online joint ventured with ConAgra Foods that converts Turkey guts to oil in about 8 hours as I recall. The process does even better with plastic waste. Old tires can also be used as feedstock. In fact any organic material including sewage and medical waste can be used as feedstock. Previous attempts such as the one mentioned by Pepe failed. This was largely due to the water. The technology employed by Changing World Technologies makes water part of the process. It will be interesting to see if the Thai government is seeking proposals from this company. If so it might work. Below are links to articles on the process including one in National Geographic.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20..._turkeyoil.html

http://www.changingworldtech.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changing_World_Technologies

If anyone is interested the technology is already proven. An American company Changing World Technologies holds most of the patents on the technology. They have a plant online joint ventured with ConAgra Foods that converts Turkey guts to oil in about 8 hours as I recall. The process does even better with plastic waste. Old tires can also be used as feedstock. In fact any organic material including sewage and medical waste can be used as feedstock. Previous attempts such as the one mentioned by Pepe failed. This was largely due to the water. The technology employed by Changing World Technologies makes water part of the process. It will be interesting to see if the Thai government is seeking proposals from this company. If so it might work. Below are links to articles on the process including one in National Geographic.

Thanks for the info CMAmerican. I hope the Thai gov't will be looking into the work of this company as well.

Yes it would be very prudent if the technology already exists and is proven to at least look into the feasibility and costs of such a plant. Unfortunately, as I said earlier, a million GBP don't buy much process plant and then the nationalistic card is played where the government pushes for a home grown solution. This approach, and many nations not just Thailand have gone this route, often leads to years of wasted research, failed pilot projects and millions down the pan.

One way this could be approached would be to sound out Changing World Technologies to see if they'd be interested in building a plant on a Build/Own/Operate basis where they build the plant, buy the feedstock (plastic), process it and then sell the product back at a profit. Ownership of the plant reverting to Thailand after an agreed period.

I read about this company, but there hasn't really been much new on it. I think if their process was as good as they claim it to be, there would be more plants going up. I haven't heard anything else on the plant in Missouri either nor has their website been updated in quite some time. I think that it is a great idea, but I'd want to see some solid numbers, from a real world scenario.