Covid19

djayz

I've been in BKK a few weeks now and want to return to the wife and boy upcountry. 

Although I have a dry cough, I feel fine otherwise and am showing absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. However, I'm contemplating having the Covid19 test done before returning home, just to be on the safe side, and was wondering which hospital I should go to in Bangkok. 

I know I have to pay for it, but really amn't in the mood to pay ridiculous sums of money for what in my honest opinion should be free of charge given the current situation. 

Any recommendations?

When going upcountry you will be stopped a number of times where they check your temperature. You can have the same done before your trip when going to i.e. Tesco or Thaiwatsadu. If it is oke there you will not have any problems ....

• Sad 3

We had it after our house guest tested positive upon arrival at his destination and we developed symptoms shortly after.  Fortunately a regular mild case but it gave us a good view into the state of preparation in Thailand.   Testing is unobtainable even in our case. Unless you have a moderate to severe case forget it.  We are on a 6 day wait list by which time the virus may be undetectable.  Most hospitals didnt want to touch us for an Xray or scan.  The only ones that would said they were overwhelmed and if we were ok just stay at home.  We were fortunate to manage to obtain some hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin through a contact.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I suggest to stay in BKK for 7 days since you said you have a dry cough which is one of the symptoms to watch for. As others have said if you test positive you'll be quarantined in a medical facility.

If you travel North the villagers will be wary of you and most likely you'll be interrogated by the village officials as I was recently. If you transmit covid-19 to anyone in the village you'd be in big trouble as well as putting lives at risk.

Best to be safe than sorry with that dry cough - stay in BKK and self isolate for 7 days. if all clear then travel North if possible. If symptoms persist get medical help.

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 2

I had mine done at the Phayathai 3 hospital after feeling some symptoms of the virus on day 6 of my self isolation (returned from Holland). I was told the result would be known in 5 - 7 days. The government paid 4400- for the test (do not know the calculations. BTW I am resident) & I had to pay 6500- for chest xray, medicines, etc. Altogether it took me about 2 1/2 hrs there.

They told me that there are too many testing for covid so they only test those who have come from the usual 4 countries (China, Korea, Iran, Italy) or high risk countries (Netherlands, Norway, etc...) or have been in contact with someone who tested positive.

I've been in self-isolation pretty much the whole time since Monday, 16th March. I feel fine. I've decided next Monday or Tuesday I'm heading home. If I can, I'll go to a hospital first for a check up, but if there are 6-7 day waiting queues, then forget it. 

Thanks for the replies and advice. 

• Like 1