is Thailand aiming for 'Herd Immunity'?

Samui Bodoh

Someone I know died of coronavirus + bacterial infection last night here in Thailand.... Not on news yet. He had been in ITC for 10 days now. Man this is getting serious. He did work on a nightclub. I don’t wanna mention the name due to defamation laws but it’s not the thonglor one. This means this virus is more spreading than we think. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

This new "Italian" strain, has been identified by who exactly ?? 

As I recall from the article the Italian strain, if that's what we going to call it here, is the one that is ravaging throughout Europe at present, exactly where the mutation occurred is not clear but it it is certainly very clear from the numbers it is not the same one that hit Thailand in the early days. I'll try and dig out the article and post it.

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Common sense tells us that Thailand has long been hiding the biggest outbreak in the region.

As a technique, herd immunity only has benefits if, during the first wave, you focus your resources on completely isolating the vulnerable. The idea is to stop it getting to the groups who, if they get sick, will rapidly overwhelm the medical service. The vast majority of people under 60 can catch it and simply have a rough week or two at home.

Once a significant portion of the younger, healthier population have gained immunity, it becomes far harder for the virus to spread, making the second wave far less powerful, and meaning you do not have to isolate the vulnerable quite as much.

If the UK with all of its facilities and tools was unable to prevent the spread of the virus, how exactly did Thailand manage to hide and prevent it for so long?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am wondering if Thailand has decided, consciously or unconsciously, that it will follow the 'Herd Immunity' approach in dealing with Corvid-19. 

If you're talking about corvid-19, it's probably bird immunity - at least among the crow population.

I THINK THAT WHAT we are seeing with thailand and other asian countries like s. korea

and singapore, is really interesting, even mystical.

you see, by scientific thinking, thailand had to be hit hard allready, with thousands of dead

and tens of thousands of sick people filling the hospitals. that's because thailand never closed it's

borders to china and there are so many chinese and other nationals visiting thailand.

one explanation can be that this virus does not like tropical weather, but still, it does not make sense,

because in s. korea it is very cold not, and still we don't see the italian nightmare there.

very very interesting. maybe this virus is god sent to punish only some nations?

and as for your wonder weather thailand chose it, i think the answer is not. 

i think that thailand just can't afford measures like total decree, or mass checking

of the population. simply can't afford it, because of social and economic reasons.

anyway now it is too late, according to "sceintific " thinking (because thailnad

had to look like italy now, if thinking "rationally").

let's all hope and pray thay thailand will stay away from this virus.

GOD BLESS THAILAND !!

Looking at the uptick of cases in Thailand from 28 January to 12 March, a period of over 6 weeks, the numbers went from 0 to about 75.

By contrast, the UK's first case was found on 28 February and from there they grew to over 6.650 by 23 March, less than 4 weeks.

Thailand couldn't possibly have hidden a similar rate of spread, we would all have seen or heard about incidents locally and we didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I THINK THAT WHAT we are seeing with thailand and other asian countries like s. korea

and singapore, is really interesting, even mystical.

you see, by scientific thinking, thailand had to be hit hard allready, with thousands of dead

and tens of thousands of sick people filling the hospitals. that's because thailand never closed it's

borders to china and there are so many chinese and other nationals visiting thailand.

one explanation can be that this virus does not like tropical weather, but still, it does not make sense,

because in s. korea it is very cold not, and still we don't see the italian nightmare there.

very very interesting. maybe this virus is god sent to punish only some nations?

and as for your wonder weather thailand chose it, i think the answer is not. 

i think that thailand just can't afford measures like total decree, or mass checking

of the population. simply can't afford it, because of social and economic reasons.

anyway now it is too late, according to "sceintific " thinking (because thailnad

had to look like italy now, if thinking "rationally").

let's all hope and pray thay thailand will stay away from this virus.

GOD BLESS THAILAND !!

the latitude theory has been in play for a while now, as far as i'm aware there is no direct evidence it exists but anecdotally there may be something in it.

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

Thailand couldn't possibly have hidden a similar rate of spread, we would all have seen or heard about incidents locally and we didn't.

We did. Seriously, search this forum for "pneumonia", you'll soon find the official figures. There is nothing subtle about this coverup.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, donnacha said:

We did. Seriously, search this forum for "pneumonia", you'll soon find the official figures. There is nothing subtle about this coverup.

I don't believe this, I subscribe to and the evidence supports a mutation. Further confirmation of this is found here: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

Edited by saengd

Herd immunity might be a good idea scientifically, but it doesn't seem to apply with COVID-19, which 'cured' people have gotten again, according to reports. I see the whole herd immunity support being based on cluelessness and helplessness to know what to do. It's an excuse to do nothing. It's also a very convenient way to get rid of an expensive segment of the population, the old people who require more medical resources (expensive).

1 minute ago, saengd said:

I don't believe this, I subscribe to and the evidence supports a mutation.

Okay, let's see.

My bet is that after this government falls and the reporting restrictions are lifted, one of the most bitter grievances to emerge will be that thousands of Thais were sent home to die, all to protect the tourist industry.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

It's an excuse to do nothing. It's also a very convenient way to get rid of an expensive segment of the population, the old people who require more medical resources (expensive).

Do you really think any politician would deliberately wipe out the segment of the population that reliably votes for his party?

6 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Okay, let's see.

My bet is that after this government falls and the reporting restrictions are lifted, one of the most bitter grievances to emerge will be that thousands of Thais were sent home to die, all to protect the tourist industry.

I think you just over complicated the analysis unnecessarily by trying to justify a conspiracy theory and that's unhelpful. I think you have to look at the problem from a numerical viewpoint rather than anything to do with politics or motivations,.

23 minutes ago, saengd said:

Looking at the uptick of cases in Thailand from 28 January to 12 March, a period of over 6 weeks, the numbers went from 0 to about 75.

By contrast, the UK's first case was found on 28 February and from there they grew to over 6.650 by 23 March, less than 4 weeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom

thailand simply does not have the resources to check so many people like the uk.

some time ago a thai official say that thailand has now 10,000 sets for corona checks, but

it keeps most of them for the medical and essential stuff.

now even if thailand had the money to buy millions of corona checks, it will be very

hard to find any on the market. there is a real battle for medical equipment, all over the world,

and as usual the rich and strong countries are getting the most. 

that is why, considering all thailand's  poor conditions,  it is amazing

to see the corona low numbers in thailand.

i think god is protecting thailand.

let's hope and pray it will stay quiet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Herd Immunity

Seems to be the only option for many countries who don't have enough beds in ICU.

It becomes more and more clear what a stunning job china has done in wuhan (i still don't believe the numbers). But they stopped spreading it to most other provinces. And now it's under control.