Coronavirus: Brit couple fear they'll be trapped in Thailand for months as flights axed

webfact

8 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I did not fly to Britain weeks ago ,i was afraid i would not get back home to Thailand ,what they complaining about ,better here than there,????

I wod say far better in the UK than Thailand but what do I know I only lived in Thailand for 10 years and been back in the UK a year and loving it. However if i was only coming to the UK or Thailand for a holiday/business stay home. Just remember Thailand kept its borders and flights from China open so expect it to be a very bumpy ride in Thailand so stay safe. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Absolutely correct... Anyone who has traveled for pure leisure reasons within the past couple weeks needs therapy...

There have been enough warning signs so they only have themselves to blame !!

Grab a cheap bungalow folks and settle in for the ride ???? 

But, we were told it was a hoax.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

If all they have is 100 quid to their name then they shouldn't be traveling at all! 

Help is at hand @ go fund me .

I support go Fo ...

12 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

If you bury your face in Britains Got Talent and Eastenders etc and just assume there is a competent higher power looking after your interests at all times....you are sorely mistaken

What about Coronavirus Street? 

Edited by lamyai3
Chorley's just oop the road, luv

9 hours ago, Prince77 said:

status today: airlines still flying out of Bangkok - Lufthansa, Eurowings, Swiss, Thai Airways, Air France, KLM, Finnair, Qatar Airways, EVA Air und Norwegian.

Thai will suspend all flights to Europe from 1st of April.

Good luck to all - just changed my flight on QR from 2nd. of April to be on 28th of March to be sure.

Not for long. Swiss are suspending nearly all of their long haul routes - including BKK. Last flight back to Zurich leaves Swampy on 29th March

5 hours ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Poor things. They look so concerned. Should we be expecting some Go Fund Me to pay for their expenses and terrible time they are going thru?

If the airline and holiday insurance company allowed them to travel out, and didn't arrange a flight back, there shouldn't be any question about the funding.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I wod say far better in the UK than Thailand but what do I know I only lived in Thailand for 10 years and been back in the UK a year and loving it. However if i was only coming to the UK or Thailand for a holiday/business stay home. Just remember Thailand kept its borders and flights from China open so expect it to be a very bumpy ride in Thailand so stay safe. 

Glad your loving it back in the UK, I only know that when i am back there every year ,after a few weeks i just want to come home . as i said before ,home is where the heart is. you stay safe too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

This is entirely their own fault.  There have been lots of warnings for weeks telling people not to travel.

Might be more the fault of an unprecedented and invisible threat that was able to bring the world to its knees (to its crown).

If I would have followed all of those 'travel advisories' that I have seen through the years, I would not even have seen NYC.

Well i was meant to go to the UK in May, and was about to book my ticket in January when the Wuhan lockdown began. A quick look at the available virus statistics told me i wouldn't be flying anywhere by April, so i never booked.

By early February i had stocked up on sanitiser and some food, and told my son to do so in the UK (which he did, and was grateful that he followed my advice).

My Thai sister-in-law was coming on holiday in February, i advised her coming was not an issue, but getting back would be by March. Her partner returned on the 29th February, but she wanted to stay another 2 weeks. Her return flight was cancelled 2 days before she was meant to leave. She is still here.

To be fair, if you had already booked your tickets most people would take the risk rather than cancel and lose the money, i can understand that.

So far the pandemic has developed pretty much as predicted. Just surprised at the countries doing lockdowns, I didn't think the western countries would have the balls to do that - their complacency and failure to plan for the pandemic, meant they had planned to fail (look at USA). Air travel should have been severely curtailed in February - if it had, the virus wouldn't have spread so quickly, and health authorities could have geared up for it. Then the lockdowns might have been avoided (Korea and Singapore have managed to contain it).

Leave it too late and the choice is kill a good proportion of your elderly population or destroy your economy. This decade ahead is going to be grim, probably worst recession in a century.