Australian Confused about the 30 day visa extension on Tourist Visa during Covid Times

Hi,

We have a multiple entry tourist visa (6 months from Jan to July), which allows us to stay periods of 60 day.

The last time we entered Thailand was not so long ago, and we have 60 days from that day to stay (until May 10).

Before Covid19, our plan was to extend this for 30 more days (so, until June 10).

Now, we keep hearing about the need for a letter from the embassy to be able to extend visa for 30 days. But we are not sure if this is for those who have already extended and need to get an extra extension or if this applies to us as well. Our case is not a Covid extension ,but maybe this applies to everyone now. We are confused. If we go to the immigration office to get an extension (the normal 30 day extension after a 60 day period), will they ask us for a letter or will they just renew it?

And, is it better to do this in advance or should we wait until the date is close to ask for this extension?

If you know anything that can help us clarify this we would really appreciate?

21 minutes ago, BenF said:

If we go to the immigration office to get an extension (the normal 30 day extension after a 60 day period), will they ask us for a letter or will they just renew it?

What Immigration Office will you visit?

1 minute ago, jimmjam said:

They havent changed, the letter is only for when u have used all your other extensions and cant leave the country.

thanks Jim,at last some concrete info.im still waiting for letter.they said 2 days but that was Monday

Thanks everyone.

Just some follow-up feedback: i have just been to the Krabi immigration. Just 5 people in front of me so very quick. Yes, the first extension is still normal, with just payment and paperwork. if we need to then extend it again, that's when we need a letter from the Embassy.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I am from uk and my tourist visa runs out may7 so I plan on staying here until then and hope that some flights become available after the lockdown .If not I will get 30 day extension until June ,when I expect the situation to improve 

If I try and leave now I haven’t got the funds to pay for my flights home so best to stay here

Hi,

I'm from NZ and they make no mention of offering a letter to me. I emailed the embassy here over a week ago now about returning to NZ with my wife who is neither Thai or a NZer.

I'm still waiting for a response. I also emailed NZ Immigration about the same matter but no response from them either. Perhaps they all went home do you think?

Our 30 day visa extension expires on 13th April so it's getting a bit too near.