Thai police ask people to carry ID with them when travelling

webfact

22 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If you're in Thailand, I wonder if immigration accepts your driver's license when crossing the border, doing visas, etc.

and your expecting to leave and return by a land border if you do not meet the criteria.......say its not so

26 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

and your expecting to leave and return by a land border if you do not meet the criteria.......say its not so

I have PR so I don't have to, but I can imagine many people would be in hot water now that borders are closing/or are already closed, their visas/extensions of stay are expiring, and due to irresponsible behaviour of many in this country, inevitable total lockdown will close the immigration offices and by that any chances of extensions as well. I do believe Thailand would waive overstay fines, but what trouble will those whose visas/extensions/work permits expire within the next weeks have once this is all over and they are basically in country or working illegally? I think interesting times await. Especially for long term expats.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I have PR so I don't have to, but I can imagine many people would be in hot water now that borders are closing/or are already closed, their visas/extensions of stay are expiring, and due to irresponsible behaviour of many in this country, inevitable total lockdown will close the immigration offices and by that any chances of extensions as well. I do believe Thailand would waive overstay fines, but what trouble will those whose visas/extensions/work permits expire within the next weeks have once this is all over and they are basically in country or working illegally? I think interesting times await. Especially for long term expats.

Does having PR make you a Thai National.....?  I do not believe so, I think that maybe your in the same boat, but then I might be wrong, i do not believe that PR is Citizenship

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Does having PR make you a Thai National.....?  I do not believe so, I think that maybe your in the same boat, but then I might be wrong, i do not believe that PR is Citizenship

It does not. But at least there's no need for 90 days reporting, extending the stay, reporting address, etc. So unless I wanted to leave Thailand for a trip, I don't have any need to visit immigration. That is not so for non PR holders, who would still need to deal with immigration on regular basis, either for reporting or for extensions of stay. Maybe after this is all over, Thailand might consider digitising all of this. If they could get SIMs to all travelers to track them around the Kingdom, they could surely give an app to do this digitally rather than sending papers around or in person.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

Resistance is a commodity reserved for those entitled to the consequences. Best wishes.

So your saying resistance is futile you must join the hive mind of the borg?.....

Unless I am going to the airport or immigration my passport stays at home 100% of the time and this will not change ....No laws or regulations will change this ever......And any one with half a brain should do the same....

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you have symptoms of cough and sneezing then obviously you need to wear a mask

Whilst a mask give some small protection against inhaling the virus wearing a mask avoids you subconsciously touching your mouth or nose. Its estimated the average person touches their face 23 times per hour. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

It does not. But at least there's no need for 90 days reporting, extending the stay, reporting address, etc. So unless I wanted to leave Thailand for a trip, I don't have any need to visit immigration. That is not so for non PR holders, who would still need to deal with immigration on regular basis, either for reporting or for extensions of stay. Maybe after this is all over, Thailand might consider digitising all of this. If they could get SIMs to all travelers to track them around the Kingdom, they could surely give an app to do this digitally rather than sending papers around or in person.

Thanks for the clarification, and I believe you are right, the mountains of paperwork we long term stayers create is such a waste of space and time. However, we keep immigration employed apparently, just think of how few would be needed if this was streamlined.  Yes every 90 days I have to do my report either in person or online providing the system is operational when I use the app.  Then once a year I need to leave and bounce only to return and reactivate a second year on my Non Imm O-A, every two years a trip to the US to visit the kids and their families, and a new O-A Application at the Los Angeles Consulate, unless I want to do an extension here and then use a re-entry permit if I leave.  With the current situation, I started moving money over to my account here to meet the 800,000 Baht amount wanted, because I do not trust that the 65,000 baht a month transfer/bank statement wont be denied, even though its allowed.

Enjoy yourself and take it easy, be safe during these crazy times.....

17 hours ago, MaiDong said:

I sometimes wore a mask, sometimes not, but something I read in another thread made me realise why it's important - if you've got COVID-19, but you don't show any symptoms, and may never show symptoms if you're luckily resistant to it, then not wearing a mask can/will spread the virus all over the shop, it's not a pain to wear one either.

I go on walks now and then, last week I walked about 12km in midday BKK heat, it was a silly thing to do, but I also when out without a mask on. Thais were actively avoiding me, usually with a grimace.

A few days ago I went out for the same walk, at the same silly time, but this time with a mask on, this time there was no avoiding action.

And it's got nothing to do with the state of my looks TYVM.

After walking 12km in this heat and sweating ,do you think it was not the fact you did not have a mask on people avoided you maybe the     odour????? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, garzhe said:

Whilst a mask give some small protection against inhaling the virus wearing a mask avoids you subconsciously touching your mouth or nose. Its estimated the average person touches their face 23 times per hour. 

just try your best to not pick your nose and lick your fingers, not difficult for many of us

• Haha 2

Response to this;

the skins surface can elevate by 5 to 6 degrees Celsius when exposed to direct sunlight. Also the skin's temperature can go up to 40 degrees Celsius when the surrounding temperature exceeds 28 degrees Celsius so outdoor screening doesn't

They make you wait 15 mins and check again... if you are above the normal temp then you carted of to the quarantine camp!!!!

Smedley, they shud provide them,,,,, this is not a nanny state, you have to think for yourself.

The headline says it all ,,is it not law to carry some form of identification on you at all times ?

And yes, a current Thai drivers licence is sufficient for the road blocks (why woud you be travelling anyway) but if travelling out of your province a passport should be taken

Surely one shouldn’t insert an ear thermometer in a person’s ear one person after another without disinfecting the tip first? The nurse in the video is not practicing good hygiene. Scary. This is how infections are spread. 

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's common sense to wear a face mask outdoors under present conditions anywhere where there are people. I don't see a necessity to wear one inside a car with all the windows up.

Given the number of DL's, ID cards and passports handled by a single policeman in a day, I'm more concerned about them infecting me.

It's common sense to wear a face mask outdoors under present conditions anywhere where there are people.

noooo... wrong. you need to stop getting your information from the local media, the virus is not flying around in the air. according to the WHO and many westren public health departments infection is far more likely to occur from hand to face transmission, often via the eyes. this is why the WHO does not recommend wearing a mask but does recommend washing hands often and for at least 20 seconds - something i have seen hardly any locals doing...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

So your saying resistance is futile you must join the hive mind of the borg?.....

Unless I am going to the airport or immigration my passport stays at home 100% of the time and this will not change ....No laws or regulations will change this ever......And any one with half a brain should do the same....

Many posters on here with half a brain. Agree totally.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Generally my passport stays either above the sun visor of the car or in the glovebox. I have full control of my faculties and do not envision it getting misplaced or stolen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

It's common sense to wear a face mask outdoors under present conditions anywhere where there are people.

noooo... wrong. you need to stop getting your information from the local media, the virus is not flying around in the air. according to the WHO and many westren public health departments infection is far more likely to occur from hand to face transmission, often via the eyes. this is why the WHO does not recommend wearing a mask but does recommend washing hands often and for at least 20 seconds - something i have seen hardly any locals doing...

The virus has to get on your hands in the first place. Do you think your hands are self generating the virus?So I can cough and spit over your hands without a mask and you will be happy? 20 second hand wash and all good. Or I can wear a mask and NOT cough and spit all over your hands?

Quite apart from this virus there is also the normal flu and common cold to consider. They didn't magically go away.

Wear a mask. End of.

Edited by emptypockets

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Generally my passport stays either above the sun visor of the car or in the glovebox. I have full control of my faculties and do not envision it getting misplaced or stolen.

Sun Visor glovebox.....lol..........You will one day be envisioning how to get a replacement...

6 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Sun Visor glovebox.....lol..........You will one day be envisioning how to get a replacement...

Why? If I was a burglar the first place I would go to is the (inadequate) safe in a house or condo, where a lot of people keep their passports. Car is as good a place as any.

Getting a new passport isn't hard.

Jeez this forum was originally based on, amongst other things, visa runners ' losing ' passports when convenient.

It's only now that it's evolved into an old farts expat forum that the paranoia has set in.

The real world hasn't changed. The forum has.

Edited by emptypockets

4 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Why? If I was a burglar the first place I would go to is the (inadequate) safe in a house or condo, where a lot of people keep their passports. Car is as good a place as any.

Getting a new passport isn't hard.

Jeez this forum was originally based on, amongst other things, visa runners ' losing ' passports when convenient.

It's only now that it's evolved into an old farts expat forum that the paranoia has set in.

The real world hasn't changed. The forum has.

If you feel the forum is to much of a whiners platform, then why not just move along and stay on topic if you stay. Don't feed the bears as it seems to wind you up. The issue at hand is that Thai law says you must carry your passport, and many people have either taken that to mean, a copy of the pertinent pages, or a digital copy on their phones in order to keep from loosing the passport which has their permission to stay inside which may be just a visa or their extension.  Loosing the original creates an entire headache for folks and other problems.  The Thai Police want to be able to identify you during this Government imposed decree, and as my former BIL who is a Police Lt. Colonel has explained to me, it is to see and identify who you are in addition to document where you may be traveling if going outside of the province.  He indicated they are trying to stay 1 step ahead of possible troublemakers, thieves, and also be able to ensure a true need to travel.  So carry your Identification with you.  I carry a copy of the passport digitally on my phone and my Pink Non-Thai Identification card in case I am ever stopped. 

9 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

After walking 12km in this heat and sweating ,do you think it was not the fact you did not have a mask on people avoided you maybe the     odour????? 

No, I permanently smell of fresh roses ????

On 3/26/2020 at 5:41 AM, BritManToo said:

My passport stays in my home.

Can you imagine the trouble trying to get a replacement passport/VISA at this point in time, if it were stolen/damaged/lost?

PS: How are they screening people wearing full face m/c helmets?

Just wondering you understand.

Yep.  I would be more than happy to produce a color photocopy of the name page, and even any and all visa stamp pages.  But Passport stays locked up.  Easy to photo each page these days and store on the phone if can't get to a printer.

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Started carrying my pp last week, first time in 18 yrs. I do not want to be coerced into a vehicle and driven to my residence due to a misunderstanding of the legitimacy of a photo copy or phone pic for these times are unlike any other and I stand out like a flashing beacon on these tourist empty streets.. 

A legitimate approach even though I hate carrying it around.  But with a good waist belt or money belt, a small but secure "fanny pack" tucked under one's shirt it should be safe enough. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, garzhe said:

They all say this, but I think in practice it may increase it. The masks are hot and uncomfortable to wear, tend to require frequent adjustment, make the face itch etc. 

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

just try your best to not pick your nose and lick your fingers, not difficult for many of us

Or else use the local approach of having a designated finger (usually the pinky), grow the nail long, and reserve this finger for nasal evacuation only.