Thais in Pattaya concerned by foreigners not wearing face masks

rooster59

8 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

what do respect about thais. The fact that they blame everyone except themselves ? Their lack of education and common sense ? Their belief in amulets rather than safety ? Their belief that the laws of the road, and others, only apply to others ? Their belief that wearing a mask, while riding the wrong  way down a road, with no licence , insurance , tax, , 4 people to a bike, and then blame the farang when they have an accident ? Belief that it is the right if thais only, to wear a mask if they wish, but not for farangs to do so ? Their Belief that it is always the farangs fault, never theirs ? Would be good if you would tell us exactly what it is you respect in Thais ?

Bravo, Well said!????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

what do respect about thais. The fact that they blame everyone except themselves ? Their lack of education and common sense ? Their belief in amulets rather than safety ? Their belief that the laws of the road, and others, only apply to others ? Their belief that wearing a mask, while riding the wrong  way down a road, with no licence , insurance , tax, , 4 people to a bike, and then blame the farang when they have an accident ? Belief that it is the right if thais only, to wear a mask if they wish, but not for farangs to do so ? Their Belief that it is always the farangs fault, never theirs ? Would be good if you would tell us exactly what it is you respect in Thais ?

I agree totally but i can understand that they are scared for farang without masks these days. I don't understand why forummembers are not allowed to post links about where to buy good masks (not those cheap things) for a good price....

And yes i also see plenty thai without masks around me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

No I understand why some Thais have this zealotry for masks, they are being whipped into a frenzy by media that tells them the  farangs are not wearing masks and putting you in danger.

So this is basically incited by the media.

Ignorance is bliss!

32 minutes ago, transam said:

Wonder if LOS folk knew about LOS Hepatitis warnings, they would want to wear a mask for that too....????

That was first thing I did BEFORE a came Pattaya 11 years ago ….Triple vaccination with a few weeks in between with Twinrix vaccine , good for life time ….. yes dirty farangs we are (they claim..)….?, but at least we take the right protection , not the masquerade solutions to ease the mind … Thai style

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Now I understand why some Thais have this zealotry for masks, they are being whipped into a frenzy by media that tells them the  farangs are not wearing masks and putting you in danger.

So this is basically incited by the media.

Well just have a look which countries have the most infected persons, they are all Westerners....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Well just have a look which countries have the most infected persons, they are all Westerners....

Yes AFTER China first , and probably more testing and count them ,Thai  Tourist office can always count soooo many tourist , but Covit 19 not apparently ….

But of course Thai wearing amulet ….. and we farang not ...I guess … or maybe the few on order from Thai wifey …?  55555

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Is'nt that for 10 or more smokers riding in the back of a pick up?

only if  overtaking on a  blind  bend on the wrong side of the road  whilst  having a microsleep  and brake failure on a  slippery  road.............think that covers it?

• Like 1

I do wear a mask when I will come into contact with others.  This is despite the fact that they are useless against the virus.  If the Thais want me to wear a face mask 24 hours a day then, NO!

Who is right WHO or Thai's?

"If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

• Like 1

A friend made a good and valid point against the 'mask protects others from you, and not the other way around' and 'no need to wear a mask if you're healthy' arguments. We all know that some lucky fellows can get infected with the Covid-19 virus and will not show any symptoms at all, while some may have a flu/fever/cough before the body's immune system kicks in and gets rid of it. Others may take a few days - up to 14 - before symptoms develop. Fact is, even if you do not have any symptoms i.e. feeling healthy and well despite being infected, you will already be spreading the virus to others around you. So why don't I do everyone else a favour, wear a mask and just get on with it? Ok, fair point.

To me, the bigger issue is, while Thais get free masks and all, the rest are left to fight it out or pay exorbitant prices for a single piece. If they are at all available. It is not that we do not want to help. We are not rebelling without a cause and we are certainly not trying to be difficult. The fact of the matter is, they make it difficult for us to comply, then turn around and blame us for non-compliance.

10 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Yes, now! After the Asians gave it to the West. This virus was a gift from Asia to the world, not from the West. The West is one of the victims that was infected.

The first patients zero in Italy were Chinese tourists, were they not? The  German patient zero was infected by a Chinese co-worker was he not?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Yes, now! After the Asians gave it to the West. This virus was a gift from Asia to the world, not from the West. The West is one of the victims that was infected.

The first patients zero in Italy were Chinese tourists, were they not? The  German patient zero was infected by a Chinese co-worker was he not?

Yes that was until recently, now it's the westerners who you have to avoid, especially ones who just arrived from the West...so it's not strange they fear farang without masks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

Who is right WHO or Thai's?

"If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

"Who is right WHO or Thai's?"

The big majority from Thai probably does not even know the WHO …..so …..what to expect from them else  

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

I have 2 that I managed to scrounge - I know Thais have boxes of them and are reluctant to give them to foreigners - their primary customers and then they complain about foreigners not wearing them - idiots 

My wife purchased a couple of machine washable (or so they said) masks for 60 bhat each which struck me as opportunistic. I have a paper one in my car which offers no defence whatsoever except to look good on the seldom occasions that I venture out shopping etc.

A friend recently pointed out the irony on FB when he saw police waving motorcyclists on that were wearing masks.... yet weren't wearing helmets! ????

"TiT????

Edited by evadgib
  • Thanks 1

If everyone wears one and washes their hands and practices social distancing then you massively cut down the rate of infection. Even a bad mask reduces the sputum aerosol massively and thus a route for community infection. So they protect the community collectively rather than necessarily the user. They would need an airtight FPP3 mask to do that. Plus they stop some random Somchai having a pop at you and at least for that reason alone are worth wearing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

We ARE talking about now right? The complaint about foreigners without masks in Pattaya today or yesterday...it ain't that hard.

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Rubbish again, Australia has less the 4000 infections, 80% imported from travelers and cruise

ships and the infection rate decreased from 25 to 15 percent and nobody wears a mask

apart from Asian people.

Not to mention only 16 deaths, ages of each as follows:

78, 73, 68, 75, 95, 82, 90, 91, 70+ (exact age not given), 86, 81, 77, 3 x 70+ (exact ages not given) and 36 (died in Iceland, probably from the cold).

40% over 80

20% over 90

Only one person under 70 at 68.

I ignored the 36 year old who died in Iceland. Maybe he froze to death.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Just now, david555 said:

Then make them available easy to buy so we who don't mind to wear them , no pharmacy I look for them has them for sale , and those would be the places to get them in trust , not those sintreses fabrics  that is just profiting this pandemic 

Yes i agree, but as i wrote before if a member posts a link where one can buy them online for a low price he 'll get banned so i won't post the link of my friend but i did put an order there for 100 N95 masks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I find so many post here really sad, having made the decision to live in Thailand, often marrying Thai, having children who are Thai, how can so much vitriol pour forth from so many?

Yes there are big problems about the differences, but are they solved by spewing vitriol?

Yes masks are very much a divide here, but surely we can all find acceptable solutions to our own problem.

We are all in this together, we all realised we are "the other" since arriving, surely we can work throuh this together and individually to emerge better at the end ?

Remember that approx 95% of people who become infected will recovery. We have had the benefit of education , money an previledge, but many seem to have lost empathy.

It is the government, not the idividual Thai anger should be aimed at.

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

If everyone wears one and washes their hands and practices social distancing then you massively cut down the rate of infection. Even a bad mask reduces the sputum aerosol massively and thus a route for community infection. So they protect the community collectively rather than necessarily the user. They would need an airtight FPP3 mask to do that. Plus they stop some random Somchai having a pop at you and at least for that reason alone are worth wearing. 

I sneezed into my mask earlier whilst sitting at my laptop... had to grab some poo tickets to wipe the spray off my laptop screen.

Masks work great !!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Their diversity? The fact that they welcome us in without question despite the fact that we refuse to even consider their culture but constantly snipe at it because its not like ours?

• Like 1