Two weeks overstay, is extension possible at all?

So, this is obviously not ME, but an older couple from France staying with family here are now on overstay since the 17th of March...

They both should have 30 days visa exempt + 1 ordinary extension.

Would it even be safe and/or possible to approach immigration to solve this now?

This is Nonthaburi, any tip on agents who could deal with it is also apprechiated ????

Just now, GordyS said:

Not sure it would be wise to go to immigration, they don't have a good track record being sympathetic, even in the current climate.

Probably best laying low til something comes out of immigration re amnesty, or just paying the overstay when they leave

Yep, advised them to first get their thai friend to approach immigration somehow...

If even that is unsafe, an agent or lying low until leaving  might be the only options?

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The should get a letter from their embassy as the first step.

Then go to immigration with enough baht in cash to pay the 500 baht per day overstay fine and try to apply for the special extension.

I think immigration should be very flexible since the special extension did not start until the 18th or so and was never formally announced.

Thanks! ????

Would you say it could help getting someone to do this for them? Or is it better that they get help to get all papers 100% as they should, and then do it in person...

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not good advice. If they were caught with the overstay the could be detained and deported.

As I wrote I am sure immigration will be flexible. They are not near as bad as you think.

I've had that thought sometimes, when taking into consideration all the super-entitled, brash westerners they have to handle, then meeting someone genuinely apologetic with all papers in order might be a relief even... ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EbhB said:

Would you say it could help getting someone to do this for them? Or is it better that they get help to get all papers 100% as they should, and then do it in person...

Not sure who could do it for them. Most agents would not want to deal with it. Not sure there are any agents available in Nonthaburi.

Best to just go to immigration with the embassy letter, money to pay the fine and 1900 baht for the fee.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EbhB said:

Thanks! ????

IMO, it's better to go there in person. Of course well dressed and well mannered.

A wai to say sorry, perhaps one had some health issues and couldn't leave the house?

• Like 2

I've got until the 4th of May, AND also has a booking on Qatar going back then worst case...

But almost anything can change until then, so if there was any way at all on getting onto another 90 day period I'd do it - was close to doing a border run before everything closed down.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

How could they be deported at the moment and to where ?

They would be detained until an available flight possibly 3-4 months,not worth the risk as ubonjoe says they'll cop the fine and a few extra stamps in the passport and carry on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samisaurus said:

100%. Is it true there's a cabinet meeting regarding immigration stuff today? Is that correct, because if so hopefully today is "common sense day"! 

Yep, that is right - it will most likely be dealt with during todays meeting ????

16 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

Yup, debating doing this till borders open up again and not having to go in at 5am w/ hundreds of others at the moment. Just out of curiosity... if I leave before 90 days , would i be allowed to enter the kingdom again in let's say 3 months? 

I've never had overstay fine or anything, that's why I ask. Usually i do 3 months in BKK, then 3 months in KL or HCMC. 

Well, the REAL question is if doing a lot of travel as we want will even be feasible in the future?

Will the different medical checks, mandatory insurance AND visa restrictions kill off most freedom?

One thing is for sure as I see it: the world will never "go back to the normal" again...

Some things might even change for the better, and if so it will be here - NOT in the West

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denim said:

How could they be deported at the moment and to where ?

I don't know but it could mean being in the IDC until a flight was available to their home country.

My post was meant to be a general warning since many people may not be aware of the new rules that have been in effect for 4 years now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know but it could mean being in the IDC until a flight was available to their home country.

My post was meant to be a general warning since many people may not be aware of the new rules that have been in effect for 4 years now.

Cant you still just pay at the airport when leaving?

3 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Cant you still just pay at the airport when leaving?

Yes if not caught with the overstay before getting to the airport. 

if more than 90 days it would be a one year ban from entering the country at the airport.

• Thanks 1

In times where the Immigration and cops seem to visit foreigners in particular provinces, in that case in Surin/ Isaan, it appears to be a suicide mission to let an overstay happen.

One older man in Surin had the Immigration and cops at his place three times now in only a few weeks.

• Sad 1

If they're going to immigration, they must get the embassy letter else it's a waste of time.

Posted elsewhere, but at Chonburi immigration yesterday and Iranian man was there to pay 12 days overstay, but seemingly didn't want an extension. They brushed him off and told him to pay at the airport.

Regarding lockup in the IDC, there are going to be lots of foreigners on overstay judging by the number of 'only 7 days' comments I heard at immigration as people were leaving. If there's a campaign to round them up, they're going to need a bigger IDC. Not saying that's worth the risk, but there will be complications with that strategy. Immigration does seem to have an affinity for complications though.

2 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Posted elsewhere, but at Chonburi immigration yesterday and Iranian man was there to pay 12 days overstay, but seemingly didn't want an extension. They brushed him off and told him to pay at the airport.

A overstay cannot be paid for unless you qualify for an extension. In this case it would of been enough to have the letter.

4 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Regarding lockup in the IDC, there are going to be lots of foreigners on overstay judging by the number of 'only 7 days' comments I heard at immigration as people were leaving. If there's a campaign to round them up, they're going to need a bigger IDC. Not saying that's worth the risk, but there will be complications with that strategy. Immigration does seem to have an affinity for complications though.

The 7 days was a temporary measure to give people time to get a embassy letter.

I don't think there will be big roundup of overstayers. I think immigration has more important things on their mind at this time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A overstay cannot be paid for unless you qualify for an extension. In this case it would of been enough to have the letter.

The 7 days was a temporary measure to give people time to get a embassy letter.

I don't think there will be big roundup of overstayers. I think immigration has more important things on their mind at this time.

Yep, but that is for NOW... What happens if this drags out 1-2 years world-wide?

Interesting times for sure... Personally I'm planning to follow developments here for a couple of weeks and then really getting into finding a solution, fully expecting about anything...

Just now, Toany said:

Go to Immigration and say that you had Covid 19 symptoms and you did not feel well enough to go to immigration.  cough on them a few times and ask them what they would like you to do.

Hehehe... Best suggestion ever! ????

This might even be the reality for quite some number of people...

• Like 1