Two weeks overstay, is extension possible at all?

59 minutes ago, EbhB said:

Yep, but that is for NOW... What happens if this drags out 1-2 years world-wide?

That would be a very extreme thing to think that could happen. There should be a vaccine for it within a year and some better treatment meds sooner than that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GordyS said:

Not sure it would be wise to go to immigration, they don't have a good track record being sympathetic, even in the current climate.

Probably best laying low til something comes out of immigration re amnesty, or just paying the overstay when they leave

Going to immigration or leaving are the only sensible options. Getting caught on overstay is the worst thing that could happen.

As they qualify for an extension immigration should still issue the full, backdated, 30 days as long as they pay the 500/day overstay fine and provide the correct documents.

Worst case; they will be fined 500/day for the overstay and told to leave or be formally given 7 days to leave.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

a lot of people will be doing the 89 day overstay. guaranteed.

That would be a very foolish decision. Immigration is doing extensions if people bother to try and get them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

a lot of people will be doing the 89 day overstay. guaranteed.

or until a border is open.

Yup, was thinking the same... in the case my Canadian embassy wont provide a letter to extend (which they haven't yet, and theyre delaying on several others as well and starting to require hoops to jump through), and in the event that the Thai government wont change anything, which is quite likely. Hopefully in 89 days ... Some border nearby opens up to head there. 

Edited by samisaurus

Anyone thinking overstay is an option might want to research conditions in the International Detention Centre.

No leniency has been announced, and — as they’ve provided C-19 extensions — it’s highly likely it will be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, samisaurus said:

Yup, was thinking the same... in the case my Canadian embassy wont provide a letter to extend (which they haven't yet, and theyre delaying on several others as well and starting to require hoops to jump through), and in the event that the Thai government wont change anything, which is quite likely. Hopefully in 89 days ... Some border nearby opens up to head there. 

The Canadian Embassy is issuing the letters effective today.

From an email I received from the Canadian Embassy yesterday:
"VISA EXTENSION REQUESTS
The Government of Canada has advised all Canadians to cancel non-essential travel abroad and for Canadian travellers to consider returning home.  Assisting Canadians attempting to return to Canada remains a top priority for Consular personnel. We recognize, however, that options for return to Canada are rapidly diminishing and that some Canadians are resident abroad on a long-term basis. In this context, the Embassy will, as of April 1, undertake to provide supporting letters for Canadians seeking visa extensions in Thailand.

For all such requests, we would kindly ask that you contact the Embassy via email, at [email protected], and not to appear in person
." 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The should get a letter from their embassy as the first step.

Then go to immigration with enough baht in cash to pay the 500 baht per day overstay fine and try to apply for the special extension.

I think immigration should be very flexible since the special extension did not start until the 18th or so and was never formally announced.

Good advice methinks. Situation can only get worse if you try to ride it out. 

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know but it could mean being in the IDC until a flight was available to their home country.

My post was meant to be a general warning since many people may not be aware of the new rules that have been in effect for 4 years now.

What new rules are pertinent? And what were the old rules?

Yesterday I went to chayiaphum immigration embassy letter in hand paid 3500 7 day overstay 1900 for a visa extension they allowed me until April 8 when I have to return was told they needed confirmation from Bangkok my flight is on the 15 April I pointed this out very politely to the I.o dealing with me to no avail . I understand the pressures imposed upon people at this time of crisis but fail to understand the need for people to be returning time and time again surly this only increases the risk of this viruse spreading they are telling us to stay put social distancing this is not possible when you attend the immigration. If they do not come to terms with the severity of this virus it will affect a lot more people than they think be careful out there stay safe 

On 3/31/2020 at 12:39 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not good advice. If they were caught with the overstay the could be detained and deported.

As I wrote I am sure immigration will be flexible. They are not near as bad as you think.

Yesterday received my UK embassy letter for 30 day extension ( took 4 days to arrive by email ) and went to immigration office . My 90 day border run should have taken place on the 30th March so I was 1 day late . Had to pay 500 baht for 1 day overstay . They would not waive that despite my saying it was out of my hands waiting for the letter and also the 1900 baht for 30 days visa extension . I also have to do an interim visit to the immigration office after 15 days , why ?  I wonder how the figure of 1900 baht was arrived at when normally that sum would cover the 90 day border run .  Seems excessive to me . 

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The Canadian Embassy is issuing the letters effective today.

From an email I received from the Canadian Embassy yesterday:
"VISA EXTENSION REQUESTS
The Government of Canada has advised all Canadians to cancel non-essential travel abroad and for Canadian travellers to consider returning home.  Assisting Canadians attempting to return to Canada remains a top priority for Consular personnel. We recognize, however, that options for return to Canada are rapidly diminishing and that some Canadians are resident abroad on a long-term basis. In this context, the Embassy will, as of April 1, undertake to provide supporting letters for Canadians seeking visa extensions in Thailand.

For all such requests, we would kindly ask that you contact the Embassy via email, at [email protected], and not to appear in person
." 

Awesome, only thing is i filled out the affadavit on March 30th at the embassy myself... still waiting on the email to be sent to me in order to print out and take to IO. Thing is that now the IO is requesting residence documents and landlord to come with you to the office... ridiculous. 

Update to all CANADIANS:

- Just got embassy letter in email. I think theyre starting to hand them out/send them finally. Hopefully if U filled out application last few days you get yours as well. 

Now onto the next 10 hoops to jump through haha