Reason For Edit

Mossfinn

Users can edit their posts for a short time (10 minutes?) after they post them. After that time they lose the ability to edit. Mods can edit all posts all the time. I believe it was set up this way to stop some of our more 'imaginative' members from altering the meaning of their posts after having been replied to.

Edited by endure
Edited for missing word and spelling

Users can edit their posts for a short time (10 minutes?) after they post them. After that time they lose ability to edit. Mods can edit all posts all the time. I believe it was set up this way to stop some of our more 'imaginative' members from altering the meaning of their posts after having been replied too.

Also, the Reason For Edit box is only available to mod to simplify and make obvious the reason a member's post may have been edited. For members you can just add something like //Edit - reason for edit.

Edited by tywais
Just for example purposes

Occasionally, when the title has an obvious misspelling, I'll correct it without saying so. If you spell the country Camdodia we needn't remind everybody of the error. Once I corrected the word Were to Where when it was the first word in the sentence, ending with a question mark, and I didn't say that it was originally wrong.

We would never maliciously alter the obvious intent of a post. We might delete something that violates forum rules, but we'd say that we had edited it.

OTOH - not to change the subject - we delete entire posts sometimes, if they're in flagrant violation of the rules, and we might not say we did so. Also, duplicate posts are deleted without comment by some of us, just to keep the forum threads cleaner.