British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work

webfact

They could just provide details of their previous GP maybe?

With such a British looking family I'd be shocked if they'd be suspected and denied treatment.

They can just say "we moved".

Edited by Logosone
  • Sad 1

Just now, Logosone said:

But surely people move address in the UK? Why can't they just say they moved?

Before the NHS can enforce collecting fees they have to know that a person is not entitled to free care. How would the NHS know?

Of course they could just give details of their previous GP and the address of a parent.

Of course, lying is aimed at deceiving those that are asking the questions.

Would depend on what the illness, accident was and the kind of treatment needed. 

If they say moved they'd be asked for new address and previous GP. 

If they give a relative's address, they will still be asked for their GP. 

Obviously British citizens are less likely to arouse suspicion than foreigners and are therefore more likely to get away with lying. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

irresponsible and selfish parents. sorry, have no sympathy for them

As already mentioned, taking two kids to a country where they can't even communicate, nor will they have any friends, is purely insane.

If they believe that they are in paradise because these guys had such a lovely and eventually drugged time on a holiday, they seem to have forgotten that living and holidaying in a country can't be the same.

Sorry, but Ko Phangan is well known for all sorts of drugs, and that would be the worst place for any kids to grow up.

I do not think that anybody on the island was looking for a dive instructor. 

Pretty weird in times where others are trying to leave, they flew to Thailand. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

They could just provide details of their previous GP maybe?

With such a British looking family I'd be shocked if they'd be suspected and denied treatment.

They can just say "we moved".

No one is ever denied treatment. 

If they provide details of a previous GP then the GP won't lie about them no longer being registered. If they're still registered then they'll be o k on that the GP won't know.

The issue usually arises when the illness or problem is related to where they've been living and they need to disclose this to get the correct treatment. Flags then raised.

Then down to the NHS Staff involved and how they handle it. Some will turn a blind eye; other's won't, especially if it's obvious they've just nipped back to use the NHS.

No one, British or other, is ever denied treatment. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, samsensam said:

people; wake up, smell the coffee, and note the date ????

Maybe. But given the idiocy of some recent "stranded" traveler interviews, it is totally believable.

Daily Mail and Devon Online also with this (31st March).

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/family-relocated-thailand-week-before-4003587

Edited by nauseus
added lines 2 and 3

7 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

As already mentioned, taking two kids to a country where they can't even communicate, nor will they have any friends, is purely insane.

If they believe that they are in paradise because these guys had such a lovely and eventually drugged time on a holiday, they seem to have forgotten that living and holidaying in a country can't be the same.

Sorry, but Ko Phangan is well known for all sorts of drugs, and that would be the worst place for any kids to grow up.

I do not think that anybody on the island was looking for a dive instructor. 

Pretty weird in times where others are trying to leave, they flew to Thailand. 

It's not insane. It's actually very good for children to experience different cultures and learn another language. There is no problem at all in Thailand with finding friends for kids. Plenty of kids from many countries.

There's no evidence they're drug addicts, Jesus Christ.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's not insane. It's actually very good for children to experience different cultures and learn another language. There is no problem at all in Thailand with finding friends for kids. Plenty of kids from many countries.

There's no evidence they're drug addicts, Jesus Christ.

I didn't say that they are drug addicts. Unfortunately, are all druggies going to Ko Phangan. 

And you really believe that growing up between all these people is good for kids? 

1 minute ago, generealty said:

How can they have spent all the proceeds from the sale of house and car ? Something just doesn't sound right

My initial estimate of £250,000 was a bit conservative. The average house price in Devon is:

£267,956

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-Devon.html

If they had 90% financing they would have had to pay back a lot and there wouldn't be that much left.

It's possible they had only £20000 to £25000.

Not everyone can put a huge deposit in the UK.

Just now, Isaanbiker said:

I didn't say that they are drug addicts. Unfortunately, are all druggies going to Ko Phangan. 

And you really believe that growing up between all these people is good for kids? 

I definitely wouldn't have chosen a small island, personally. 

No place to get Black Forest ham.

But a beautiful Island with a house by the sea in Thailand? I could think of worse places...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

My initial estimate of £250,000 was a bit conservative. The average house price in Devon is:

£267,956

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-Devon.html

If they had 90% financing they would have had to pay back a lot and there wouldn't be that much left.

It's possible they had only £20000 to £25000.

Not everyone can put a huge deposit in the UK.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/exeter.html

Pure conjecture.

why on earth would you relocate to anywhere during a pandemic , let alone Thailand to work in the tourist industry when everyone knew what was coming - sorry but some people need to get real!

6 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Completely irresponsible parents. Moving to a foreign country with their two young children during a PANDEMIC and seemingly working illegally. Then advertising in the world media they are working ILLEGALLY.  (Read the article in the link, the mother says she’s now teaching English online and they have renewed their visas for 30 days, which indicates tourist visas).

I think they are trying to make money in a catastrophic situation, plus if it is true that they own a car house in the united kingdom, they could easily get money in advance, mortgaging the lotus properties,

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I definitely wouldn't have chosen a small island, personally. 

No place to get Black Forest ham.

But a beautiful Island with a house by the sea in Thailand? I could think of worse places...

And enough beer! 

enough beer.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, generealty said:

How can they have spent all the proceeds from the sale of house and car ? Something just doesn't sound right

They are living a dream... Unfortunately dreams turn into nightmares, my advice is get back to blighty while you can.

Found the following information on repatriation flights.

Thailand

There are still flights available from Thailand to the UK, but the FCO warned this could become increasingly difficult and disruptions could last many months.

The British Embassy in Bangkok will be updating flight options on Facebook and has advised UK citizens to register their interest in any upcoming flights by emailing [email protected], including your full name, date of birth, passport number, contact email and telephone number, location and nearest airport and date of entry into Thailand.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-flights-uk-repatriation-list-latest-a9424381.html

6 hours ago, Youlike said:

I see a gofundme coming…

It's said the timing is everything - they seems to have been underwater for the last 3 months ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

They sound like a couple of carefree backpackers. I guess they forgot about the kiddies! 

This sounds like a go fund me coming up working on a walk up visa bloody morons

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Well, this poor family will have to, since they seem to be running out of options. But I can understand they are running down their savings the way they are, life in Thailand is not that cheap. Not much cheaper than Germany.

I just don't understand the lack of sympathy for a family that did nothing wrong. They got a job before they came out. They got into diffficulties through no fault of their own, only because of the global lockdown of the economies. It was not their fault. A man is deprived of his livelihood and there's no sympathy for a whole family in trouble?

They're your own people, British compatriots, What a strange attitude towards this nice family.

The fact is Logosone,in my opinion they did nothing right,fair enough to chance everything on a wing and a prayer,if there was only the two of them but they have kids,it'seems they may have some kind of buisness visa,like the one i first had 8 years ago as it mentioned 500 quid somewhere,but of course you have to leave the country evey 3 months,immpossible now,also to move in the middle of a world pandemic, well i have to say i think they are damned fools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Nope, they sold their home in DEVON.  That is 220 miles from Essex.

As it says in the article - 'We were living in Devon and decided to just have a complete change so we sold everything'.

You don't get very much right, do you?

Essex-Devon.jpg

That's a very nice map.

I used to do roughly that journey every week to Plymouth from, wait....where the heck is Ramsgate and Broadstairs ??

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Completely irresponsible parents. Moving to a foreign country with their two young children during a PANDEMIC and seemingly working illegally. Then advertising in the world media they are working ILLEGALLY.  (Read the article in the link, the mother says she’s now teaching English online and they have renewed their visas for 30 days, which indicates tourist visas).

Doesnt say that at all. if you have a work permit and the company stops it you are required to leave the same day,, so they would have needed to sort out a different visa because he has no work permit anymore. Also relocation takes a long time to organise so i doubt that they knew about the pandemic when making plans. Overly critical remarks in my opinion. Are you feeling a bit under the weather? Try singing a happy song. 

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

they have renewed their visas for 30 days, which indicates tourist visas

Not sure if it is assumed that he had a work permit ? It was cancelled anyhow and therefore he is without work permits then he has also a problem with the visas ????‍♂️

3 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

The fact is Logosone,in my opinion they did nothing right,fair enough to chance everything on a wing and a prayer,if there was only the two of them but they have kids,it'seems they may have some kind of buisness visa,like the one i first had 8 years ago as it mentioned 500 quid somewhere,but of course you have to leave the country evey 3 months,immpossible now,also to move in the middle of a world pandemic, well i have to say i think they are damned fools.

They made sure they had a job, they did nothing wrong. Those kids are very young and schooling was not an issue.

The reason they are in trouble is because of the global lockdown of economies the father can not do his job.

It's not their fault. 

Yes, I agree, I would certainly make sure that the visa situation is sorted in a clear manner, so yes, here maybe they were a bit careless. 

Of course the move was planned long before the pandemic. But actually during the pandemic, you'd be better off in Thailand, as the UK is going to go through peak infection time in around two weeks. Better to be in Thailand.

The reason they're in trouble is because the job disappeared. Not their fault.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sanchoneymar said:

All this European scammers , coming here to scam , they always have a way on advertising their scam, hilarious that we don't see some evil people racially abuse them the way they abuse other nationalities,  lol , they legally scam ppl all over the world , the same way their p@r€#t$ have done for many years. So many fraudsters from their side , I've never met anyone from their side that aren't fraudsters hiding behind a legit business,. Many of them in pattaya n puket selling fake condominiums, importing drugs into Thailand. 

What the hell was that all about?