Pulling my hair out !! -arrgghh HDD--SDD Clone ?

Social Media

1 minute ago, treetops said:

I used Macrium for the first time ever just a couple of months ago to clone my boot hard drive to solid state drive.  Worked fine and was free.

OP.  If you go back to the original HD, does it boot up OK?

The original HDD in the laptop works absolutely fine. When the SSD is inserted to replace it, "no bootable device"

11 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Minitool is no longer FREE , it guides you through then when you hit "go" you have to upgrade for $59 !!

It is free for personal use and used version 11 about two weeks ago and had no such request.  They have version 12 as of two days ago and appears to be same free to me.  Did you go to the link I provided?  

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is free for personal use and used version 11 about two weeks ago and had no such request.  They have version 12 as of two days ago and appears to be same free to me.  Did you go to the link I provided?  

Yes and as described you have to pay to use it. Note the Red X everywhere.

minitoll.JPG

Edited by Black Ops

8 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

The original HDD in the laptop works absolutely fine. When the SSD is inserted to replace it, "no bootable device"

I would repeat the cloning process.  Do you have a link to the instructions you used?

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

I would repeat the cloning process.  Do you have a link to the instructions you used?

Done that 4 times already, 2hrs every time wears a bit thin on the patience. As for instructions they are n previous post.

Edited by Black Ops

9 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Yes and as described you have to pay to use it.

And the reason I did not have to pay to use it - or Minitool Shadowmaker - is unknown - but a fact nonetheless.

Edit:  Did you perhaps try to migrate OS to SSD?  That seems to be a pay option - I did a clone and was not asked for any upgrade for that.  Unless things have changed in version 12.

Edited by lopburi3

4 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

To see which flags are set on which partitions. To see which partition (if any) is active, etc.

I did state in an earlier post about using diskpart from command line and ensuring the correct partition was set and assigned etc ?

18 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

I did state in an earlier post about using diskpart from command line and ensuring the correct partition was set and assigned etc ?

Yes, you did but if someone else can confirm that looks ok then you can eliminate a problem in the cloning process. 

1 hour ago, Black Ops said:

Done ALL this - no difference.

Also used "diskpart" from command line to ensure correct partition and is assigned etc. - NO difference

Wonderful. If the disk has NO difference then the problem must be somewhere else, correct?

So maybe look at the BIOS, hardware connections, etc.

Because somewhere there must be something different, otherwise it would work.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

including Reflect, allows you to copy standard disks and partions for free but cloning boot or o/s disks/partitions requires the paid version.

Pretty sure that's not true? I cloned my SSD for a new boot drive about 18 months ago with Macrium free. Their site says it still does.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

It's still my goto cloning and disc copying free software.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP is using the latest version of Macrium Reflect, did he pay for it? The last time I looked (about 6 months ago), a lot of the popular disk/partition cloning software, including Reflect, allows you to copy standard disks and partions for free but cloning boot or o/s disks/partitions requires the paid version.

I retain a a legacy version of EASEUS's free software for that reason as their latest version also needs to be bought to have full cloning capability.

No its FREE at the moment, the minitool v.12 has now gone to paid where previously Free.

Well after two days and countless hours, I am done with this! as the old saying goesif it aint broke dont try to fix it, (or upgrade it ????) so the HDD can go back in and the SSD goes into an enclosure as a storage device. F***k**

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Well after two days and countless hours, I am done with this! as the old saying goesif it aint broke dont try to fix it, (or upgrade it ????) so the HDD can go back in and the SSD goes into an enclosure as a storage device. F***k**

Have you tried Daffy D.'s earlier recommendation of using Macrium to create an image backup to a drive (if you have an external backup drive),  creating a Macrium Rescue Disc/USB thumbdrive, then put in your new SSD, then boot from the Rescue Disc/USB thumbdrive, and then restore the backup to the new SSD.  That's the same as cloning.  I've done that before with Macrium....works fine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Done that 4 times already, 2hrs every time wears a bit thin on the patience. As for instructions they are n previous post.

Last-minute straw clutch here... was that 4 unsuccessful attempts using the same software?

11 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

An alternative free source (which i prefer) is EaseUS Partition Manager, which includes a Clone function (whole of drive) and OS copy (copy only Windows OS)

This has been my go-to clone software for the past half-dozen trouble-free, totally unattended clones.

But I will add that the latest version (6 months ago) only allowed cloning of the o/s partition if you paid for it. Found an earlier version on filehippo that works without asking for cash.

EASEus Partition Master 10.2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

This has been my go-to clone software for the past half-dozen trouble-free, totally unattended clones.

But I will add that the latest version (6 months ago) only allowed cloning of the o/s partition if you paid for it. Found an earlier version on filehippo that works without asking for cash.

EASEus Partition Master 10.2

Tried this, got a 10.2 version, installed it etc, went through the motions, but it refused !

This is an odd one, the source drive (hdd) is 1 Tb physical size, but only has 145gb of data (the rest has been removed /stored elsehere), the destination SSD is 240gb but this software will not copy as the destination disk is "too small" ???

10 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Tried this, got a 10.2 version, installed it etc, went through the motions, but it refused !

This is an odd one, the source drive (hdd) is 1 Tb physical size, but only has 145gb of data (the rest has been removed /stored elsehere), the destination SSD is 240gb but this software will not copy as the destination disk is "too small" ???

After 4 pages you come up with that comment. Please!

You can't easily clone from a big disk to a small "disk". And it's about the size of the disk, not the size of the data!

If you want to try again then reduce the size of the partition(s) on your original disk to total something below 240GB or better 200GB, because the numbers are often not exact.

And then clone the partitions, not the (too big) disk.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

After 4 pages you come up with that comment. Please!

You can't easily clone from a big disk to a small "disk". And it's about the size of the disk, not the size of the data!

If you want to try again then reduce the size of the partition(s) on your original disk to total something below 240GB or better 200GB, because the numbers are often not exact.

And then clone the partitions, not the (too big) disk.

If you cant be civil please dont participate.

The partitions were resized accordingly. and there was plenty of room.

Assuming the clone went as planned and you went into Bios checked ssd recognised

Change the "Onboard SATA Mode" to [AHCI]

also do a double check onthe bios

set it up exit then go back in & check its right

Edited by andy72
  • Sad 1