Residence In Thailand, What About Abroad Income ?

Suppose you take your residence to Thailand. Will your income from bonds and securities you own in other countries be liable to Thailand taxation ? That is, is Thailand like Brazil ?

No you will not be taxed on that income. Thailand will get it;s pound of flesh from you in other more discrete and less obvious ways!

There is some rule about living here more than 183 days in a year. I am concerned about this also but don't know the actual laws.

When I asked sunbelt they said they didn't know either but that thailand doesn't enforce this so don't worry about it.

Ask 10 lawyers this question and you will get 10 different answers.

Its the difference between legality and enforcement..

Yes technically you would owe taxes on your worldwide income (including investments) when you reside full time here but Thailand does not seem to have a way of declaring (or checking) this income while your here not working.. So its another one of those TiT moments where the law is not the law as implemented.

There is some rule about living here more than 183 days in a year. I am concerned about this also but don't know the actual laws.

When I asked sunbelt they said they didn't know either but that thailand doesn't enforce this so don't worry about it.

Ask 10 lawyers this question and you will get 10 different answers.

You don't have to ask a lawyer this US tax related question. Go to www.irs.gov/ and look up the instructions for form 2555 and it will explain it to you. Form 2555 is the one you would use to seek to have up to USD 82,400 of your foreign earned income excluded.

Sunbelt is correct in that your question relates to US tax laws, not Thai tax laws. They are separate. If you have further questions, I would ask a CPA that does US taxes for those domiciled in Thailand.