Virus rebellion! Thais returning at airport refuse to go into government sanctioned quarantine

rooster59

Just now, liddelljohn said:

Another humiliation for the Thai Government  ,, seriously they should have  just arrested any of those passangers  who refused isolation in Sattahip   and thrown them into a normal prison ,,that would be a reality check for the selfish  prima donnas

I would like to see them do just that, after all, there is panic apparently. No reason to follow the law, no reason to adhere to basic human rights. Throw all of that out of the window. The prima donnas are the fear mongers. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I'm one of the ones wanting to get into Thailand as I have family, house, and property there; I'd be more than happy to do a 14 day govt quarantine if that's what it takes to let me enter. The people that have violated the self quarantine--by posting it online, didn't help the situation for the ones trying to get in now.

6 hours ago, tifino said:

now they know what it's like to be a falang tourist! (being kept in the dark, until IT happens)

Great preparation for mariage some survive, some even have a second go on Asoke's great karmic wheel.

This why locals belive in instant reincarnation they couldn't even endure  a fortnight in a hotel, but enough of my honeymoon.

Keep safe guys the state doesn't een care for it's own folks let alone us.

9 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Thousands of troops deployed to enforce curfew yet an angry mob can dictate to those "in charge".

Unbelievable.

I do not see an angry mob, I see a bunch of hooligans that are disobeying government orders. 
the spokesperson should have told them either you cooperate and follow our orders, or I will have you handcuffed and we will take you to the designated place. 
if you do not like it, call your lawyer and they can take the appropriate steps to have a government order revoked while you are in quarantine.

reasonable approach.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I understand that they were kept in the dark for many hours and not told anything that's what led to them saying 'enough is enough'. Maybe if they were clearly told that if they take that flight they must be quarantined. If this is not true then they have all their booking info - go arrest them!

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

A round of hefty bitchslaps should suppress the deadly maibpenrai attitude for the required two weeks. If not, public caning.

My dad said it all went pear-shaped in the UK when they banned the birch.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

I do not know where you are from but I am from the UK. And I can imagine the furore the press would have there if a group of foreigners arriving into the UK did not do as asked in times like these. 

Maybe. But I think the problem was caused by a Government order being issued while these people were in mid flight and so were ignorant of what was required of them. Another case of those in charge not thinking things through.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has prohibited all aircraft from entering Thailand for three days after some 100 Thais, who landed at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday (April 3) evening, refused to go to quarantine facilities in Bangkok and Chonburi, claiming they were not notified in advance of the procedures.

Thais at it's worst .Don't care what the Law or anyone says .Get the Army and Force them in to quarantine No Excuses. Who's in charge ? The people ? Lock them up in quarantine and fine them THB 5000 a day.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-army-orders-probe-into-general-who-allegedly-let-152-thais-from-us-go-home-2/

The Permanent Secretary of the Defence Ministry has recalled an army major-general from Suvarnabhumi international airport and ordered an investigation into his reported decision to let 152 Thais, arriving from abroad yesterday, to return home instead of being quarantined in state facilities.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

They boarded their planes thinking they would shortly be home, seeing family again, without ever being told that they would have to spend 14 days in a quarantine prison. It’s understandable that they were angry. Many would not have returned if they had known what would happen.

^this.. if they were not actually warned about a quarantine prison, well I would personally have the same reaction (and I'm not surprised if the authorities forgot to inform them all about it). If you are informed in advance at least you can make the decision to stay where you are instead of traveling home (and into confinement). But don't know what the real story is. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

They boarded their planes thinking they would shortly be home, seeing family again, without ever being told that they would have to spend 14 days in a quarantine prison. It’s understandable that they were angry. Many would not have returned if they had known what would happen.

'Understandable they were angry' ...... what are you talking about, do you think that by the beginning of April they were oblivious to the virus ?

Where were they returning from .......  Mars  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

'Understandable they were angry' ...... what are you talking about, do you think that by the beginning of April they were oblivious to the virus ?

Where were they returning from .......  Mars  

You clearly haven't seen the paperwork required for Thai citizens that was needed even to board the flight. They weren't oblivious to the issue. They'd already been made to jump through a bunch of hoops, having fit to fly certificates certified by the Thai embassy in the city where they were flying from - which the would have had to have gotten in the day or two before flying. If it was 'well known' they would have gone into quarantine, the embassy would have told them before departure.

No, this was spung on them.

6 hours ago, ross163103 said:

I'm one of the ones wanting to get into Thailand as I have family, house, and property there; I'd be more than happy to do a 14 day govt quarantine if that's what it takes to let me enter. The people that have violated the self quarantine--by posting it online, didn't help the situation for the ones trying to get in now.

Now do you realise the folly of buying property you can't legally own in your ownname in a country that won't let you back in and in which you have no rights to reside whatsoever? 

I suspect a good few people will be rethinking their plans after this is all over. 

5 hours ago, KKr said:

I do not see an angry mob, I see a bunch of hooligans that are disobeying government orders. 
the spokesperson should have told them either you cooperate and follow our orders, or I will have you handcuffed and we will take you to the designated place. 
if you do not like it, call your lawyer and they can take the appropriate steps to have a government order revoked while you are in quarantine.

I agree, but they wouldn't do that unless they knew that none of them weren't somebodies.

Edited by daveAustin

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand bans flight arrivals after returnees throw tantrum over quarantine

By THE NATION

800_f4fd6d6f8ef5aa8.jpg

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has prohibited all aircraft from entering Thailand for three days after some 100 Thais, who landed at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday (April 3) evening, refused to go to quarantine facilities in Bangkok and Chonburi, claiming they were not notified in advance of the procedures.

The CAAT issued the order a few hours after the incident on Friday. The order signed by CAAT director-general Chula Sukmanop cites Sections 27 and 28 of Air Navigation Act BE 2497 to prevent the spread of Covid-19 and to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

According to the order, all aircraft carrying passengers will be prohibited from entering Thailand from 0.01am on April 4 until 11.59pm on April 6, with exception for state or military aircraft, emergency landing, technical landing of aircraft without passengers, humanitarian aid, medical and relief flights, repatriation flights and cargo aircraft.

The order stipulates that all passengers who had embarked from airports before the order came into effect must be under restrictions regarding communicable disease prevention under Section 9 of Emergency Decree on Public Administration BE 2548, and must be held in quarantine for 14 days.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385405

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-04

Once again, Thai officials, in this case the CAAT are being 'economical with the truth'.

I have just checked on Flightradar24 and just on the snapshot I am looking at it is showing no incoming flights EXCEPT FOR 2 - both from China!!!!!    Flt. No. CA979 from Beijing to Bangkok is landing at 23.30 (4th) & Flt. No. CA805 from  Shanghai to Bangkok is due to land at 00.30 (5th)!!!!

So, what CAAT really meant was that flights from everywhere EXCEPT China are banned for these 3 days.

Does this make any sense at all & why can't they ever tell the whole truth?!!

5 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

If you thought Trump and Johnson were the champion mishandlers of COVID-19, this sorry debacle proves that Thailand is still the Hub of Mismanagement!

Until you compare the numbers, or do you just want to turn this into yet another "Thai Knocking" thread"?

You can do better than this?

33 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

Once again, Thai officials, in this case the CAAT are being 'economical with the truth'.

I have just checked on Flightradar24 and just on the snapshot I am looking at it is showing no incoming flights EXCEPT FOR 2 - both from China!!!!!    Flt. No. CA979 from Beijing to Bangkok is landing at 23.30 (4th) & Flt. No. CA805 from  Shanghai to Bangkok is due to land at 00.30 (5th)!!!!

So, what CAAT really meant was that flights from everywhere EXCEPT China are banned for these 3 days.

Does this make any sense at all & why can't they ever tell the whole truth?!!

sadly it's lazy journalism, how often do generalisations and unchecked 'facts' get reported as news? i do think that the OP should do an efficacy check on news items before posting them and add caveats to misleading or inaccurate reports

18 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Ha..ha..ha!!! This article made my day! Not because potential carriers were released into public, but because it shows up the poor planning and ineptitude of the responsible authorities. Sadly, the next incoming group will probably be met with guns.

I've read comments praising the authorities. My memory hasn't faded from the last few months, I remember exactly how this pandemic has been handled from January up until now; <deleted> springs to mind 

8 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Maybe. But I think the problem was caused by a Government order being issued while these people were in mid flight and so were ignorant of what was required of them. Another case of those in charge not thinking things through.

Good points but it also displays total arrogance and selfishness. This group is mostly adults who should have already known that for at least a couple of weeks arriving must go into quarantine for 2 weeks and also known that the way all of this handled is changing and will keep changing and get more serious by the day.  What would have been an appropriate and adult response would have been; I didn't know we would go to a gov't assigned location, I don't want to go there but I realize it's for a good reason and I will go there.

So they were told mid flight. Do they expect any new directions/instructions should be timed to suit them and be polite to them, and only them? 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2