Virus rebellion! Thais returning at airport refuse to go into government sanctioned quarantine

rooster59

20 hours ago, justaphase said:

Typical Thais, thinking that it doesn't apply to them.

the government thinks same

we just got a general or something from nakhon si thamarat going over the closed bridge into phuket and back

the government he works for say no travel between province ,phuket governor closed the bridge 

and still nobody sent him back home and told him to call or face 1.000.000 fine or 200 years in prison 

i think and hope the hot weather keep it at a low pace ,if the numers are right and now 2 weeks since the all went home and still not too bad, we might be lucky

but anyway this is very boring and they probably came from that and sure mom and dad have money else they wouldnt come back 

they think here we can do what we want and why not the government think it can do what it want too so there we have it

• Like 1

This reminds me of an incident at a cram school in Bkk, rich girl comes in, books some sessions for English lessons because she has to pass the IELTS test.

School explains to her that she must be on time for each lesson because the teacher has a 10 minute break at the end of the 30 minute session then starts the next session with another student.

First lesson she's 40/50 minutes. School staff remind her that she must be on time and tell her the teacher has already started the next session.

Girl is horrified and she says angrily 'you mean the teacher didn't wait for me?' 

School staff repeat again 'you must be on time because .....'

Girl then says 'this is not fair because right now my family only has one driver'.

Owner of the school is listening to all of this, he's afraid of the family and tells the staff to refund all the fees immediately.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure if mentioned yet, but saw on Thai news yesterday that all 152 people (out of 158; 6 voluntarily reported already) are being ordered to report to gov officials immediately or be arrested.  If they've already returned home and been in contact with family/friends, these others must report as well.  The gov knows exactly who these people are and will track them down if they refuse to comply.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The "response" to this fiasco is to ban all arrivals FROM 3 APRIL 2020 AT 1700 UTC TO 6 APRIL 2020 AT 1700 UTC

https://www.icao.int/safety/Pages/COVID-19-Airport-Status.aspx

BANGKOK (VTBB) airspace:

COVID-19: TEMPORARY BAN ON ALL INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS TO THAILAND 1. ACCORDING TO THE LATEST NOTIFICATION OF THE CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY OF THAILAND, ALL INTERNATIONAL PASSENGER FLIGHTS TO THAILAND WILL BE BANNED FROM 3 APRIL 2020 AT 1700 UTC TO 6 APRIL 2020 AT 1700 UTC. ALL FLIGHT PERMITS GRANTED FOR SUCH PERIOD WILL BE CANCELED. 2. THE BAN DOES NOT APPLY TO STATE OR MILITARY AIRCRAFT, EMERGENCY LANDING, TECHNICAL LANDING WITHOUT DISEMBARKATION, HUMANITARIAN, MEDICAL OR RELIEF FLIGHTS, REPATRIATION FLIGHTS AND CARGO FLIGHTS. 3. THE PASSENGERS ON BOARD THE AIRCRAFT LEAVING THE AIRPORT OF DEPARTURE BEFORE THE ENTRY INTO FORCE OF THE NOTIFICATION WILL SUBJECT TO 14 DAY QUARANTINE UNDER THE CONTIGUOUS DISEASE LAW AND THE REGULATION UNDER THE EMERGENCY DECREE ON STATE OF EMERGENCY CREATED: 03 Apr 2020 16:39:00 SOURCE: VTBDYNYX

It would be nice if you did not shout. !  again .

This means no capital letters got it ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Not sure if mentioned yet, but saw on Thai news yesterday that all 152 people (out of 158; 6 voluntarily reported already) are being ordered to report to gov officials immediately or be arrested.  If they've already returned home and been in contact with family/friends, these others must report as well.  The gov knows exactly who these people are and will track them down if they refuse to comply.

Exactly!

And now all the relatives they had contact with will also be ordered into quarantine or self isolation.

To use my Thai friend's favourite expression: "Som nam na"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Greenhill said:

I have just checked on Flightradar24 and just on the snapshot I am looking at it is showing no incoming flights EXCEPT FOR 2 - both from China!!!!!    Flt. No. CA979 from Beijing to Bangkok is landing at 23.30 (4th) & Flt. No. CA805 from  Shanghai to Bangkok is due to land at 00.30 (5th)!!!!

Oh good! The face masks are coming (back)!!!!

One of the things I enjoy about Thais is their irreverent attitude to authority. In the West we are told to lock down, destroy our economies and lose our jobs or businesses, we all willingly obey. We are told we are doomed if we don't and believe it without question. In fact we are even better, we dob in our neighbors and prostate before the men in uniform, no better than communist Russia in the cold war.

The Thais however have little intention of copping that. Good on them, after millions of Chinese already flooding the country what possible difference would it make.

• Sad 2

This is what happens when the in charge obtained their position by means other than competency.

I had the unfortunate experience of coming through Swampy a couple of weeks ago. Clusterfeck is the only suitable description. Have to use new online App for TM form and take a screenshot from your phone. OK App did not work, surprise etc. Is in Eng or Thai. Two planes full of Russians just arrived. Result 300 people clustered around the access to immigration, cheek by jowl, what social distancing? Eventually I pushed through and obtained a form for the failed App. Two extra questions which everyone would lie about anyway. So filled out the form and pushed through the throng again, then let through never mind the temperature check.  All the while some senior immigration clown was taking photo's with his phone. I really pity the poor IO's that were trying to make order of this. Gross incompetence again and again. What will happen, nothing. Keep yourself safe as no one else is going to.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Litlos said:

This is what happens when the in charge obtained their position by means other than competency.

I had the unfortunate experience of coming through Swampy a couple of weeks ago. Clusterfeck is the only suitable description. Have to use new online App for TM form and take a screenshot from your phone. OK App did not work, surprise etc. Is in Eng or Thai. Two planes full of Russians just arrived. Result 300 people clustered around the access to immigration, cheek by jowl, what social distancing? Eventually I pushed through and obtained a form for the failed App. Two extra questions which everyone would lie about anyway. So filled out the form and pushed through the throng again, then let through never mind the temperature check.  All the while some senior immigration clown was taking photo's with his phone. I really pity the poor IO's that were trying to make order of this. Gross incompetence again and again. What will happen, nothing. Keep yourself safe as no one else is going to.

Cheers

i was leaving suvanabhumi last week and while waiting at the gate i could see an arriving flight being processed. passengers lined up, IOs in hazmat suits, it looked pretty organised if apocalyptic, though all that seemed to be being done was form filling and photo taking... after about 30 minutes they all cleared off in a big crowd, ignoring social distancing...

IMG_3229.JPG.45239dbac09b36217684e639e67b5b35.JPG

On 4/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, RandolphGB said:

They boarded their planes thinking they would shortly be home, seeing family again, without ever being told that they would have to spend 14 days in a quarantine prison. It’s understandable that they were angry. Many would not have returned if they had known what would happen.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:25 PM, ChouDoufu said:

not really communist, despite the outdated label.  (to be rich is glorious!)  i'd go with authoritarian, perhaps totalitarian, but not as far as dictatorship.  there is the single main party, but just as with east germany, there are a number of small, controlled "opposition" parties.

after all, nobody would claim north korea is a "peoples democratic republic."

i expect things will go very badly with thailand in the next month if they can't get the population under control.  the government will panic, they will see the success china has had controlling the spread, and they will request assistance in setting up similar systems to track individuals. 

all will be done with good intentions of course, for national security.  and maybe next year when there's a vaccine and this is all over, the new measures will not go away.  as with the inappropriately-titled "patriot act", new powers gifted to the government won't ever be relinquished.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjaman Franklin 

• Sad 1

On 4/4/2020 at 11:48 PM, daveAustin said:

I agree, but they wouldn't do that unless they knew that none of them weren't somebodies.

well, in that case the police have disobeyed the instructions given by government, and the somebodies are guilty of disobeying the Law and of potentially spreading a virus in their community, enterprises and family.
as they say:
You reap what you sow.

Edited by KKr