SURVEY: Pattaya Shutdown, effective or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Pattaya Shutdown, effective or not?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was reported that the governor of Pattaya plans to close down Pattaya, including some hotels and effectively seal off the town.  In your opinion, is this a good move?   Which of the following best expresses your opinion.

• Haha 1

The compliance generally here in Pattaya with shutdowns, social distancing and stay at home, certainly seems at a higher level than from what I hear from my Australian contacts. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

If it puts the thieving ladyboys on Beach Rd out of business it has to be effective!

I have walked Beach Road for years and never been robbed by anyone, although never in the middle of the night.

But let me say one thing, if anyone ever picks my pocket, or even attempts it, Ladyboy or not, I will put an old wallet filled with paper and fish hooks in my pocket and walk beach road again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not on topic, but still topical. 

In Phuket, specifically Patong, everyone appears to be on the same page (with one recent exception) regarding curfews, wearing masks, executing social distancing plus all hotels, shops, bars, beaches, massage shops, etc. all closed. When I go to my local 7-Eleven, they take your temp, give out Purell before you can enter the store.

Measuring temperature, wearing masks and hand gel help minimise the risk but do not ensure a healthy and safe environment. Those infected are at risk of transmitting the disease 5 days before symptoms occupation and for up to 8 days after

Edited by OffshoreMig

6 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

I do not think the survey adds any value.  It is not well designed or informative. Sorry, Unless its aim is to reinforce a set predetermined outcome. Push polling.

Thats right, there are 3 No answers and 1 yes answer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

Measuring temperature, wearing masks and hand gel help minimise the risk but do not ensure a healthy and safe environment. Those infected are at risk of transmitting the disease 5 days before symptoms occupation and for up to 8 days after

Also the lastest stats

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its the same all over the world, countries are slowly moving to 100% shutdowns. Most places the shutdowns have been in stages.

A 100% shutdown will stop the virus, as it has in China, the sooner we get to a complete shutdown, the sooner its over.

Not so simple until a vaccine is discovered ,so it ain’t going to just disappear for a looooong time

Edited by Hoppyone
Wrong letter
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have walked Beach Road for years

Time you went home and paid a visit to the wife. You likely do as most, walk during the day-time or evenings, but not particularly in the early hours, 2-5am shall we say. Which would increase your chances. 

Edited by jacko45k

The lock down will not help because you will not get rid of the virus until there is a vaccine ready.  You can always shut everything down for 3-4 months , but the virus will still be there when tourists start visiting again and people move around. 

According to leading virus experts this new virus will be a part of our seasonal flu and will never disappear. But when we have achieved a flock immunity among the majority of the population and there is a vaccine ready, the world will get back to normal and business as usual.  

Edited by balo

19 hours ago, john69 said:

You must be homesick. I am sure everything done in your country is full-hearthed and well-conceived. Let me guess: you are from the US.

Wrong on all counts.  I love the sunshine of Thailand but hate their dithering with people's lives.  Every year the Thai Government has meetings to discuss the flood or drought conditions.  Result - the worst drought in living memory.  Annually there is the hand-wringing about air quality. Result Chiang Mai was officially the most polluted city in the World whilst Thai farmers continue to burn off crops with impunity. 

DAILY there are the 2nd worst figures of road deaths worldwide whilst RTP fiddles.

There are various promises to reform the army or the police - I've heard them for the last 15 years.

I am from the UK where the virus deaths are tragic.  I await Thailand's true statistics with trepidation.

19 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I find the measures being taken by the Thai authorities are very effective. The numbers of effected people as well as the unfortunate death ratio are exceptionally low compared to other countries with the same population size. If necessary the measures should be made stricter, even leading to a total curfew.

Indeed the numbers are surprisingly and exceptionally low.  Do we trust Anutin's figures?  He tends to report cases involving dirty farangs. 

I'm impressed by how serious some countries are taking this, and pleasantly surprised by the actions taken in Pattaya. The US is a disappointment. I thought that they would handle it very professionally. I read that a pandemic team were fired by the Trump Administration ... I wonder if the US would have been ahead of the curve if that had not happened?

• Like 1

Until the government increases the testing ability the true numbers cannot be seen. So far about 25,000 tests have been done here in a country of 70 million. That number should be way higher for an accurate count of the problems.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Indeed the numbers are surprisingly and exceptionally low.  Do we trust Anutin's figures?  He tends to report cases involving dirty farangs. 

His numbers are an understatement for sure ... there are far more "dirty farangs" than he imagines, quite a few in Pattaya.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, Peterw42 said:

Its the same all over the world, countries are slowly moving to 100% shutdowns. Most places the shutdowns have been in stages.

A 100% shutdown will stop the virus, as it has in China, the sooner we get to a complete shutdown, the sooner its over.

and stop the economy and financial systems dead in their tracks. It's a  ludicrously impractical and dangerous idea. as it will eventually kill more people than the virus ever could .