Hiding Wiring

JayBird

On 4/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, vogie said:

All our external walls have a cavity, I have had extra sockets fitted and the electrician had no problems feeding a wire down the void, but it was built by the Burmese.????????

That’s it, go on blame the Burmese again ????

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 10:05 AM, Rimmer said:

Or put them in some nice tiny white plastic channel, easy job, pin the base of the channel to the wall lay the cable on it and clip the cover over it.   

That is probably what i would do.   But i have been here so long that I no longer get bothered

by not having  "western style" perfection.   

One other thing,  how old is the "old style wiring" ?   First thing to do is have  a decent electrician check out the wiring system.    That would be my first concern.   How old is the wiring?   Is it grounded ?   Proper circuit breaker and circuits ?   

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

Im all for sort of making a feature out of it by using metal conduit. ( in metal finish or black ) 

You can see it now employed on new  tilt up buildings  that have solid concrete walls.

But in the old days it was run , fully exposed , on Victorian/Edwardian red brick walls.

The all metal stuff makes an interesting feature , and is now being employed heavily on the renovated Sino-Portuguese shop houses of old Phuket Town.

It doesnt look out of place at all.

Just remember to have a full check of the wiring  job after its done , as metal conduit can "conduct" , AND paint first , as it looks crappy with over paint splashed on it. ( Tho I think what Im suggesting may be more than you wish to do ) 

And please get rid of the VDO popups please Mods !

Edited by zaZa9

Using the flat, snap-on type conduit/trunking would likely be a big hassle, as the wire needs to be pulled from the wall, the wall smoothed and then the base of the new conduit/trunking installed, the wire inserted and then the cap snapped on.

14 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Im all for sort of making a feature out of it by using metal conduit. ( in metal finish or black ) 

You can see it now employed on new  tilt up buildings  that have solid concrete walls.

But in the old days it was run , fully exposed , on Victorian/Edwardian red brick walls.

The all metal stuff makes an interesting feature , and is now being employed heavily on the renovated Sino-Portuguese shop houses of old Phuket Town.

It doesnt look out of place at all.

Just remember to have a full check of the wiring  job after its done , as metal conduit can "conduct" , AND paint first , as it looks crappy with over paint splashed on it. ( Tho I think what Im suggesting may be more than you wish to do ) 

And please get rid of the VDO popups please Mods !

This looks good if the conduit is run by an actual tradesman, and is kept clean. Even the plastic looks okay if it's done right and doesn't get painted up.

6 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

This got me puzzled ????

It is all the same thread as this.

Were you dreaming about this one thread before? 555

Nah, I was just thinking of the six posts telling Vogie that he can't possibly live in Thailand that were made even after he said that his home, which he designed, has cavity walls.

• Haha 1