Visa, Info., O/w Air?

let me see if i've got this right, PLEASE correct me where wrong or if things have changed in last 6 months. have re-read the forums, but i might have missed something. i'm compiling all information gleaned from the forum answers which i feel are relevant to my situation.

am retired american, almost 61, have (not much!), retirement income which i can show on a document. i can get a 3-entry tourist visa from thai consulate in Boston, will leave end of april. i have 'old' passport, not new digital one, 5 years validity left. had lived as 'tourist' doing visa runs in thailand on and off from 2002 to '04, not back in almost 3 years. will be living again in patong.

i am flying ONE-WAY and with visa from US, your post answers all SEEM to say no problem with airlines in USA seeing that IF one shows visa, same with thailand. the reason for this is that i really don't want to return; when 3-entry tourist visa up (in for 6 mos., out for 6 mos. CORRECT?), i will go back to vietnam or wherever, then come back to thailand. OK...but no posts addressing this issue: have to show thai consulate flight tickets and everything i read says round trip/return flight. will they REJECT my application because of no return flight? seems to me the issue isn't the airlines but the thai visa requirements!

Q: will visa request be denied because of o/w ticket?

Q: will the old thai stamps raise an eyebrow on the visa run when i go out to renew the next 60 day visa? also showing no return flight at land border visa station?

Q: i guess i could get the 'multi entry non-immigrant visa', but doesn't that require a lot of supporting documentation and hoops to jump through? i.e; showing specific income per month, getting thai bank accounts, etc.?

lastly..where are the up-to-date mailing/fee requirements for the thai visa? all i see are out of date, even thai embassy sites are old! thanks for all your help, kurt

Q: will visa request be denied because of o/w ticket?

Q: will the old thai stamps raise an eyebrow on the visa run when i go out to renew the next 60 day visa? also showing no return flight at land border visa station?

Q: i guess i could get the 'multi entry non-immigrant visa', but doesn't that require a lot of supporting documentation and hoops to jump through? i.e; showing specific income per month, getting thai bank accounts, etc.?

lastly..where are the up-to-date mailing/fee requirements for the thai visa? all i see are out of date, even thai embassy sites are old! thanks for all your help, kurt

Firstly some input on which wasn't a question..... a triple entry tourist visa will, if used wisely give you 9 months in Thailand as each entry can be extended in country by 30 days so with each entry you can get a total of 90days but the last entry must be used before the 6 month expiry of the visa.

A: No as you dont have to show a ticket to request a visa

A: Old stamps no problem

A: You could get a Non Imm O visa with the reason to 'explore retirement' no particular hoop jumping to be done (dont confuse it with a Non Imm O-A.)

Lastly as for fees, I would search the Thai consulate sites in US or give one of them a call.

As Mahout says, you are better off with a multiple-entry non-O visa, purpose of visit “to explore retirement possibility”. Just don’t let them talk you into a non-O-A (retirement) visa, which is what you don’t want. For the record, you are not flying to Thailand to retire there, but to go and see if you might like it for retirement.

There are some Thai consulates in the world that ask for a return ticket when applying for a visa but most don’t. I don’t know about Boston; ask them.

--

Maestro

i don't think the 'non-imm. '0' will work if info. i see is correct. i DO NOT have the ability to show their financial requirements on monthy basis; 65,000 Baht. if i am correct, i would have to show/prove financial records, deposit in thai bank, etc., right? my money is not that liquid, it is in investment instruments. i can show money exists, but will not cash out simply to put in thai bank. do you see what i mean? i hope i'm saying this right. also retired, no spouse. can't find a copy on your site of the 'non-imm. '0' for retirement' visa or the docs. requirements....is there one? i DO appreciate, as always, your help on this site, kurt

i don't think the 'non-imm. '0' will work if info. i see is correct. i DO NOT have the ability to show their financial requirements on monthy basis; 65,000 Baht. if i am correct, i would have to show/prove financial records, deposit in thai bank, etc., right? my money is not that liquid, it is in investment instruments. i can show money exists, but will not cash out simply to put in thai bank. do you see what i mean? i hope i'm saying this right. also retired, no spouse. can't find a copy on your site of the 'non-imm. '0' for retirement' visa or the docs. requirements....is there one? i DO appreciate, as always, your help on this site, kurt

When applying for a Non Imm visa you do not have to show any funds or income. You just need a valid reason "exploring retirement opportunities". With a Non Imm O multi entry you will be allowed to enter Thailand as many times as you wish for a period of 12 months. Each visit will be for a maximum of 90 days so you will have to do border hops (in and out) to restart the next 90 days. (4 trips to the border will give you 15 months in Thailand.

You only have to show income or funds if you want to get a 1 year extention once in Thailand to prevent you doing those trips. Of course without the extention or the funds you will have to think of something else at the end of the 15 months

sheesh, the bureaucrats don't make it easy! ok..D/L'd the visa app. much different than the example you show. i check 'non-imm. visa' but how do they know i want '0 type' for retirement?

'purpose of visit'...is exploring retirement possibilities.

'length of stay'...what do i put for that?

'place to stay'...is that patong or a specific hotel?

'date of previous visits to thailand'...the last time (year) or last exit stamp date?

'reference person/address in thailand'..HUH???

sorry for all the dopey Q's, thanks for your patience. you know, i'll get everything and wind up being hit by a bus at logan airport...ha!

The purpose of visit determines the type of visa issued.

1. Exploring retirement possibilities.

2. 90 days. As that is the max per entry.

3. Hotel.

4. Last exit date should be fine.

5. Self.

You also want to indicate "multi" entry if there is no box to check (if that is what you want). You could use item 2 to indicate it but that might be overlooked.

1. Exploring retirement possibilities.

2. 90 days. As that is the max per entry.

3. Hotel.

4. Last exit date should be fine.

5. Self.

When I applied for my last non-o (in KL) the nice lady made me change '90 days' to '1 year' otherwise she wanted to issue me with a single entry. Go figure :o

• 6 months later...

Nobody knows for sure and different people seem to have different experiences - but if you have no other options but tourist visas and visa exempt entry you may find it increasingly difficult to stay in Thailand full time.

As Mahout says, you are better off with a multiple-entry non-O visa, purpose of visit "to explore retirement possibility". Just don't let them talk you into a non-O-A (retirement) visa, which is what you don't want. For the record, you are not flying to Thailand to retire there, but to go and see if you might like it for retirement.

There are some Thai consulates in the world that ask for a return ticket when applying for a visa but most don't. I don't know about Boston; ask them.

--

Maestro

What is wrong with a non O/A visa why would that not be suitable

non imm o multi entry no special docs or funds needed?!?!?!?

good for one year or 15 months? just border runs every 90 days

TGTBT (to good to be true)?

what am i missing here?

ive been reading this forum for a while and that's a new one on me

of course i could have easily overlooked it

where have these been obtained?

what countries / consulates please?

i called the new york embassy twice now for help, they wont answer any questions

they just say check the website

which seems to be both out of date and full of holes and unanswered questions/concerns

the dc embassy is a possible option but not nearly as conveinent

could maybe do by mail but my new york address is not in their jurisdiction (problem?)

any suggestions or experiences?

i plan to call dc soon and see how helpful they are

my options are pretty much open:

i have a letter from a thai school to study thai - ed visa, 90 days? multi?

i have a letter from a thai school with a possible job offer - b visa - 90 days? multi?

i have a letter from a thai friend as long term character reference - visiting friends - visa? ???

i can fufill o-a retirement options (knocking on my head) but with o-a visa probably can not work legally in thailand - 1 year no border runs, just 90 day reporting ?

also no plans to transfer funds to thailand now or in the futrue,

(yes you read that right, <deleted>-TRUE

got that on a fortune cookie once:

'your futrue looks bright,' i just cant shake it now)

and now this type o multi entry!!!! huh?

thanks all

i really appricate this forum and the thread about working with a retirement visa

just shows to go ya :o

'when in doubt.......geese i dunno'