Bad Restaurants In Samui....olivio, One Of Them

Two nights ago I experienced a really poor dining experience at one of your "best" restaurants, Olivio at the Haad Ngam resort in Chaweng. I have read and heard a lot about this multi award winning restaurant being one of the best around, I beg to differ.

First of all, a great location, but it about stopped at that, very busy when we walked in, but managed to secure a table non the less.

It took around 30 mins to receive drinks, badly prepared cocktails and overpriced water, no complementary water here.

The impressive looking menu arrived along with an ok selection of breads, clearly not made in house though.

First course arrived 25 minutes after ordering, by this time, numbers in the restaurant were down to just three tables, so why the extreme wait? and no explanation offered by unattentive wait staff. When it arrived, well as a rule you always eat with your eyes, and one of my dining partners described his smoked salmon first course as an uncooked pork leg!! A beef carpaccio which had broccoli with it? and this is made by an Italian with over 25 years experience, under seasoned and overpriced as were the other dishes experienced by the rest of the table.

At this point it was a case if they hadn’t started to make the main course then don’t bother!

Unfortunately it did arrive 30 minutes after the first course had been cleared, over cooked Australian grain fed beef, over cooked salmon and hard inedible risotto, all this at a price of just over 5500 baht.

I asked if the chef was in tonight? the answer, he was but he has gone home already, it made me wonder whether he really knew what kind of food went out in his absence? I guess not.

They say that a happy customer will go away and tell 5 people of their experience and a dissatisfied one will tell 20, well here I am trying to do just that.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Beefeater,

Sad what you have experienced,unfortunately that happens in many well known establishments here.After a long period of establishing themselves & a lot of hard work, they tend to ease off ( chefs that is) & pass more onto their staff, with the ultimate result is having what you experienced.

I would complain, I am sure the chef or management would like to know of your experience.

Beefeater,

Sad what you have experienced,unfortunately that happens in many well known establishments here.After a long period of establishing themselves & a lot of hard work, they tend to ease off ( chefs that is) & pass more onto their staff, with the ultimate result is having what you experienced.

I would complain, I am sure the chef or management would like to know of your experience.

While it is a long time since I have eaten there, I usually understand that everyone can have a bad day, whatever business it is for that matter. The least however the management could do (have done) is offer a generous discount as it seems you have some very valid points. You should have made noise straight away.....

Beefeater,

On the evening in question I asked to speak with the manager, to be told that he was off duty, so by 11pm both the chef and manager had gone home, a letter has already been sent, but as I said before a happy customer will tell few but an unhappy one will tell many, and already 53 people have been told.

These kinds of threads always bother me. Its all so subjective, isn't it?

For all we know, the OP has a grudge against the chef. Just to add, we did have a poster posting very negative reviews of a Samui resort only for it it turn out it was a disgruntled ex employee.

For all we know the owner's mother could have just died and that might explain the poor service and inattentive staff.

Also, how many times have you gone into a restaurant and seen a demanding complaining customer who expects too much? There are people who insist on ordering things not on the menu and then complain when not given what they want (not saying this applies to the OP, just trying to make a point here).

I've gone to a restaurant in Thong Sala and had a terrific meal, two days later and it wasn't so great or they didn't have the ingredients.

Would I then tell people, "don't bother with this restaurant because they didn't have what I ordered" ? No, in fact, usually I will say something along the lines of "this has been my experience but its not always this way, best to try it for yourself & see if you like it"

Instead of posting in the title , "bad restaurants in Samui" , why not post a review instead? "I had a bad experience at Olivio, anyone else have a similar meal"

My two cents worth, but after dealing with the previous experience of a disgruntled ex employee posting (and no, not my place, it was some place on Samui) I am very wary of people starting such threads.

For all we know, the OP has a grudge against the chef. Just to add, we did have a poster posting very negative reviews of a Samui resort only for it it turn out it was a disgruntled ex employee.

For all we know the owner's mother could have just died and that might explain the poor service and inattentive staff.

Also, how many times have you gone into a restaurant and seen a demanding complaining customer who expects too much? There are people who insist on ordering things not on the menu and then complain when not given what they want (not saying this applies to the OP, just trying to make a point here).

I've gone to a restaurant in Thong Sala and had a terrific meal, two days later and it wasn't so great or they didn't have the ingredients.

Would I then tell people, "don't bother with this restaurant because they didn't have what I ordered" ? No, in fact, usually I will say something along the lines of "this has been my experience but its not always this way, best to try it for yourself & see if you like it"

Instead of posting in the title , "bad restaurants in Samui" , why not post a review instead? "I had a bad experience at Olivio, anyone else have a similar meal"

My two cents worth, but after dealing with the previous experience of a disgruntled ex employee posting (and no, not my place, it was some place on Samui) I am very wary of people starting such threads.

For most of your post I agree, sbk.

It can happen all over the world. However, if a restaurant asks a lot of money for 'quality' food they should serve you a perfect meal, together with perfect service, according to their prices; especially if it's an 'award winning restaurant'.

(The bill was Baht 5500 although the OP didn't mention with HOW many guests/partners he was dining....he speaks about "one of my dining partners"...)

Often this is not the case and one leaves the restaurant with a bad 'taste' in the mouth and will not return; instead they will tell their friends and family and in the end the restaurant will suffer or go under.

I think most of us have had very good as well as very bad experiences in restaurants but I wouldn't go back to the bad ones anymore.

I would even go further....a Ladyfriend of mine told me that she went to an expensive restaurant with a group of 6 (in my hometown); starters were some Euro 22/US$ 28,00 :o and the bill was extremely high.

They were ALL very unsatisfied with the food and service.

My thoughts ? I will not go there.

If the OP choosed the right topic title is another matter, but I agree with you.

LaoPo

Fair enough point Mrs super duper moderator, but I am not saying dont go and avoid this place at all costs, each to their own, and I am sure that this restaurant will continue to be busy and win awards but as I had said before, I just wanted to express MY opinion and experience at a top Samui restaurant with all who choose to read it. For sure one bad experience doesnt make it a bad restaurant

And please dont be wary I just want to tell it how it was..!! :o

Beefeater,

At the end of the day its all down to management, i see it all the time in thailand, who sends out this thai girl to take your order that cant speak a word of english ?,. next time ask if the manager is there, perhaps he went out to eat !

Fair enough point Mrs super duper moderator, but I am not saying dont go and avoid this place at all costs, each to their own, and I am sure that this restaurant will continue to be busy and win awards but as I had said before, I just wanted to express MY opinion and experience at a top Samui restaurant with all who choose to read it. For sure one bad experience doesnt make it a bad restaurant

As an ex manager of a fairly up market restuarant i can say that this customer either way should not have left with this impression,. if i had been the manager and he ( the customer ) had a valid complaint it would have been dealt with,. either with another meal,. a free dessert, or a discount offered and a real apolagy,.But i stress the complaints must be made at the time ,. saying nothing and not going back is not the answer, how will the staff realise their downfalls,and on the other hand,management that do nothing and think ,this guy wont be back and good riddance are wrong, and the posting on this forum is proof,.whether one sided or not,...

Actually, it was the title of your thread that I had a problem with. Why not just say "i had a bad experience at Olivios"??? Why say "Bad restaurants in Samui"?

And just to let you know, it pays to be polite. Even to super duper moderators :D

Actually, it was the title of your thread that I had a problem with. Why not just say "i had a bad experience at Olivios"??? Why say "Bad restaurants in Samui"?

In all fairness to the OP, the title of the thread is Bad Restaurants In Samui....olivio, One Of Them, Your experiences & Opinions".

I read that to mean in addition to reading his story, it's an invite to others to post their bad experiences with any restaurant on Samui, not just Olivio.

And please dont be wary I just want to tell it how it was..!! :D

And just to let you know, it pays to be polite. Even to super duper moderators :D

The reason behind the title is that I am interested in peoples experiences of bad Samui restaurants as a thread before had said about favorite ones, so why not a not so favourite thread? starting with my bad experience. Polite as always.... :o

You have to very careful if you are going to slag off a restaurant on the internet.

It is too easy to just list your complaints when no-one can defend themselves.

If you are not happy with your dining experience then just don't go there again.

Better still, go there again and post your feelings here :o

You have to very careful if you are going to slag off a restaurant on the internet.

Does that also go for hotels, motorbike rentals, real estate investments, etc?

For the most part this forum is anonymous (some of you know each other) and you have to expect that some people are not who they make themselves out to be. Just keep that in mind when ever reading any praise or criticism. If there are different opinons on a place that's one thing. It could just mean someone was there on a bad day (every place has them). If multiple posters agree (I assume the mods here can control multiple usernames??) then personally I'd give the opinion more weight. Unless it were about politics or sport that is. :o

If you are not happy with your dining experience then just don't go there again.

Better still, go there again and post your feelings here :o

if you go to a good up market restaurant you exspect good food and service if you dont tell them when its not they cant do anything about it so complain away when its due :D

Well, actually no. It is not subjective at all. The OP has posted comments and opinions regarding his experiences at this place. His expectations are exactly as we would expect – no quirky demands by the OP, just the usual stuff that we all expect. He dint get them, he complains, you think it is subjective. SO let me ask you; a cold main dish costing 1000B is subject to the individuals taste?

For all we know, the OP has a grudge against the chef. Just to add, we did have a poster posting very negative reviews of a Samui resort only for it it turn out it was a disgruntled ex employee

For all we know, you SBK may be best friends with the owner and feel obliged to defend this establishment. It swings both ways SBK. He may be a disgruntled employee, and you may be best friends with the boss. Both are very unlikely. Chances are, he just had a bad experience. Anything more melodramatic is likely of your own imagination. Jeez. Can’t a guy come here and moan without insinuations?

Ummm. Folks, we may have a new critique in the making here. Next time you read a bad restaurant review in any notable print media such as The Times, be sure to take into account that the Chefs mother may have just died. Did you experience a shameful Duck La Orange? Well, take it on the chin buddy…. Chances are, Chef's mother just popped her clogs.

***edited for flame***

I am sorry, but what the fark does that have to do with this? You are suggesting the OP is a bad guy who shouts, screams, lowers the tone and generally encourages bad service? Do you know the OP SBK? Is that not a rather presumptuous insinuation to make? From what the Op has described, he sounded like a true gent; no fuss, no shouting, just humble complaints. Why do you bring bad behavior into the equation?

SBK. Let me quote you. 'Terrific meal' and then 'not so great'. Jeezzz. Comparative to the OP? No. Honestly, you are using ‘not so great’ as an example, in comparison to this guys experience? I agree. A ‘not so great’ evening meal is not worthy of complaining to extreme. However, ‘not so great’ would be an understatement with the OP’s experience. It sucked! The guy paid loads of money and was treated like a **edited for obscenities*** and served <deleted> food! That’s not quite ‘not so great’ now is it mate? Jeez….

Whats the difference? Why do you care about such a trivial point? Blimey, such a trivial reason to pick on the guy as this, and i am begining to believe you are mates with olivios after all.

Well, that is irrelevant SBK. It would be far more noble of you just to come out and say ‘this guy is full of <deleted>, probably worked for Olivios and got fired, and is now coming here to slag them off’

**edited for off topic flame***

Definitely a thread on good restaurants in samui would have less wasted space.

Then we need a definition of what good is.

Good Thai food?

Good English food ,if thats not oxymoron.

The reason behind the title is that I am interested in peoples experiences of bad Samui restaurants as a thread before had said about favorite ones, so why not a not so favourite thread? starting with my bad experience. Polite as always.... :o

First of all, a great location, but it about stopped at that, very busy when we walked in, but managed to secure a table non the less.

It took around 30 mins to receive drinks, badly prepared cocktails and overpriced water, no complementary water here.

Do you want preferential treatment? Do you want serving before everyone else?

The impressive looking menu arrived along with an ok selection of breads, clearly not made in house though

Are you sure?.

First course arrived 25 minutes after ordering, by this time, numbers in the restaurant were down to just three tables, so why the extreme wait? and no explanation offered by unattentive wait staff. When it arrived, well as a rule you always eat with your eyes, and one of my dining partners described his smoked salmon first course as an uncooked pork leg!! A beef carpaccio which had broccoli with it? and this is made by an Italian with over 25 years experience, under seasoned and overpriced as were the other dishes experienced by the rest of the table.

Unfortunately it did arrive 30 minutes after the first course had been cleared, over cooked Australian grain fed beef, over cooked salmon and hard inedible risotto, all this at a price of just over 5500 baht.

I would complain if my meal came instantly - food has to be cooked to order; if you want an instant meal go to KFC

Does that also go for hotels, motorbike rentals, real estate investments, etc?

For the most part this forum is anonymous (some of you know each other) and you have to expect that some people are not who they make themselves out to be. Just keep that in mind when ever reading any praise or criticism. If there are different opinons on a place that's one thing. It could just mean someone was there on a bad day (every place has them). If multiple posters agree (I assume the mods here can control multiple usernames??) then personally I'd give the opinion more weight. Unless it were about politics or sport that is. :o

I agree, freedom of speech !

Do you want preferential treatment? Do you want serving before everyone else?

The impressive looking menu arrived along with an ok selection of breads, clearly not made in house though

Are you sure?.

I would complain if my meal came instantly - food has to be cooked to order; if you want an instant meal go to KFC

Ok Senor Hippo, to address your points.

I would never go out and expect preferential treatment at any restaurant, yes granted the restaurant was busy on arrival by people ALREADY dining, please do remember that this was not some formal banquet sit down at 8pm with all eating at the same time!! from a look around the dining area no one was perusing over menus, that tells me that most surely would have their drinks already, barr top ups.

So after sitting at a table and ordering drinks, a 30 minute wait is acceptable to you? And for your info, a bloody mary, mojito, a bottle of water and a carafe of wine, still acceptable Mr Hippo?

Bread yes I am sure, why, because I know a thing or two about bread in restaurants.

And yes for sure a instant meal is also bad as granted it does take time to create food, but after the first course is cleared do you think that the wait staff will go to the kitchen and then order the main course? from scratch, no chance. Who wants instant, in a fine dining situation? If I had wanted instant I would have eaten cow man gai, no I wanted a dining experience, not a small sleep in between courses.

You have managed to discredit your argument right at the start by describing smoked salmon as an uncooked pork leg that is a first, you must have eaten some rather stange salmon/pork legs in your time I am sure Michael Winner is ruuning for cover now the now the new food critic on the block has turned up!

I agree with SBK it sounds like there maybe more to the story the meets the eye.

You have managed to discredit your argument right at the start by describing smoked salmon as an uncooked pork leg that is a first, you must have eaten some rather stange salmon/pork legs in your time I am sure Michael Winner is ruuning for cover now the now the new food critic on the block has turned up!

I agree with SBK it sounds like there maybe more to the story the meets the eye.

And you might also be the owner of the said resturant, and "pays to be polite" ($$)????

Isn't it allowed to complain here no more??

My 50 cent

And you might also be the owner of the said resturant, and "pays to be polite" ($$)????

Isn't it allowed to complain here no more??

My 50 cent

I am not the said owner but you don't have to be Gordon Ramsey to know that anyone who refers to somked salmon in the same vein as an uncooked pork leg either has an axe to grind or they don't know what they are talking about this is not rocket science.

And before I get the usual accusations I do not own a restaurant or a resort just trying to give some balance to some wonky eyed comments!!!!!