Air pollution linked to far higher Covid-19 death rates, study finds

donnacha

Uh-oh!

Guardian LINK: Air pollution linked to far higher Covid-19 death rates, study finds

Air pollution is linked to significantly higher rates of death in people with Covid-19, according to analysis.

The work shows that even a tiny, single-unit increase in particle pollution levels in the years before the pandemic is associated with a 15% increase in the death rate. The research, done in the US, calculates that slightly cleaner air in Manhattan in the past could have saved hundreds of lives.

A separate report from scientists in Italy notes that the high death rates seen in the north of the country correlate with the highest levels of air pollution.

A small increase in exposure to particle pollution over 15-20 years was already known to increase the risk of death from all causes, but the new work shows this increase is 20 times higher for Covid-19 deaths.

“The results are statistically significant and robust,” they said. The study took account of a range of factors, including poverty levels, smoking, obesity, and the number of Covid-19 tests and hospital beds available.

They also assessed the effect of removing from the analysis both New York City, which has had many cases, and counties with fewer than 10 confirmed Covid-19 cases.

Edited by donnacha

Oh boy, here we go, the barn door has been opened for the PM 2.5 issue, the fires, the traffic, burning rice...etc...Glad I have to 2 air purifiers in my condo, With my PM 2.5 meter, I just checked outside on my balcony, of course it is the 45th floor, and the Bangkok PM 2.5 right now in Sathon is 32, and the relative humidity is 51, with a good cloud cover.  Not sure what ground level is at

• Like 1