Roaring silence the only arrival at Suvarnabhumi

snoop1130

Roaring silence the only arrival at Suvarnabhumi

By The Nation

800_7819ea2eeb58833.jpg

The normally busy Suvarnabhumi Airport stands empty after the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) barred planes from landing between April 7 and 18.

The prohibition is part of new directives issued by the government aimed at halting the spread of Covid-19 in Thailand.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385696

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-09

Except that planes were still arriving during those days, as they are still arriving now.

Just without any passengers (unless there is the odd one from the "exempt" list).

Most of the flights arriving are to pick people up and take them away from Thailand. My g/f flew out yesterday morning (on Qatar Air) on her way to Germany where she arrived last night (Thai time).
The Canadian Embassy notes that Lufthansa, Qatar, Eva and Korean Airlines still have flights (some daily) departing Suvarnabhumi to other destinations (where connections can then be made for onward travel to Europe or the Americas or other destinations).

Still, by comparison, it must look like a ghost town at the Terminal these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The reality is, that less tourists are better for us expats. 

... do you really think that when this is over they [the Government] will still want you here [or allow you to] ?

Thailand will be a chinese suburb ... and the Chinese are kicking out Foreigners for quite some time already !

This is a global take over with Europe being the big loser and China the big winner !!!

The Virus BS is just the cover story.

The reason you see flights still arriving (yes some may be leaving with some passengers for repatriation) is that they (some) need to keep the routes open, or they lose them, my city has planes landing, and then taking off without even getting to the terminal.

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

... do you really think that when this is over they [the Government] will still want you here [or allow you to] ?

Thailand will be a chinese suburb ... and the Chinese are kicking out Foreigners for quite some time already !

This is a global take over with Europe being the big loser and China the big winner !!!

The Virus BS is just the cover story.

I think there is no doubt that this Covid thing is not what it appears to be. No idea what it is yet. But, it is not as it seems. Is it a major Chinese conspiracy? I do not know. Thailand has not been quite as cosy with the Chicoms as they have been with Japan, and alot of other nations. So, I question your appraisal. No doubt China is seeking world domination. And no doubt they will surpass the US easily, within the next decade, in terms of GDP. They are simply too smart, and the US is simply too dumb and brain dead, and already an empire in decline for a long time now. 

But, what this Covid is really about remains to be seen. If we will ever know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, spidermike007 said:

What can one even say? I expect they might get 11 million arrivals this year, if they stop the disingenuous habit of counting all passengers who transit through the nation, as tourist arrivals. 

Do you have any evidence of this?  I see it spouted on here often but no-one ever backs it up.

So, please share the evidence that they count transit passengers as tourists.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So, please share the evidence that they count transit passengers as tourists.

They count them as "arrivals" but then use the same figures to suggest they are all tourists.

For evidence, see any TAT press release.

8 minutes ago, donnacha said:

They count them as "arrivals" but then use the same figures to suggest they are all tourists.

For evidence, see any TAT press release.

So you really think they count the number of people on planes, and not the number of people passing immigration?  Someone is asking for the passenger manifests of all flights passing through and noting that down and passing it to the TAT?  

Yet again, another one making the claim with no evidence.  Please, where's the evidence that they count transit passengers - who are not passing through immigration - as arrivals, and that they then count those as tourists.  A TAT press release is not evidence of that.

4 minutes ago, donnacha said:

You are being contrarian and lazy.

If this is so important to you, spend five minutes googling for the transit figures, then see if the same numbers magically appear in TAT press releases from around the time.

Everyone sees through this pathetic tactic of whining about others providing "no evidence". It is not our responsibility to make you aware of basic facts that everyone with more than 3 brain cells already knows. Go and do your bloody homework.

OK, so you don't have any.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 12:48 AM, spidermike007 said:

Will tourism in Thailand ever recover? Will the Chinese, who were the first one shut out, return in the tens of millions like before? I do not think so. Thailand tourism was already declining, as they were choosing quantity over quality, and the lazy army was taking the easy route, not fixing any of the problems or issues plaguing the nation, such as the heinously toxic air, the famously dangerous highways, the scams, the immigration woes, the lack of expertise, english skills, great service at five stars, etc. etc. Nor, did they even consider tourism important enough to hire a competent Tourism minister, with experience in the field, as they went directly to the bottom of the barrel, and selected Pipat. 

What can one even say? I expect they might get 11 million arrivals this year, if they stop the disingenuous habit of counting all passengers who transit through the nation, as tourist arrivals. Next year? The year after?

The reality is, that less tourists are better for us expats. But, millions of Thais will suffer, as they are dependent on tourism for their livelihoods. Just one more failure on the part of the army. Covid was just one element in this devastation of a once thriving industry. 

I bet there will be a large switch to Cambodia.  Cambodia news has been pretty quiet on the scale of things

On 4/14/2020 at 3:51 AM, gk10002000 said:

I bet there will be a large switch to Cambodia.  Cambodia news has been pretty quiet on the scale of things

Yes. Already there have been huge Chinese investments in Cambodia. I also would include Vietnam (despite some historical animosities between them), Malaysia, Indonesia, Laos, Burma and the PI to the list. Thailand has alot of competition now. They have taken a huge financial hit. Many of us are hoping this recent shutdown brings with it some humility on the part of the army and immigration, if that is possible.