Buying A House

I hope someone out there can help me with my query below:

My wife told that I have to sign a piece of document to give her the right to buy a house in BKK in her name. I have already done that previously when we bought a piece of land in her name in her hometown. She insisted that I have to sign a document to say that I have given her the money to buy the land. I know she is pulling a fast one on me.. I suspect this document might give her the right to own the property outright and me not having any claim on the property she acquired in her name (with my money). Have anybody out there done similar arrangement?

I'm by no means an expert, and you'll have to await the legal beavers to confirm my thinking, but if your wife has your surname or the land office is aware she is married to a foreigner, then it is quite feasible that she needs such a letter before the land office will agree to transfer land in her name. This is to assure them that she is not acting as your nominee.

You signing such a document will have no bearings on your right to have you share of the joint marital estate upon divorce, but whether or not you sign the paper, it is unlikely that you could get your hands on her land, without a bloody good lawyer and trawling through the courts for years - and even then I doubt it.

Have you thought about a 30 year lease back or a usufruct? Plenty of info in this forum about these options to give you some security.

In this instance, IMHO, your wife is not pulling a fast one.

I hope someone out there can help me with my query below:

My wife told that I have to sign a piece of document to give her the right to buy a house in BKK in her name. I have already done that previously when we bought a piece of land in her name in her hometown. She insisted that I have to sign a document to say that I have given her the money to buy the land. I know she is pulling a fast one on me.. I suspect this document might give her the right to own the property outright and me not having any claim on the property she acquired in her name (with my money). Have anybody out there done similar arrangement?

When you sign that paper it is saying that you have no claim on the property. What kind of claim do you think you would have if you didn't sign it? For that matter do you think you would have any rights to any property in Thailand? If you believe she is pulling a fast one on you you shouldn't be buying her property in the first place.