Have yourself a "Virtual Songkran": Police tell Thailand: "Don't even think about setting up a water tank outside your home!"

webfact

Have yourself a "Virtual Songkran": Police tell Thailand: "Don't even think about setting up a water tank outside your home!"

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A police spokesman has warned the Thai public that even setting up a water tank and buckets outside their homes to play Songkran is illegal this year.

And people have been told to stay away from relatives and have a "Virtual Songkran" instead of the real thing.

Already big events have been cancelled and Songkran - hitherto a nationwide frenzy of water battles and boozing - has been delayed.

Sanook reported that the government's cultural department advised against going to country villages to pay respects to old people.

Stay home was their message and do your blessings on video link on phones. 

Some people think they will be able to get away with throwing water at passersby instead of attending big parties. 

Think again. 

Lt-Gen Piya Uthayo acting as spokesperson for the RTP said you could be arrested for that. 

It contravenes the emergency decree banning congregating.

People should stay inside their homes and not play Songkran at all, was the message. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Liverpoolfan said:

No.

Just to show that these lot don't practice what they preach.

They preach a good lockdown but will they also abide by it?

Let's see shall we.

Of course most will abide by the good lockdown as you know full well,just as you and everybody else knows their will be some recalcitrants out there but to go out and take photos of those to participate in the publish and shame game does little to encourage good relations in this time of heightened tensions and would only serve to raise the bar so to speak.Also most people are guilty of not practicing what they preach which is exactly what you propose to do.

36 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I'm personally going outside with a camera during the daytime to see just how many locals comply with this law.

My bet is that quite a few will still be drunk dancing in the street with dreadful music blasting, surrounded by barrels of water.

Pictures to follow soon..

I agree, i'm sure people with continue with this stupid event - nothing can stop it!

12 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Why not turn a negative into a very positive action. Just add detergent to your bucket of water and wash away the virus off everyone as well as everything. Problem solved!!

Bleach

41 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I'm personally going outside with a camera during the daytime to see just how many locals comply with this law.

Be sure to put it in a plastic bag so it doesn't get soaked by the numerous Songkran revellers!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Thinking! Is'nt that a foreign concept?

Yes , it's hard to imagine that there is some kind of original thought process that dictates throwing water in strangers faces is a brilliant concept.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Yes , it's hard to imagine that there is some kind of original thought process that dictates throwing water in strangers faces is a brilliant concept.

Hey, guess what, they do it to each other too! Crazy hey! ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Didn’t Bangkok or some jurisdiction say just the other day you can celebrate but stay in your own neighborhood? I’m too lazy to track down the article and maybe I “misunderstood “ 

Yes, you misunderstood. It was Phuket BTW. Songkran, in the meaning of 'staying in your neighbourhood and washing elder's feet' is allowed, gatherings, water festivities etc are not allowed is what he said.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

the whole lockdown now in pattaya is because of songkran...

Yeah, right!

Pattaya's Coronavirus Cock-up: Chaos on first day of lockdown as leaders scurry for rethink