Covid-19 = no food stalls=starving soi dogs - please help them!

Card

6 minutes ago, Card said:

Won't work. A starving dog is more dangerous than a fed one. All those dangers you mention are accentuated by starvation. Rotting dead bodies are a source of disease and infection. I don't advocate feeding soi dogs under normal conditions unless it is necessary to prevent starvation.

get off your backside and find out how you can support a neutering programme and take care of the problem you've contributed to. Like i said before arrange to meet Pattaya City Hall, plus dog charities about

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I'm not saying it is simple problem to solve, but you and all the other people feeding them are adding to and accentuating the problem.

I understand that it is entertaining and makes you feel good about yourself, but you have no idea what problems may be caused by the dogs you are "sponsoring". 

There needs to be a cull, and that is not your responsibility, but in the meantime you are literally fueling the problem. Fed dogs can cause plenty of problems.

If you want a cull then do something about it. In the meantime starving dogs are more of a problem than fed ones.

13 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

thats right, where else in the world do u see wild packs of mongrel dogs roaming the streets?  

Now is the time to do away with them.

What utter rot! There is only one country in the world that claims to have no stray dogs. That one being Holland. Every country I have visited, and that's a lot, have issues with wild dogs, especially the Asian ones.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I no longer walk or cycle where there are a high number of dogs i.e. Pratamak. The other problem is every taxi bike area has their resident soi dog, as these guys stop working these dogs will become more of a problem

So get on your bike and do something about it! You want culling/sterilisation - so go to City hall instead of sitting on your backside and whingeing. I want to prevent the potential acute problem of ravenous dogs and infected corpses. It may not work but it is something.

Very few people like these dogs, they create alot of rabies, they kill some kids with the rabies they spread around, and they lead absolutely miserable lives of desperation. Some Buddhists have a misconception that feeding them creates merit. It would be best for all, if they were all just put down. They are a blight on the landscape, a boil on the face of the nation, and are filthy and disease infested. Do the right thing. Take them all out.

Feeding them is the worst thing you can do for them. Some of the smarter town, and cities, that are progressive, cull them regularly. But not often enough.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Card said:

If you want a cull then do something about it. In the meantime starving dogs are more of a problem than fed ones.

From understanding the people that are feeding the soi dogs know the least about dog behaviour and the problems these pests are creating for our society that have to adapt to a lifestyle that fits in with these dogs. All you are doing is making these dogs healthier enough to carry on breeding.

Even this dog charity says you should not feed these wild dogs.

"Throughout the country, millions of stray dogs and cats overwhelm the streets, beaches, and temples. The massive number of stray animals is due to several reasons, for one, according to Buddhist culture, people can make merit by feeding stray animals. This act of kindness helps dogs and cats survive, but it also means that they reproduce much more successfully."

https://www.four-paws.org.uk/campaigns-topics/topics/help-for-strays/stray-animal-care-in-thailand

You may think you are being kind to these unfortunate creatures, but you are creating even more problems, start thinking with your head and not your heart.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very few people like these dogs, they create alot of rabies, they kill some kids with the rabies they spread around, and they lead absolutely miserable lives of desperation. Some Buddhists have a misconception that feeding them creates merit. It would be best for all, if they were all just put down. They are a blight on the landscape, a boil on the face of the nation, and are filthy and disease infested. Do the right thing. Take them all out.

Feeding them is the worst thing you can do for them. Some of the smarter town, and cities, that are progressive, cull them regularly. But not often enough.

Go on then, do something.

17 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

If the Thais were responsible, these dogs wouldn't be around.

Wild packs of mongreals roaming the streets, get rid of them all, not feed them.

Yes, I'm sick of people feeding the poor little doggies.

Many times I've been out on my bike to be scared <deleted>less by a loud bark, sometimes accompanied by bared teeth slavering towards a leg.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably the dogs will start ending up as food over the next few weeks

Haha   just yesterday the local government came round handing out  WuFlu virus booklets

some of the advice includes   eat only fresh and clean food, use central spoon

( not everyone dipping in with their own spoon)

don't eat food made from hard to find animals...and next to that a picture of a cat !

210794406_wuflubookcat.thumb.jpg.50b690c44b47d5547ccb292255343702.jpg

I said to my wife  we should be ok as there are plenty of not hard to find stray cats and dogs around here to eat. ????

They probably meant the cat  was in relation to number 7  avoid touching animals without protection.

Edited by johng

18 hours ago, Card said:

We all know that culling or better, sterilisation, is the best solution. That is obvious. But you want me to do that or are you volunteering? In the meantime, I prefer to reduce their suffering and help them to stay alive or there will be rotting fetid corpses everywhere with nobody around to take them away. The dogs on Jomtien beach are friendly, used to humans and cause no problems as far as I have found. They don't deserve the consequences of Covid.

Seen the great unwashed, elephant washers feeding the temple dogs, which is usually the local epicenter of the dog problems.  Never seen them cleaning up the piles in 22 years, though.  You really notice it during the dry season.  Kill them, and the dogs, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, Card said:

There's always one like you. Always. You could say the same about homeless people, and you probably do.

There's always somebody that thinks it's OK to feed stray animals while making the plight of the people worse.

https://www.facebook.com/DogAttacksThailand/

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, Card said:

Of course, isn't that kinda obvious? There are many mammals hanging around that are potential reservoirs for rabies incl. rats, rabbits, mice, squirrels, even if cats and dogs are the most risky. Everyone should be vaccinated for rabies prevention in Thailand, especially beach lovers. As a beachlover exposed to beach dogs so should you - have you? I've had all my Verorab injections and if seriously exposed to another risk would get immunotherapy and a booster. I don't touch these dogs or feed them by hand.

Yes I did get rabies vaccination, but it does not mean one can't get rabies if bitten. It just gives more time to seek help for follow up treatment.